Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lipo battery Connecters  (Read 2298 times)

Bluechrisp

Lipo battery Connecters
« on: August 14, 2011, 12:36:57 am »

Morning all

Bought my first Lipo batts today, does everyone have those Deans Connecters or are there some who use the Tamiya  type, anybody had problems with Others?   :-)

Cheers

CP

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
Re: Lipo battery Connecters
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 12:51:13 am »

For higher current draw, I would recommend using a better quality connector than a Tamiya type. There are lots of good ones available, I use 'power poles' a modular plug capable of 30A, deans are good and common now, a lot of the fly boys use 4mm banana plugs. EC3 connectors are good but a pain to replace. You pays your money and takes your choice.

Tombsy

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 12:55:45 am »

I was using Deans but I switched to 5.5mm bullets to handle higher amps in my FE hydro. If its in a scale boat i think you will be fine with Deans I'm not crazy about the Tamiya they can only handle 10-15 amps.
Deans reportedly can handle 100 amps.
Be quick with the heat or plug the Deans into it's mate when soldering for a heat sink the plastic can melt.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 12:24:05 am »

I wouldnt recommend tamiya connections unless you are running low amps.

Lots of places are now selling what's called XT60 connectors. Better than deans as they are a bit bigger and not as fiddly to solder wires to etc.

However, be careful as there are a lot of poor copies of the XT60 out there.

http://www.electriflite.co.uk/store/index.php/ec3.html These are good connectors and come in different sizes.

Tombsy

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 01:45:18 am »

Those are nice connectors and seem to be getting popular you get the benefit of bullets and a cover that prevents hooking things up backwards. :-)

Bluechrisp

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 12:15:41 pm »

Hello all

Some great info I have just the 2 deans to put on the Lipo save cutting off the others on the esc and battery charger. I'll probably start using those on some future projects.

Cheers

CP
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.