Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Television Licensing  (Read 10357 times)

Korky

Re: Television Licensing
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2011, 10:53:51 pm »

Who is ......Douglas Adams? ....I don't think we  get that show or know him in OZ  {-) {-) .....Derek

He wrote "Hitchhiker's Guide To The Billabong" I believe, but then again I could be wrong ( yet again)

and lay off the red n black please !

Korky (the cat)

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2011, 11:01:59 pm »

OK you guys,enough is enough,how about using this site for model boating,which I do for fun, not aggression.If people can be so aggressive over a subject like BBC, no wonder this country is getting riots on our streets.and don't forget, there is a switch on the TV that says OFF!

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2011, 11:07:14 pm »

So how do you know what was said Richard? Not that it was really worth reading anyway.

Colin
I dont Colin  >>:-(
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Korky

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2011, 11:07:31 pm »

OK you guys,enough is enough,how about using this site for model boating,which I do for fun, not aggression.If people can be so aggressive over a subject like BBC, no wonder this country is getting riots on our streets.and don't forget, there is a switch on the TV that says OFF!

err....As I had to remind a person who prefers to remain nameless, only last week........

Chit-Chat
Almost anything you like in here

Korky

Korky

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2011, 11:09:50 pm »

I dont Colin  >>:-(

Richard.... please remember...other colours ARE available

Korky

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2011, 11:19:42 pm »

Richard.... please remember...other colours ARE available

Korky
Then why don't you flamin use them.  >>:-(
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2011, 12:04:39 am »

Korky, I strongly suggest you moderate your aggressive attitude or risk sanctions. Just because someone does not agree with you does not constitute a reason for belligerent remarks. As Colin Bishop said, most of what you said was not worth reading anyway, AND it is only your opinion. You are correct in one thing, and that is Chit Chat is the place for "Almost anything you like", but that does not grant a licence for aggressive posts.

Consider yourself warned.

Peter Fitness,
Moderator.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2011, 02:41:09 am »

Thanks Colin....I truly did not know of Douglas Adams..........it was only when a newer member  :P referred to " thanks for all the fish".... >:-o ...I wondered if Douglas was a modern day version of that famous older Biblical fisherman named Peter  O0

Please lets not  <*< >>:-( bring any disparaging remarks .... if one believes the Scriptures...... :-)) .....Peter was an amazing man to catch so many fish........ ;)

Again an example of personal choice expressed & presented here on Mayhem.......:o %) ....Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2011, 05:10:04 am »

Meanwhile, back at the original topic %) Australia has had no TV licence requirement for viewers since 1974, according to Wikipedia.

Peter.

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2011, 06:49:29 am »

Good gosh,... first I have ever heard of such a thing... a TV License?
If you watch or record broadcast television you need a license to have the television in your home?

Absolute drivel...  >:-o

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2011, 07:57:02 am »

Absolute drivel...  >:-o

I agree absolutely, Umi. I can remember when inspectors used to drive around looking for TV antennas on houses, then checking if the occupants had a licence :police: Eventually the government saw sense - a very rare occurrence in itself :-)

Peter.

Dekan

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2011, 08:05:55 am »

The TV licences IMO is just another stealth tax.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2011, 08:30:31 am »

The TV licences IMO is just another stealth tax.

Stealth taxes are a relatively recent concept, the TV licence predates them by decades.

Umi, it's a legacy thing. The licence fee goes to fund the BBC (whether they spend it wisely is another matter altogether) but it does have the advantage that on the BBC channels there is no formal commercial advertising so you can actually watch the programmes from start to finish. When I was in the States a few years back half the broadcasting time on TV programmes was taken up with commercial breaks or 'messages from our sponsor' Definitely drivel! As the Springsteen song has it '57 channels and nothin' on'. He was describing American TV and he was dead right!

I suppose it is what you are used to really, most people in the UK think that the US healthcare system is almost medieval!

Colin

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2011, 09:13:47 am »

The name "stealth Tax" is an invention of the Tory Party. To make a tax seem unfair.

TV licence pays for all BBC TV and radio programmes, it's up front and visible. If you don't want to pay don't have a TV, you'll get the radio free then :-))

It would be interesting to know how much TV advertising adds to the price of a product, because commercial TV is not free, it has to paid for by some one...and that's you, in the price of goods, now that is a "stealth tax"

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2011, 09:39:12 am »

Not only were there TV licences, way back in the dim dark ages but Radio licences as well.

However Uz Ossies saw de light an no more licences.

Korky, Therefore the solution to your dilemma is zimple come to Oz and watch all the repeats you like for Free we also screen some BBC shows on the ABC. O0 O0 O0 {-) {-)

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2011, 10:41:20 am »

Not only were there TV licences, way back in the dim dark ages but Radio licences as well.

However Uz Ossies saw de light an no more licences.

Korky, Therefore the solution to your dilemma is zimple come to Oz and watch all the repeats you like for Free we also screen some BBC shows on the ABC. O0 O0 O0 {-) {-)

Indeed, but look at the state of your tele.... adverts interupted by programmes.

LB

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2011, 11:10:11 am »

Looks like good ole Auntie Beeb is going into advertising judging by the number of self adverts it shows.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2011, 11:50:22 am »

Looks like good ole Auntie Beeb is going into advertising judging by the number of self adverts it shows.

Regards  Ian.
But only between programmes, not every ten minutes.

Which is why I never listen to commercial radio

guitar man

« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2011, 12:15:02 pm »

At 150 pounds that about 3 pound a week, I think about the cost of a cheap dvd or a rental one for a night. for people that watch TV (very little myself) that don't seem too bad to me if you are a soap person that a fairly cheap form of entertainment. But would still like to see it for free.

Regards Tony

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2011, 12:57:32 pm »

But would still like to see it for free.

Happy to have adverts then? It has to be paid for somehow.

Dekan

« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2011, 01:07:06 pm »

Stealth taxes are a relatively recent concept, the TV licence predates them by decades.

Umi, it's a legacy thing. The licence fee goes to fund the BBC (whether they spend it wisely is another matter altogether) but it does have the advantage that on the BBC channels there is no formal commercial advertising so you can actually watch the programmes from start to finish. When I was in the States a few years back half the broadcasting time on TV programmes was taken up with commercial breaks or 'messages from our sponsor' Definitely drivel! As the Springsteen song has it '57 channels and nothin' on'. He was describing American TV and he was dead right!

I suppose it is what you are used to really, most people in the UK think that the US healthcare system is almost medieval!

Colin
That might of been the original idea... but now IMO it's just another tax.... just like road tax has become...

Korky

« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2011, 01:07:26 pm »

Korky, I strongly suggest you moderate your aggressive attitude or risk sanctions. Just because someone does not agree with you does not constitute a reason for belligerent remarks. As Colin Bishop said, most of what you said was not worth reading anyway, AND it is only your opinion. You are correct in one thing, and that is Chit Chat is the place for "Almost anything you like", but that does not grant a licence for aggressive posts.

Consider yourself warned.

Peter Fitness,
Moderator.

and your comment re "not worth reading" ISN'T a flamer ?

Where the Sun don't shine Peter, where the Sun don't shine   ok ?

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2011, 01:18:19 pm »

Korky has left the forum.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

guitar man

« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2011, 02:49:41 pm »

Happy to have adverts then? It has to be paid for somehow.

Don;t know not gave it too much thought as I don't watch a lot. As i said before does not seem too bad value anyway as entertainmeant goes, some adverts can provide useful toilet breaks or drink making time  {-) {-)

ACTion

« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2011, 03:32:16 pm »

Korky has left the forum.

I wonder if he left the BBC with equal lack of ceremony? A bitter man, by the sound of it.
Dave M
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.