Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1/35 Italeri Elco R/C Conversion  (Read 19734 times)

mikethepipe

Re: 1/35 Italeri Elco R/C Conversion
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2011, 09:40:41 pm »

It was a pleasure to meet you on the club stand at the recent RNAS Yeovilton model show, and very many thanks for spending time to answer my questions and allowing me to photo details of your conversion - most helpful.   I hope to start my build soon, but to keep it simple I plan to use a one-prop setup, as this will be my first 'conversion'.
One question I forgot to ask: in your build have you substituted stronger materials for any original components in the Italeri kit, because it's a working model?
Hope you enjoyed the rest of the model show!

Mike B, Gloucester

The long Build

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2011, 10:02:40 pm »

After testing the boat and seeing just how fast it's going to be I have decided to run it on the water with only the centre propshaft and prop. I will fit dummy shafts and props when I take the boat to exhibitions - at least it will give me some running equipment for the S-Boat and the Vosper (when it's released).

thought it might be quick.. :}

tjfromdevon

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2011, 10:53:03 pm »

Hi Mike
Glad you enjoyed the show - nice to meet you as well. Other than the prop shaft 'P' Mounts and Rudders which I fabricated (see build log). Everything else (so far) is original - I am considering replacing some of the railings with brass as it is more substantial than plastic.
I have been building the Thunderbolt mount and putting some of the smaller assemblies together prior to painting. Hopefully I will get some more photo's uploaded soon. In the meantime If I can be of any more help please let me know.
Regards
TJ

PGM69

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2011, 05:29:30 pm »

Dear sir,
can you post new pictures of your models??? It,s a pleasure to watch on it!
Tomorow I will receive  the coupling for speed 300 motors..so saturday I will do more tests on lake (if the water don,t froze).
Finnaly , my gun on MAS 500 has a servo turn of 360 degrees...thanks to Hobbyking 5g microservo and a lot of stirene.
Now..I want a sound module!
Saturday I will post pictures on your MAS R/C conversion post..if you allow me.
waiting new info...PGM from Black Sea

tjfromdevon

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2011, 12:54:51 pm »

Well, it's been a while since I updated progress on my build of this boat. I don't seem to have had a lot of time but here's what I have been up to.

I managed to get to the R/C show at RNAS Yeovilton a couple of weeks ago. I took the Elco with me and it got quite a lot of attention - well I seemed to answer a lot of questions and do a lot of talking! It was nice to meet a few members of this site there and the positive statements I received have spurred me on.

I have been busy building a lot of sub - assemblies since the show and I am now in a position to start spraying them prior to completing them and then finally assembling the boat - I am hoping that I will be able to get this done within the next couple of weeks. I still have the Thunderbolt Gun system to scratch build, although I did manage to source some 1/35 20mm Oerlikon gun barrels for it which will make life easier. You can see on the photo of the deck that I have constructed a framework at the stern of the boat for the circular gun mount to sit on. I based this on some part photo's from the Coastal forces book as I couldn't find much more info about the deck mount. I have also replaced the rear hand rail and posts with a scratch built brass one as I felt this would be more robust. I also replaced a couple of the aerial's with brass as well.

That's about if for the moment, Will post again when I have more to report   

TJ

tjfromdevon

« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2011, 12:56:39 pm »

Sorry about that - had a wobbly trying to upload images - here are the rest

PGM69

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2011, 05:16:57 pm »

Hello TJ...can you post some more pics with ELCO on the water???
How many minutes/hours resist your accu with 2 brushless motors at full speed?
Unfortunately, this wekend I have to make a trip, so I coudn,t put my MAS on the water. If the water not froze until next wekend, I will post some pics.  Until saturday...we wait some new pictures from your beautiful conversions.  Thanks! :-))

tjfromdevon

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2011, 05:24:18 pm »

Hi
I'm still in the middle of painting the ELCO so it has'nt been on the water yet - I haven't been to our lake lately either - the brushless boats I have run before will usually run for about 10-15minutes - it really depends on the size of the battery.

mikethepipe

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2011, 07:47:13 pm »

Hello TJ,
If you're still looking for more detail on the Mark XV quad 20-mm Thunderbolt, there is some info in "Building, Detailing & Converting the 1:35 Scale Italeri PT-596" by T. Garth Connelly.  Pages 34 to 42 cover the conversion of the standard kit to PT-559 and include a drawing and photos of the original and the model's Thunderbolt installation.  The pages don't scan very well, but if you're interested I can post you photocopies.
I see, with some surprise, that 'Thunderbolt' is painted in quite large text on the front shield of the gun, at least on a photo of PT-559 in Sept 1944.
(If the Ilfracombe MBC is active any time over the Xmas period, between 23rd - 27th, I may be able to visit the Lake for a chat with the lads.)
Keep sailing,
Mike B

PGM69

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2011, 07:48:54 pm »

Hello guys,
I,m proud to anounce that 1/35 Vosper kit will arrive tomorow in my Country, Romania.
In a short time, a new topic will be create....Vosper RC conversion!
The boat have 3 screw...like ELCO...so I must think about 1 brushless motor..and 2 brushed motor (for low speed operation).
With all three screws running..I hope the boat will fly over water!!
In WW2, my country have 3 Vosper boat..ex MTB nr. 20, 21, 23 !
In the future, I will post some pictures with romanian MTB...  :-))

PGM69

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2011, 08:37:11 pm »

Hello !!!!
I have the VOSPER!!!
The kit is beautiful..... :-))
The only problem I have is the hull...Italeri done 72" version...and romanian navy buy and use in WW2 70"  version (ex. MTB nr. 20,21,23).
Please help me to find a fiberglass hull (early - 1938 Vosper 70" version) at 1/35 scale...because I want to do this boat in my country colours!
I must open a new topic for this boat!..sorry about post here!

PGM69

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2011, 04:48:49 pm »

Hello TJ
please tell me the final setup you choose foe ELCO.
I want to try for mine following motors:
HOBBYKING ADS300 Water-cooled Brushless Outrunner as central motor
2*SPEED 300 as side motors...for low speed operation.
I try to set ESC to start brushless motor only as a high speed.
Also, I want to change motors on my MAS to brushless ADS300 !
What is your opinion please........I understand you have try this motors! 

tjfromdevon

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2011, 06:06:45 pm »

Believe it or not I still haven't quite decided on the final setup for my elco, I am using the water cooled 3000Kv motor for the centre, and I will probably use a couple of smll MFA 140 motors for the wing ones, I think two 300 would be overkill as the brushless motor will be used for speed and the wing motors for slow speed manouevering. I will probably use the same setup on my Vosper and my S-Boat. I would not use a brushless motor in the MAS as I think it would be too quick. Looking at the performance on the video you shot of your MAS boat, I think that you have it about right.
Hope that helps

PGM69

« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2011, 08:28:19 pm »

Unfortunately...last 2 weeks I went on the pond alone...so I can,t measure the speed of my boat!
Thinking about wawes...the speed is good...but...MAS is fastest PT boat in ww2 (and lightest).
I will try brushless motors on MAS...then on ELCO...and finnaly on VOSPER

PGM69

« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2011, 03:21:04 pm »

I hope this picture will help to build your ELCO!!! :-))

PGM69

« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2011, 02:27:37 pm »

Any progress with ELCO ????
Waiting new pictures....... <*<   I start to think about my PT 618.
The brushless motors from Hobbyking is on the way....so soon I will start working at ELCO .
Meantime..I start to upgrade MAS Breda gun using photoetch for the first time in my life!
Not so easy to deal with...but result is a great improuvment of the gun.

tjfromdevon

• Shipmate
Re: 1/35 Italeri Elco R/C Conversion - COMPLETED AT LAST!!
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2012, 09:02:26 am »

Well it's been an age since I last added to this post but I have finally completed my Elco. Reasons for the delay were building two off RC cars (obe of which was a Rover P6), a fast electric conversion from a NIKKO boat and a Hovercraft. In addition I decorated my daughters bedroom, the kitchen and laid a new floor in my Hallway - all in all activities not conducive to modelling! However I did manage to complete the conversion just before our clubs annual show at the National Trust Property Arlington Court in North Devon - photo's attached. Hopefully from the pics you can see that the boat is fairly quick. I finally decided on two shafts and motors with the centre shaft as a dummy. Motors are a pair of 3000kv brushless on a 3300Mah Lipo Cell. Needless to say performance is exciting (if a little noisy).
As you can see I build her as 563 which was a boat from RON29 used by the US in the Mediterranean. She was one of only four boats fitted with the Thunderbolt gun system instead of the Bofors. Mine is a scratch built one from drawings found through these pages.
Next project is my Dickie Harbour Tug conversion followed by a 1/24 MGB.
Any questions please ask - sorry about the delay https://picasaweb.google.com/118259902407323631111/Elco563
Follow the above link for the photo's

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2012, 09:25:43 pm »

Looking very good, like the thunderbolt  :-))

The performance looks exciting !!!

PGM69

• Shipmate
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2012, 08:34:12 pm »

Dear sir,
just now I watch your pictures!
Nice boat..please post more videous!
I start Vosper conversion...so next year I hope I have 2 boats on water (MAS and Vosper).
What a pitty, at Imperial War Museum, that I visit this year, is no section/parts/model from a Vosper boat!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 22 queries.