Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WANTED: Radio set/ RC for Kyosho Seawind  (Read 16539 times)

sterling98

WANTED: Radio set/ RC for Kyosho Seawind
« on: August 15, 2011, 08:03:03 pm »

Hi
I recently purchased a used, already assembled seawind at a yard sale but the previous owner had lost the remote. Does anyone have one for sale? I have the internal stuff and it works but just need the transmitter. Would a new transmitter still work on my old stuff? Is there someplace I could buy a replacement transmitter?

Thanks

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
Re: WANTED: Radio set/ RC for Kyosho Seawind
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 08:45:56 pm »

Ive a Seawind myself. My model is set up as a 2 ch rig. Rudder and sail winch. I see no reason why you
cant buy a secondhand transmitter. Look at your rec to find out what frequency its on 25 or 40.Buy a sh
trans of correct freq. Please remember crystals must match.Keep the one in the rec and just buy one for
the trans. It a personal thing but with 2.4 being so cheap. Id buy a set eg Radiolink under £30 No more
crystal or freq probs. Just remember to keep arieal leeds above water line. John.       

triumphjon

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 09:40:07 pm »

having purchased my seawind just over a year ago , although it was fitted with radio i replace the rx with a planet 2.4 unit , which ive placed inside a balloon , has your boat still got the factory radio hatch fitted as they bend and leak !

sterling98

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 10:04:56 pm »

I believe it still has everything except the little remote thing you use to control it. Sorry I'm really new to this and this is my first boat. there are two balloons in the hull, one for the battery pack, one for a little black box with a bunch of wires coming out of it. I think it's got everything it needs in the hull of the boat. How do I find out what frequency or crystals my boat has? Do you have a link to a set eg radiolink? I'm really confused because I'm new to all this.

Thanks

triumphjon

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 10:52:01 pm »

inside of your hull you should have three little boxes and a battery box , two of the boxes are servos , normally the larger of the two will have a cord attached to a long arm screwed onto the top of it , this controls the amount of sail movement , the other one controls the rudder , both of the servos are controlled from the receiver ( rx ) another small oblong box with three cables and an ariel from it , the operating frequency of this box will determin what transmitter you need

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 11:04:14 pm »

On the reciever Box it should have what frequency it is. The crystal plugs in, its quite small and may have a
paper tag or printing to tell you what the exact frequency is. JOHN.   

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 11:12:16 pm »

A link to radio control frequencies here, the 'remote' is called ...Transmitter or TX or sometimes Tranny..! remote and radio are not the same...hope this bit of info helps...there is a list of the 'numbers' for each frequency somewhere, I'll try to find one.

JB.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archive/ra/publication/ra_info/ra60.htm

Its likely your radio is 40MHz, I could be wrong though...! here's a list of numbers/ frequency.

http://www.ukrcc.org/40mhz.html
XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)

sterling98

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 01:48:58 pm »

The little crystals thing that plugs in says 74. i can't find anywhere it says what frequency it's on. Here's everything it does say:
ID: FPR122JE
AM2 Channel Receiver
Here's what it said on the crystals:
Type 72-11
74 (in really big font size)
AM Rx

Thanks

triumphjon

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 02:07:02 pm »

the receiver needs to be removed , its for aircraft only ! i would recomend buying yourself a 2.4 ghz set up . jon

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 02:11:01 pm »

Take a look here.

75 MHz...not legal in the UK i'm afraid.

USA use that frequency.

75.670 = channel 74.

JB.

http://rcvehicles.about.com/od/glossary/g/75MHz.htm
XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)

sterling98

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 02:12:11 pm »

why can't it be used for both?  Im pretty sure the receiver is the one that came with the original boat, but I'm not sure. Where can I find a 2.4 ghz set up? How much would that cost?

Thanks

sterling98

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 02:12:53 pm »

I don't live in the UK, I live in the US. this article would make sense because my crystals said 75.610. so i would need a 75 MHz transmitter....???

Thanks

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 02:17:35 pm »

I think your best plan in view of the frequency of the receiver is to buy a new 2.4 GHz set, they are really cheap now, I have a Spektrum DX6i TX, about £80 which is very reasonable, you can pay anything up to £1k and more!

Planet r/c is well thought of I understand, can't comment myself on the make as I've not had one.

Hope this helps you. :-))

JB.

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 07:44:32 pm »

When Seawinds were being sold with Radio and receivers in the past, they were AM type 27mhz -perhaps 75 - which as we all know worked, but are not worth buying since 2.4 ghz technology has been developed. Sailboats (generally) don't require expensive multi featured, multi channel radios - basic two channel systems will work - it is nice to have 4 and a few features on your radio to set up end points.  You can buy inexpensive 2.4 systems for very little money these days from a varity of online stores. My suggestion is to buy a simple 2.4ghz set up and forget the old AM stuff.

Hobbyking.com sells a number of them at prices that are hard to beat. Take a look http://hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/__82__190__Tx_Rx_Systems_Parts-Complete_systems.html

For $30 or less you can have a nice 2.4 ghz set up - that is cheaper than messing around with the old stuff and besides that old AM equipment is subject to interference from almost any AM source. Some "Dolt" near where you are sailing could be microwaving a hot dog and take control of your boat. When that happens the boat can not be controlled by you. Not kidding.

Seawinds are not cheap and are worth putting a decent radio and receiver.

sterling98

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 08:44:12 pm »

Ok, so the 2.4 ghz system will prevent my boat from being hijacked by other radio waves and work in the us? will the remote include little crystals plug in thing? Also, will I need to program it??Thank you very much this has been super helpful, sorry I'm so new to this.
Thanks

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 09:06:09 pm »

I don't live in the UK, I live in the US. this article would make sense because my crystals said 75.610. so i would need a 75 MHz transmitter....???

Thanks

How did I miss that ? ! yes you just need a 75MHz Transmitter with a crystal to match,

If you do buy a 2.4 GHz radio control set you don't have crystals, that's the main attaction for all of us now, the radio seeks out free frequencies for you...as others have said, there's nothing wrong with any of the different frequencies...unless there is interference from other users, the UK had severe problems when CB radio landed here...it is (was) on 27MHz alongside the cars boats and aircraft models !!! <:(

Aircraft changed to 35MHz and boats/cars to 40MHz...

JB.

sterling98

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 10:16:03 pm »

Will a 2.4 ghz still work in the us or is it only for the uk? If it will work for me I'll probably go with the 2.4 ghz previously posted by winchaser just to simplify the whole crystals thing.
Thanks

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 10:27:00 pm »

Yes 2.4 GHz is in the US to, if you have a hobby store near you or can find one online you will see all the radio available to you, it will be a little different in looks but its the same, no crystals to worry about :-))

JB.

Here's a link to a USA hobby store.

http://www.towerhobbies.com/

sterling98

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 10:57:06 pm »

Can I still get this one:
http://hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/__9042__Hobby_King_2_4Ghz_6Ch_Tx_Rx_V2_Mode_2_.html

I visited tower hobbies and all the ones I found were either for planes and helicopter or really really expensive. Is hobby king just for the UK? Their site says they have a us warehouse too.

Thanks

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2011, 11:39:42 pm »

These radios are as simple as dirt! I live in California which the last time I checked was still in the US. If you go to the link I provided and read the description you will see this unit comes with the radio (transmitter) and the receiver. There are several different units listed on the HK site. Try to fine one that is in stock in their US warehouse. It will cost less to ship it - but the price of might be a buck or two higher - much better service from their US location. You have to register but if you got here you can do that.

Tower has some lower priced units too, but HK is almost always a bit cheaper. Tower is a much better outfit to do business with overall.  

Use only a stick style radio for sailboats. Pistol grips are not designed for sailboats!

There is a very active RC forum in the US = rcgroups.com with lots of good information on everything to do with RC - go to their sailboat section and check out the various topics  Worth a few minutes to visit that forum  :-))

Hobbyking sells world wide.

sterling98

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2011, 02:21:23 pm »

ok, thanks. I just ordered it and should be all set.

Thanks!

airwolf572010

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2011, 07:50:09 am »

Yeah so after all that help how is the boat and radio gear handling the situation now???

Armo

sterling98

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2011, 02:15:16 am »

Sorry, I was away for a long time and couldn't work on my boat.  <:( However, I am having difficulties binding my radio to my receiver. I'm trying to follow this video tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RPSJnul2zc My receiver doesn't come with a satellite attached to it. The satellite seems to be the blinking and beeping things in the tutorial but my receiver doesn't have one and doesn't seem to blink or beep. I looked on the Hobby King website and it's not like the one I bought is supposed to come with a satellite receiver.  How would I go about binding my receiver to my transmitter if it's not beeping or working using the instructions from the video? Also, where would I put my sail servo; the throttle, elevator, or aileron plug in?

Thanks

airwolf572010

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2011, 02:34:34 am »

Hi Why Muck Around with the TX/RX
Just click on to Hobbyking and they have some teriffic deals on 2.4gz stuff which will fit the Kyosho great.
I have had no problems with any of their TX/RX on fast electrics and have also fitted it to my Monsoon and Legend sailing boats.
No problems.

Armo :-))

dondecap

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2011, 01:30:45 pm »

hi mate.
you still fighting the radio?
have you got the battery plugged into the receiver in the boat the right way round?
usualy the signal wire goes to the front of the receiver..the manual should show you. there should be a light in the receiver when powered on. this may be red or orange.
look closely around the receiver for a small hole about the size of the end of a match stick....in there there will be a 'bind button'.......press this and the light will start to flash..........it's looking for the transmitter........... switch on the transmitter ...you may have to push a button or flick a switch to bind. then the light should go steady green after a few seconds.
regards
don
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.