Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Swordsman 33 - 40 Years On  (Read 5424 times)

Kozmyk

Swordsman 33 - 40 Years On
« on: August 22, 2011, 08:14:42 pm »

Fairey Swordsman 33 inch - P Connolly design

Finally got my old Fairey Swordsman from the family home.
She's been sat on top of my Dad's cupboard for 40years.
Now the cleanup begins.
Round one has been fought already.
Rag, white spirit and meths at two paces.
Odd ... meths doesn't smell like it used to, not this stuff I got from B&Q anyway.

She used to be powered by an OS19M but was a bit sluggish so I got a Taplin Twin 8cc to pep her up a bit.
Never got round to fitting the Taplin though, I had discovered electric guitars and my fate was sealed ... both engines were sold to buy rock'n'roll toys, amps, speakers etc.

These days I think she'll have to go electric.
Finding somewhere to run her on Nitro could prove difficult.
Hell! Finding anywhere that'll allow model power boats at all around here is proving difficult enough.

I know where I am with brushless motors so I'm discounting brushed from the outset.
Conventionally I'd need a watercooled in-runner of the right size with associated w/c ESC and appropriate lipos, however, I've come across an out-runner install employing a w/c motor mount in the very same model.
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=17021.msg170485#msg170485
That could be interesting.
Loads more out-runner variations to choose from.

I've already got a load of 3s 2200mAh 20C lipos (6 off) and a couple of 6s 3300mAh 30C that I use with my helis and planes.
I'd prefer to use them in one combination or another rather than buy new specifically for the Swordsman if possible, but if I Have to buy new then so be it.
All my ESCs are air cooled so I'll Have to buy new there, none of them have reverse either ;)

All tips regarding renovation and electrification welcome.

Weight is 2350g empty of all equipment at present but there are about 18" of 3/8" copper exhaust pipe yet to be removed.

triumphjon

Re: Swordsman 33 - 40 Years On
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 08:22:45 pm »

its got great potential , my fairey huntsman is currently running a pair of brushed 777 motors which is getting up to plane although its far from finished yet

Kozmyk

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 11:00:22 pm »

She was quite a looker in her day.
I'd like to be able to say that was down to me but I didn't build her back then, my Dad bought her for me from a gent in CwmCarn.
With the OS19 she could just about get up on the plane with a light chop.
I'm hoping for a bit more than that now although I'm after a sport scale type of speed rather than gonads out racing speed.

Huntsman looks nice.
Are you completely rebuilding the superstructure?
I almost mistook your hull for a Swordsman but that's a Huntsman 31 type isn't it?
More like a Swordsman hull than the older 28 type. Higher chine at the front.

triumphjon

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 07:22:25 am »

i started mine around a year ago , its been converted from an old glow powered  grp hull into a twin shafted electric cruiser , currently being powered by a pair of model motors direct 777 brushed motors running on 14 volts , although not finished she is a running model , and should be at cowes this weekend for the classic powerboat meet !

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 12:43:55 am »

love the seating area design, something a bit different! I would love to get my hands on that for a refurb project :-)

Triumphjon, whats the powerboat meet at Cowes? The real thing?

Paul

triumphjon

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 09:20:33 pm »

yes this weekend its the classic powerboat meeting along with the cowes to torquay endurance race on sunday , open pit day is saturday where you are able to get fairly close to many off shore racing vessels , all full sized ones off course

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 12:42:42 am »

sounds great, get some photos!

triumphjon

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 02:26:00 pm »

camera batteries are being charged in the morning , !

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 08:44:21 am »

Wow you got your work cut out there but what a prospect when finished I think the swordsman and huntsman are one of the best clasic powerboats around here,s wher mine stands at the moment :-)

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 08:46:22 am »

Actualy living on the Island so will be there for all the action
 :-))

Kozmyk

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 02:02:00 pm »

@solentseadog
Yours is looking good.
What size is it? Looks big.
What are you using for the window frames?

Mine looks better in daylight ;-)
The hardest job is going to be bending the windscreen.
Selecting the right motor is proving to be the headache.
It's just occurred to me to measure the clearance for the max prop dia that he current shaft install will allow then work back from there.
I don't want to be upsetting the shaft/keel arrangement.
I'm leaning towards the cooled mount/outrunner combination at the moment though things could change.

triumphjon

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 09:44:33 pm »

solent seadog fairey owners club are in the main pit area marina till monday , go into the mrina entrance by sainsburys in main shopping street ! will post pics sunday when ive had time to load them into pc ,

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2011, 08:31:37 am »

Its 42" i have already made the main window frames from sheet ally both inside and outside as i will be glazing them with 3mm poly carbonate. I,m also fitting out the main cabin including the berth cusions made from the original blue vinyl found here on the Island

triumphjon

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2011, 07:23:16 pm »

just a couple of shots taken in gunwharf quays before we left for cowes yesterday , the last photo is the regrouping just outside portsmouth harbour before charging off at around 22 knots !
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 23 queries.