Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Television Licensing  (Read 10356 times)

Korky

Television Licensing
« on: August 12, 2011, 04:07:33 pm »

After nearly 6 weeks of enforced "stay at home" duty imposed by the Medicos , I have come to the conclusion that...........

1. The present £150.00 TV license fee is nothing less than a fraud being perpetrated upon the British public by what appears to be (to me at least) a government controlled quango, and represents NO value for the fee payable at all !

2.  From October 2011, I have decided that should I wish to view programmes made years before, and repeated with monotonous regularity day in day out, week in week out, then the there are many other means available to the viewing public other than the soon to be redundant (hopefully) BBC.

3. No doubt after the above date I shall be treated to various letters from the TV licensing people, making me aware of the "horrendous" penalties awaiting me should I use my non existent TV. I did seek advice on this matter a few weeks ago, and that was to ignore any letters, and in the probable event of an enquiry agent calling, to politely ask him to leave. The letters will continue, I have been reliably informed, but to answer any of them would merely place the householder at greater risk of continued "official harassment", non reply being the order of the day.

4. British television is rapidly emulating the garbage being broadcast by other countries (notably the USA) in that programmes are being endlessly repeated, and it's a bad sign when the cooking shows and DIY progs are aired thrice weekly, and furthermore, I'm NOT interested in how the police dealt with crime several years ago, having witnessed just how it was dealt with in the past week ! I don't seem to recall seeing any Scoobies or EVOs screeching to a halt, their occupants leaping out armed with Tasers and CS spays and arresting the baddies...but then again I might not have been looking closely enough !

Never mind fellas, soon be Christmas again, and time once more for those evergreens faves....White Christmas, Great Escape, Wizard of OZ, and who could forget The Sound of Music ?  (I have, in fact NEVER seen it)

In short....The BBC can emulate both a Penguin and a Pelican, in that they too can stick their bill up their ar*e

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: Television Licensing
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 04:15:37 pm »

Dont go for Sky then or you will have loads more channels of repeats day in day out. >>:-(
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Korky

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 04:26:40 pm »

Dont go for Sky then or you will have loads more channels of repeats day in day out. >>:-(

Sky can stick it's bill even further up it's vent... Do I sound like a person who wants to deal with anything remotely connected to the Maf Murdoch "family" ?

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 04:27:24 pm »

If you have a 'non existent TV ' it must be a bit of a problem watching anything.
Watching I player or likewise 'at the same time as the aired programme' needs
the license anyway >:-o >:-o >:-o

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Korky

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 04:38:27 pm »

If you have a 'non existent TV ' it must be a bit of a problem watching anything.
Watching I player or likewise 'at the same time as the aired programme' needs
the license anyway >:-o >:-o >:-o

Ned

NED...with respect  pleas re read my OP and note the following line...

2.  From October 2011, I have decided that should I wish to view programmes made years before, and repeated with monotonous regularity day in day out, week in week out, then the there are many other means available to the viewing public other than the soon to be redundant (hopefully) BBC

MY present TV set will be non existent from the date I stated, but will no doubt be real enough to the "snoops" sent around by a Corporation that could well be snapped up by the Murdoch Maf Family given half a chance....watch this space !

As for watching IPlayer repeated programmes, you are TOTALLY wrong as they consist of Streaming Video and require NO license at all !
Only if programmes were viewed at the same time as they are being transmitted would it be necessary to purchase any form of receiving license.

And I DID state that if I wanted to watch repeat after repeat, I could always use various other methods  didn't I ????

Methinks the BBC have a large number of the viewing public "bricking it"

Korky ( ex TOBS Technician BBC Television)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 04:42:41 pm »

Try reading Korky, you choose whatever you like then.

Colin

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 04:46:01 pm »

I havent seen a BBC broadcast in over 12 months - in fact I havent seen a UK broadcast in that time.............and I still live in the uk.

We live in our motorhome and have a satellite system that is fixed on a satellite broadcasting French programming (arts, culture, news, local TV in French regions.........).

My wife is French and this is her way of keeping a thin thread with her homeland - and my way of improving my understanding of the language and culture...

.............................no repeats, no mindless drivel..............and NO licence fee to pay!!!!!!!!

Happy? Me? You bet!!!

Carl

Korky

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 04:48:52 pm »

Try reading Korky, you choose whatever you like then.

Colin

Presently watching Red Bull TV ....and shaking  in me boots should the knock at the door come soonish !   ( not)  Ever heard of Zattoo Colin ?   thought not !   have a look some time  eh ?

Korks

Korky

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 05:00:40 pm »

I havent seen a BBC broadcast in over 12 months - in fact I havent seen a UK broadcast in that time.............and I still live in the uk.

We live in our motorhome and have a satellite system that is fixed on a satellite broadcasting French programming (arts, culture, news, local TV in French regions.........).

My wife is French and this is her way of keeping a thin thread with her homeland - and my way of improving my understanding of the language and culture...

.............................no repeats, no mindless drivel..............and NO licence fee to pay!!!!!!!!

Happy? Me? You bet!!!

Carl

And I don't blame you in the slightest Carl, I too watch France 24 (available in French AND English)   Russia Today (Russian AND English) Al Jazeera (Arabic AND English) and myriad other channels all being broadcast in English, and being foreign satellite broadcasts, require NO licence at all.
And what's more, the news content of these channels is in NO way censored or controlled by HMG as so very much of mainland TV News is nowadays.

What's that I just heard   " Next Sunday...another chance to see the best of Songs of Praise from 2008 "

Power to the people Carl

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 05:12:02 pm »

Korky get a grip
I said that watching I player AT THE SAME TIME AS THE BROADCAST needs a licence
Thats all

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Korky

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 05:17:06 pm »

Korky get a grip
I said that watching I player AT THE SAME TIME AS THE BROADCAST needs a licence
Thats all

Ned

Me get a grip Ned ?

I said that as from October 2011 I would have a non existent TV set....anyone fancy a Sony 28" flat screen c/w stand ?

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 05:38:57 pm »

Well, I'm always amazed when they say there's nothing on TV, If you have a reasonable range of interests you should fine something to amuse you.
You have to remember that one man's meat is anothers poison.
So what would you want a programme to feature?
I know I don't want to watch French TV 24/7
At least the BBC don't have adverts every ten minutes, although they do repeat trailers far tooooooo often.

£150 a year is about the same as a pint of bitter a week........................

Korky

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 05:54:45 pm »

Well, I'm always amazed when they say there's nothing on TV, If you have a reasonable range of interests you should fine something to amuse you. (time after time after time)
You have to remember that one man's meat is anothers poison. (back to cooking programmes)
So what would you want a programme to feature?  (less repeated dumbed down drivel )
I know I don't want to watch French TV 24/7  (Not even when the programme is in English and features far more unbiased coverage of world events?)
At least the BBC don't have adverts every ten minutes, although they do repeat trailers far tooooooo often.   (NO   they have blatant product placement instead)

£150 a year is about the same as a pint of bitter a week........................(OK if you're a drinker I guess !)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 06:54:22 pm »

NED...with respect  pleas re read my OP and note the following line...

2.  From October 2011, I have decided that should I wish to view programmes made years before, and repeated with monotonous regularity day in day out, week in week out, then the there are many other means available to the viewing public other than the soon to be redundant (hopefully) BBC

MY present TV set will be non existent from the date I stated, but will no doubt be real enough to the "snoops" sent around by a Corporation that could well be snapped up by the Murdoch Maf Family given half a chance....watch this space !

As for watching IPlayer repeated programmes, you are TOTALLY wrong as they consist of Streaming Video and require NO license at all !
Only if programmes were viewed at the same time as they are being transmitted would it be necessary to purchase any form of receiving license.

And I DID state that if I wanted to watch repeat after repeat, I could always use various other methods  didn't I ????

Methinks the BBC have a large number of the viewing public "bricking it"

Korky ( ex TOBS Technician BBC Television)
When will you people take notice. US COLOUR BLIND FOLKS CANNOT READ BLACK WRITING ON RED BACKGROUND. >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 07:07:06 pm »

US COLOUR BLIND FOLKS CANNOT READ BLACK WRITING ON RED BACKGROUND

So how do you know what was said Richard? Not that it was really worth reading anyway.

Colin

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2011, 07:07:45 pm »

Code: [Select]
When will you people take notice. US COLOUR BLIND FOLKS CANNOT READ BLACK WRITING ON RED BACKGROUND. >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(
you've not missed much %)

Korky

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2011, 07:08:31 pm »

So how do you know what was said Richard? Not that it was really worth reading anyway.

Colin

Thank you for those few kind words Colin....always appreciated !

Korky

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2011, 07:09:02 pm »

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2011, 07:47:56 pm »

No problem Korky but you do come across as being a trifle aggressive. Don't want to watch crap TV, fine, neither do I, but no need to make a song and dance about it. Some people like the repeats, they find it comforting. Takes all sorts. Chill out!

Colin

Korky

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2011, 10:04:24 pm »

No problem Korky but you do come across as being a trifle aggressive. Don't want to watch 'rubbish' TV, fine, neither do I, but no need to make a song and dance about it. Some people like the repeats, they find it comforting. Takes all sorts. Chill out!

Colin

In my honest and very personally informed opinion, the BBC is a bloated unregulated organisation which wastes millions of pounds of public money every day.
It is not unbiased in it's opinions and is therefore not representative of the community it purports to serve.
I honestly think it might be best to scrap the license fee altogether and make the BBC stand on it's own two feet commercially, which it has proved already by accepting commercially "paid for" corporate product placement.

But then again...what would I know about the subject, being a mere ex Corpy employee ?

If watching (and paying for) repeat after repeat makes you and others feel "comfortable" then so be it, but I posted my OWN personal opinion on this topic and was treated to an example of the "git them wagons in a circle and look after them women and young folk" mentality that is so very typical of online forums nowadays, it's true title being MOBBING !

So long and thanks for all the fish....Douglas Adams

craftysod

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2011, 10:25:55 pm »

I agree with you Korky,
Load of trash on bbc,watch the cable channels myself,but the question is,
because you have a pc or laptop,you can still recieve bbc signal you still have to pay.
I stand to be corrected
Mark

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2011, 10:27:48 pm »

If watching (and paying for) repeat after repeat makes you and others feel "comfortable"

I never said it was my opinion. Some of what you say is indubitably correct. You are perfectly entitled to your opinion but don't knock those who think a bit differently.

Your comments do seem to confirm that you have a rather aggrieved attitude and expect others to fall in with your own views. Well, sorry, I prefer to make up my own mind. No doubt the answer is 42.

Colin

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2011, 10:38:05 pm »

Who is ......Douglas Adams? ....I don't think we  get that show or know him in OZ  {-) {-) .....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2011, 10:44:54 pm »

Well, he's dead now Derek.... Or maybe roaming the Cosmos.

Colin

Korky

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2011, 10:50:26 pm »

I agree with you Korky,
Load of trash on bbc,watch the cable channels myself,but the question is,
because you have a pc or laptop,you can still recieve bbc signal you still have to pay.
I stand to be corrected
Mark

Thanks Mark, but if you're watching a BBC repeat (on I player)  or a Satellite Channel (ie Zatto) no license is required !
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.