Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jeti JES 180  (Read 3178 times)

Stiggolas

Jeti JES 180
« on: August 17, 2011, 09:36:28 pm »

Hi All, just bought a speed controller and motor for my Springer, it's a Jeti JES 180. Now I'm a bit green with this boating electrics so at £8 for the pair, I considered it to be a bargain.
Thing is it looks like it came out of a plane (the prop adaptor is still on the motor!) so I'm assuming there's no reverse.....bummer.......BUT I do know about electrical stuff in general, so how does this sound....

I rig up a DPCO (double pole change over) relay for the motor wires linked up to the receiver and activate it from the 5th channel switch on my Planet 5 setup thus giving me a reverse gear. Obviously I wouldn't be leaving it in reverse for too long so the relay will only be energised for brief periods when needed.
All sounds good in theory, but what do you guys think?
I also hope the ESC is not an all or nothing affair and I get at least some control :)

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Jeti JES 180
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 10:15:54 pm »

Reversing a foreward only brushless esc was something i was talking about last weekend with a fellow boater .Changing over two leads from the esc will make the motor run backward.So why not I am surprised
that no one appears to be marketing an electronic bit of kit.Come on Action. John. 

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 06:18:33 am »

John s - I agree that this would be useful, BUT the Jeti JES180 is for Brushed motors ;D

Stiggolas - your idea should work, although you cannot connect a relay direct to the receiver - I don't think. You will need a switching unit.

Barrie

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 12:00:58 pm »

OOps got it wrong sorry john.

Stiggolas

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 12:43:35 pm »

Thanks for that.

John is the switching unit not just another relay (possibly solid state)?
I know I can get a SSR with low power switching, maybe this could be used. Switching one relay with another just seems wrong :)

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 12:57:58 pm »

Stiggolas

The Receiver outputs a digital stream with a varianble mark/space ratio - at least that's the way I understand it. What you need is a device to turn that into a usable voltage to switch your relay. (or am I talking rubbish here O0)

Anyway, take a look at the circuit here http://www.pm.keirle.com/1_gadgets/fet_switch_1/fet_switch_1.htm - there are others, or look at for ready built units.

Barrie

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 01:25:17 pm »

I'm not sure if a forward only sp controller can be made to work in reverse as well as forward, normally you would buy one or the other.. :D
Don't worry its an easy mistake to make, done that sort of thing myself, maybe you can swop them for something suitable rather than trying to make it work how you want?
I fly planes and have the same sp con, plus others, there's no difference in the wires its all in the circuit, lets hope someone who knows about these thing comes along and tell us one way or the other.!

JB.
XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)

Stiggolas

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 09:36:29 pm »

Hi Barrie, I appreciate the signal from the receiver will be a PWM one, but as the switch on the Planet 5 system is on or off, maybe the receiver output will be either all positive volts or all 0 volts depending on the switch position. I think I'm just going to have to try it. That circuit you pointed to says it won't work with a 2.4GHz system, so that's out.....
I might cut my losses and buy a Viper 20 or similar.

Thanks for all your input

Marcus

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 07:13:55 am »

Check that site - there is another circuit for 2,4Ghz.

Barrie

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 09:10:23 am »

I appreciate the signal from the receiver will be a PWM one, but as the switch on the Planet 5 system is on or off, maybe the receiver output will be either all positive volts or all 0 volts depending on the switch position.
No.  Its still PWM, with a value to set a servo in one position or another.  The switcher could have a solid state output, offering a disconnected condition switching to battery or ground, or it could have a relay output.  This relay might or might not have contacts capable of handling the motor current, and might or might not have enough contacts to achieve reversal.  If it does, great, if not, use the contact to operate one that does.  Some sort if interlock might be needed to ensure that reversal only happens when the motor is stopped.  Reversing a running motor can cause extra problems, brushed or brushless.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.