Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Springer for 14 year old  (Read 2843 times)

Minime

Springer for 14 year old
« on: August 12, 2011, 02:52:27 pm »

Hi I'm going to buy some materials for my 14 year old brother, for a springer tug. The idea is I gather all the material needed, he does the work. Not sure what plan to go after and thickness and kind of wood. Needs to be fairly easy for him to saw, as I won't help him with the jig saw.

Minime

Re: Springer for 14 year old
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 03:57:47 pm »

been reading around, seems 6mm plates would be good enough? Still no sure what I need for the bottom of the tug, is it a single plate bended along the shape of the sides?

chingdevil

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 04:00:29 pm »

Plenty of information here on springers, http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3471.0.
Stick with the standard size, it is nice and easy to build and hold.
On my springers I have always used 8mm ply for the sides and ends, with 1.5mm ply for the bottom. A 550 motor and two 6volt 4ah batteries in parallel for power and ballast, the r/c, esc and servo are up to you whatever is your preference.

When he builds it ensure he puts a high coaming around the opening, mine is 25mm hig at full power the springer will take on the characteristics of a submarine. At full speed mine has had over 25mm of water washing over the decks, I am sure there are some pictures of springers on here with their decks awash.

Keep us informed how it goes, post plenty of pictures.

Good luck

Brian

Minime

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 04:07:55 pm »

Ah thanks, we'll do it the same way then. How long should the 1.5mm sheet of ply be?

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 05:43:19 pm »

How do the shops sell it where you are ? You will need 51cm or 53cm 1.5mm ply.  One piece is best but a cross brace at any joint is a good idea. If you have access to the municipal dump  , check for discarded  wooden drawers. Some have solid wood sides of about1.5 cm is minimum but bow and transom could be a bit more, say 2cm, this will ease construction when fixing the 1.5 ply.  I had a near miss today, a new condition bedside set of drawers were buried under a pile of timber and couldn't be retrieved excepy one drawer. Dang it I could see a rake of Springer barges there :((
..well can you land on this?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 21 queries.