Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Kitshack 68ft Vosper RTTL  (Read 26574 times)

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 68ft Vosper RTTL
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2011, 05:31:27 pm »

Dodgy,

I had a slightly different idea - small (3mm dia) magnets let into the cabin decks and the bearers. Seems to work. I'll post some pictures later when I go get my camera from the shed :}

Barrie

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2011, 05:54:17 pm »

A couple of photos of the removable decks and their fixings.

I'm currently cutting the window openings for cabins. This is pretty hard work. They are not cut, just scribed and the ply is very tough - twenty minutes to remove one using a mixture of knives with several new blades :((

Barrie

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2011, 06:00:47 pm »

Buy yourself a coping saw Barrie.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2011, 06:56:07 pm »

I have one , and a piercing saw ok2 They are a bit small but I may have to give it another try.

Barrie

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2011, 07:02:27 pm »

Hi there Barry

Rather than trying to use a coping saw/piercing saw - it may be best to try & invest in a fretsaw.   With a fretsaw you can obtain really fine toothed blades enabling you to cut very small and very fine apertures in your work.  The windows in the RTTL would be no problem at all with the fretsaw to cut them out.   If you do a full forum search there is someone asking where to purchase fretsaw blades from and it turned out to be quite an educational topic, covering a variety of saws/saw blades.   Also you could do a search on Ebay for inexpensive fretsaws/blades.
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=32616.0   :-)) :-))
aye
john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2011, 07:13:51 am »

Bluebird

I have a good selection of  piercing saw blades some very fine- so fine you can barely see the teeth ok2 I did use the saw to cut out some windows, at least the bulk of the window, then was able to carve out the remainder. This was on a reasonably sized piece of the boat (main cabin sides). I am now dealing with much smaller pieces and I am not sure I can hold them steady whilst I saw O0 However, that's what I am going to try next time I get to work on the model.
Barrie

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2011, 07:13:50 am »

Update

Yesterday I used my piercing saw to finish cutting the windows from the forward cabin. This morning I got an email from the supplier to say that they are now supplying CNC cut windows with the kit! CNC cut versions of the winch cabin parts are on theiir way O0 O0

Barrie

Bluebird

I have a good selection of  piercing saw blades some very fine- so fine you can barely see the teeth ok2 I did use the saw to cut out some windows, at least the bulk of the window, then was able to carve out the remainder. This was on a reasonably sized piece of the boat (main cabin sides). I am now dealing with much smaller pieces and I am not sure I can hold them steady whilst I saw O0 However, that's what I am going to try next time I get to work on the model.
Barrie

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2011, 01:27:05 pm »

... This morning I got an email from the supplier to say that they are now supplying CNC cut windows with the kit!

If you are talking to the kit supplier it might be interesting to ask them about the provenance of the kit, and what relationship it might have to the 1960s Veron model....   %) %)

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2011, 07:26:22 pm »

Hi there BarrieW

The problem with using a piercing saw/jewellers saw is that normally the work has to be held in a vice and the saw used in a horizontal position.   For cutting small windows or windows in the side of the superstructure, as you know, is a bit tricky.   Hence I suggested a fret saw.   A fretsaw is used in a vertical position and the piece of work is help on a flat bit of board with a V cut in it, enabling it to be moved around freely.

As one gains a bit more experience, one finds a method called chain drilling w = this is where you drill on the inside of your aperture to be removed - with a very fine/small diameter drill and cut through all of the holes, removing the bulk of the material first.   Then, with the appropriate files, open up to the desired marked area of size.  This is how I did the rear towing cabin windows on the RTTL on my model.
hope this helps  :-))

aye
john

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2011, 09:09:25 pm »

John,

Yes - I appreciate how jewelers use the saws, but I use it like a fretsaw ;). I use chain drilling when using plasticard - haven't tried it in wood but It could help. As you will see, I am being sent some that have been CNC routed so problem solved :-))

Thanks for your interest.

Barrie

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2011, 03:10:52 pm »

Some progress has been made, despite wasting a morning in Outpatients >:-o

I have not been following the suggested method for building the cabin, as I wanted to work on that at the same time as the hull. Also, I want to keep access to the inside so that I can glaze the windows. So, what you see in the pictures is not fixed down yet. The roof, made from balsa, has been covered in tissue and given several coats of Eze Kote. The cabin has been Eze Koted also. I need to give a quick coat of paint to check on the finish - I think it may need some fine filler. I have been trying to decide if I can fit window frames. These are quite a feature of the RTTL, but I cannot decide how (if) I am going to tackle them ok2

The roundels and lettering were cut on my vinyl cutter - probably not quite the correct colours  as I was limited to what vinyl  was available. I am aware that these craft had planked decks, but I didn't think a reasonable effect could be created given the number of pieces of ply making up the deck.

Barrie

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2011, 05:10:19 pm »

I have been trying to decide if I can fit window frames. These are quite a feature of the RTTL, but I cannot decide how (if) I am going to tackle them ..

On the one I made in 1969, I scribed a 1/8" rim around all the windows, used a mahogany wood dye to colour this, and then painted white up to the scribe mark.

The dye then ran into the white paint, so it ended up discoloured at the edges of the windows rather than smartly changing from white to brown...  :(( :((

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2011, 05:16:56 pm »

On the one I made in 1969, I scribed a 1/8" rim around all the windows, used a mahogany wood dye to colour this, and then painted white up to the scribe mark.

That might be worth a try. I certainly don't fancy trying to cut them from thin ply, and crafting from strip wood is a rather daunting task! I have some brown cuttable vinyl, but the window shapes don't really lend themselves to this technique, and it is very shiny :((

Some experimentation is called for I feel :}

Barrie

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2011, 07:38:54 pm »

hi ya there Barry

One method which you could possible try is the use of Plasticard.  Cut your window frames from thin plasticard and then paint them a dark mahogany colour - and you can glaze them from the inside if you make them slightly smaller than the aperture.   This is how I achieved the windows on the RTTL which I built.

aye
john e
bluebird

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2011, 07:37:42 am »

John

Yes - that's another option. I need to check my plasticard stocks. I also thought of a variation on Dodgy's scheme - paint the cabin then mask off a 1-2 mm 'frame' round the window and paint it brown. I think I favour this method, but will see if I have some very thin plastic card.

Barrie

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2011, 12:23:22 pm »

John

Yes - that's another option. I need to check my plasticard stocks. I also thought of a variation on Dodgy's scheme - paint the cabin then mask off a 1-2 mm 'frame' round the window and paint it brown. I think I favour this method, but will see if I have some very thin plastic card.

Barrie

I found that scribing through one ply with a sharp blade produced a very realistic dip in the surface and let you use the grain of the wood - but I should have:

1 - used less stain
2 - sealed the white surface before painting.....

howyson

« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2011, 10:33:19 am »

When I originally built the superstructure I had no intention of 'furnishing' the inside so I did not cut out the windows. When I restarted I could not remember what I intended to do. Instead of starting again I decided to cut out the first layer of ply, paint the cleared window araea matt black, and then fill the 'gap' with 'glazing'. I then cut ot the 'frames' from 1/32 ply, not easy, the plasticard would have been much better. Also I stuck them on before painting them, so will need a steady hand or much masking when I come to paint them. With hindsight I would probably been better off starting again , but I suppose this is called the learning process.

In the phote the protective film is still on the 'glazing'

Howard

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2011, 05:43:29 pm »

Thanks for that. They look good. I have already cut out the windows, so will be glazing mine. Work has slowed at the moment due to frequent visits to Addenbrooke's Hospital Clinics with my wife, and the temperature in my workshop being nearly 30C O0 O0
I hope to make progress once the weather remembers which season we are supposed to be in <*< <*<

Barrie

howyson

« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2011, 10:38:31 am »

Sorry to hear about the hospital visits, hope its nothing serious.

The weather is certainly uncharacteristic, the gadgets on the computer show Newcastle at 19 degrees, will be even hotter down south, more like the 24 degrees showing for Malaga, (BBC weather forecast showing London hotter than Malaga. It is bound to change before I get back, in fact the BBC is showing Newcastle changing on Sunday.

Howard

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2011, 02:08:06 pm »

Some progress has been made. I received the CNC cut rear cabin and have assembled it. The hatches are made and I am now painting. The main cabin roof needs another coat or two (Humbrol matt white never seems to cover very well) then I can tackle the window frames. Once that is one I can glaze the windows and fix the cabin to the deck.

Barrie

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2011, 02:56:44 pm »

I've now painted the frames - I am quite happy with the effect. Not up to exhibition standard, but this is a boat to sail and when its a couple of metres out, you wont know the difference  ;) The windows are glazed, apart front one front one which didn't want to stick!  I now need to do the internal electrics, and paint some more  deck. I hope to get it on the water next Sunday, then finish the fittings, including the mast which looks a bit  daunting %)

Barrie

zoggitman

« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2011, 09:13:31 am »

i am thinking of building a r/c boat and after looking at this and seeing it on ebay will have a go . would you say this kit will be a good one for me has  a first time build ?

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2011, 10:44:05 am »

You're doing a nice job of demonstrating the build, thanks  :-)) ...  I'm yet another considering this one as a project. I see their latest auction is for £100 but now includes propshaft, rudder, plastic propellor, 450 size motor and coupling, so this is fast becoming a comprehensive kit as they continue development.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2011, 11:25:35 am »

i am thinking of building a r/c boat and after looking at this and seeing it on ebay will have a go . would you say this kit will be a good one for me has  a first time build ?

No I wouldn't although it is always difficult to answer this question without knowing a person's background and any skills they possess - not necessarily modelling skills. There is nothing wrong with what is supplied, and the latest version with propshaft etc, certainly makes it easier, but unless you have some experience I think the instructions are probably a bit vague for a beginner. It is of course possible that these have been improved since I bought mine, which was one of the first I think.

If you want to build an RTTL, then look at either the Deans Marine or preferably the Model Slipway one. These are basically plastic, but the latter comes with pretty comprehensive instructions, although I think they suggest it is not for beginners. There is a good build log for this on another forum.

Hope this helps

Barrie

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2011, 11:27:56 am »

You're doing a nice job of demonstrating the build, thanks  :-)) ...  I'm yet another considering this one as a project. I see their latest auction is for £100 but now includes propshaft, rudder, plastic propellor, 450 size motor and coupling, so this is fast becoming a comprehensive kit as they continue development.

Yes - as I have mentioned the kit is developing - windows are now CNC cut, the keel pieces have been modified etc. I have suggested a parts list be included as there is a lot of wood strip, but it doesn't always tie up with the instructions.

Barrie
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.