Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kitshack 68ft Vosper RTTL  (Read 26570 times)

zoggitman

Re: 68ft Vosper RTTL
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2011, 12:28:50 pm »

thank you for your info i have builded airfix models plane,s , lorrys etc, before ,but now would like to build one that is not just for show but can be used

farrow

« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2011, 02:35:53 pm »

The RMAS used to have one of these boats at Great Harbour, Greenock on the Clyde, used to start planing at about 37kts if my memory serves me right. Lovely boat, fitted with 2x Rolls Royce Merlin petrol engines, cartridge start, even had a go of driving once, a superb experience. The boat was called Kestrel but locally nicknamed the "Bomb", because of the noise when it was started up. By the way your model looks superb.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2011, 05:17:40 pm »

thank you for your info i have builded airfix models plane,s , lorrys etc, before ,but now would like to build one that is not just for show but can be used

If you really want to have a go, then do by all means. You will get lots of help from this site if you get stuck.

Barrie

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2011, 09:25:44 am »

I've made some more progress - handrails now fitted, both cabins fixed to the deck. Large decal on the roof and the bars fitted to roof. I've also completed the wiring, though nothing is fixed as yet until I give it a flotation test to see where it needs ballast - if any. Next job is to fit the bars to the front of the cabin. These are actually representing the ventilation opening and should stand proud of the cabin wall, but in common with other models at this scale they will be stuck on :-)

I plan to give it a test sail on Sunday then leave it for a few days before completing the detail fittings and mast whilst I tackle a non-boating project. This is the sale of my 'N' gauge railway equipment which will then allow me to re-organise my workshop to give more room to boats %%

Barrie

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2011, 01:33:38 pm »

Ok, I am now ready for 'sea' trials tomorrow. The model is virtually complete apart from the mast. The motor and ESc are installed - the ESC is currently not fixed as I am not sure if I will need water cooling. I've sorted out the problems with the ES set up and it now does forward and reverse just like a brushed ESC. It needed 600g of ballast forward to bring it down to its marks.

I am pretty pleased with the result - my lack of skill with wood and particularly with balsa gave me some minor problems, but it was satisfying to build. I did not set out to create a super detailed representation of the original, just something that when its racing across the lake looks realistic.

Barrie

rmaddock

« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2011, 05:33:01 pm »

It's looking good Barrie. I'm looking forward to seeing her on the water. I think of this era might be next on my list.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2011, 01:35:25 pm »

When I woke this morning there was heavy rain so I thought that was the end of plans for a maiden voyage, but by the time I was ready for setting out the sky had cleared. The first run with the forward ballast was disappointing, the bow wouldn't rise at all, so I removed it all. The second run was  better, but it still didn't get up on the plane. It holds course well, and has a reasonably tight turning circle. I think I need to try a smaller prop. The current one is a 35mm X type. I have a 30mm S type which I will try next week. I also have the option of going to 11.1v - its a 2S LiPo in at the moment. Reverse worked just like a brushed ESC, and I didn't lose my prop {-) {-)

My magnets to hold the decks in place  worked well, and no water came onto the deck so that the seal was not tested :-)

More next week.

Barrie

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2011, 02:05:41 pm »

Tried again this week with a 30mm prop - no different really. Tried on 11.1volts - didn't get far before a radio problem - I think - left me in the middle of the lake {:-{ Had to rescue myself with my lifeboat %% I don't think it was much improvement though.

Not sure what to try now - maybe a different motor, or maybe some weight in the stern to try to lift the bows.

Barrie

Dreadstar

« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2011, 12:14:23 am »

May I suggest trying a Speed 600 Race motor,which will need to be watercooled of course,that might just get you up onto the plane. Make sure that your battery is in the rear half of the boat too,which also helps a bit. ok2

Andy_k

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2011, 07:26:31 am »

You may find that due to the lack of water cooling that the ESC may not be delivering full power to the motor due to overheating this also could account for the break down in the middle of the pond . Have you got another ESC you could try?
Right which one will I do next?;)

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2011, 09:04:22 am »

Dreadstar - its a very light LiPo, but I intend adding weight to the stern. Converting to Brushed motor and water cooling would be tricky - I will continue with brushless experiments until I get bored %%

Andy - the ESC doesn't even get warm! The motor is a 950KV - I thought it was 1400Kv. I have ordered a 1400Kv to try. I think the glitch was due to a dodgy connection, or just possibly my extra cheap Spektrum compatible Rx. It will be a Radiolink for the next test.

Barrie

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2011, 07:16:29 pm »

hi there

Am I correcdt in thinking that your brushless motor fitted only has a 14000 rpm speed at top end?

If so, I would be looking for a motor of the capability of 17000 - 21000 rpm to make a model plain using a 30-35mm prop - 2 or 3 blade.

The model which I built is a lot heavier than yours - but it incorporates 2 Mtroniks motors of 21000 rpm running on a 7.2 NiCad pack (one for each motor) driving a 35mm 3 blade prop - which brings the model up on the plain without any effort at all.   You could though, if you want too, fit a bigger prop to your model if you dont have sufficient rpm's but I always think this is the wrong way to go, because in real life all the power boats use small props and high revving motors to achieve plaining speeds and surely if the big boys do it this way it must be right.

aye
john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2011, 07:32:29 am »

John,

No - the current motor is 950x7.4 or about 7000 rpm. I plan to try one that will be 1400x7.4 or 10500rpm. I also have one that is 1600kv which will give nearly 12000rpm on 7.4 volts or 21000 on 13.1 volts. From your figures I think the latter is the best bet. I have a Deans Marine Fireboat which goes like crazy on a 1400kv motor with 7.4 volts. This is why I expected my initial set-up to be OK, until I checked my records and found the motor was only 950Kv (a lot of these motors aren't marked),

This weekend I hope to try the 1600kv motor on both 7.4 volts and 13.1 volts.

Barrie

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2011, 03:03:49 pm »

I've now completed this model - I'm sure that more detail could be added, but this is as far as I intend to take it.

Sailed again today with 1600kv motor on 13.1v and 30mm prop. It went better but still not quite as well as I would like. I have a feeling that the prop-shaft is not as free as it might be - I'll investigate this week.

Barrie

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2011, 04:13:49 pm »

Looks Really nice Barrie. I'm sure you'll sort out the speed issue soon. Hope mine turns out as well  :-)) :-))

cheers
Dan.

howaycomeon

« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2011, 09:34:08 am »

Barrie,
i was impressed by your build so much that i  have just placed an order for the 56" model and expect delivery the first week in december,
  cheers bob

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Kitshack 68ft Vosper RTTL
« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2012, 02:30:23 pm »

Now that Martin has reinstated this thread I can finish my review.

The motor which I thought was a 1600kv turned out to be only 1250 {:-{ I was going by model number and didn't check the kv >:-o

With the 1600 it is as fast I want :-)) Run time with an 11.1v LiPo is good enough for me at speed.

All in all I am very satisfied with the kit and the service from Kitshack and will hopefully build another of their models (their Fireboat looks interesting) when I have cleared my backlog.

Barrie

Kitshack Models

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2013, 10:33:25 am »

Barrie

Ive just looked through your build and have to say youve made a amazing job of it! Looks great.

Hopefully you have had another kit from us since  :D ?

Would it be possible to have some of your pictures emailed to us to us on the ne website and Facebook?

KitShack
Kitshack Models

Kitshack Models

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2014, 08:58:30 pm »

Hi Barrie

Do you still have the boat? if not what happend to it.

We are trying to build up a bit of a collection of our finished kits.

Is there another kit of ours that you now would like to try out???

Chris

KitShack Models
Kitshack Models
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 23 queries.