Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: RC Ferrari Hydroplane ready to conversion, " some thing different"  (Read 14748 times)

Meyer

• Shipmate

Hi, I have a RC Ferrari Hydroplane (built to a high std) coming from the States, I am going to convert to brushless watercooled, 3600kv & 60 a I'm going to upgrade the running gear and rudder & scoop,
any ideas or info would be most helpful and appreciate  to assist me on this build. ideas to make this a stable racer would be great,
length is 32 inches  10 inches high beam 14 inches weight approx 10/12 lbs

Meyer

• Shipmate
Re: RC Ferrari Hydroplane ready to conversion, " some thing different"
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 01:01:19 pm »

Hi, I have a RC Ferrari Hydroplane (built to a high std) coming from the Germany, I am going to convert to brushless watercooled, 3600kv & 60 a I'm going to upgrade the running gear and rudder & scoop,
any ideas or info would be most helpful and appreciate  to assist me on this build. ideas to make this a stable racer would be great,
length is 32 inches  10 inches high beam 14 inches weight approx 10/12 lbs

ukmike

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 01:15:54 pm »

Hi Roy.

Would give a little more thought to the choice of motor unless you intend to use a surface piercing prop.

What motor and batteries do you have in mind ?

Mike.

Meyer

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 01:26:41 pm »

Hi Mike, thanks for your post and interest, well its just been delivered, !!! " got the Pilot sorted",

Well I really do need some help on this one, !!! I need some ideas on what to use for motor and  running gear, what ideas do you have, I  have new Lipo's batts, 5000 2 cell at 7.4v
so what motor and speed controller do you think, is 60a ok for speed controller ? prop size is 45mm 2 bladed, shaft length 23cm, looking for  water scoop rudder, .
thanks,

ukmike

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 01:50:38 pm »

Roy.
It seems that the full size was not a surface piercing prop.
So, were I you I would lean toward an in runner of about 1000 kv (3 cell li-po) with water cooling for both.
With the right motor should go like sh*t off a shovel.
Keep us all informed.

Mike

Meyer

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 01:56:05 pm »

Thanks Mike,

Thanks a for info,  great starting point, " will keep you posted,

Roy

ukmike

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 02:14:37 pm »

Roy.
It is  a truly beautiful model, please make sure it performrs the way that is should.

Mike

Meyer

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 03:00:10 pm »

Thanks Mike,

Yes its a great model, and I must get it right,however  the rudder and running gear, (supplied) are very cheap poor cast, no CNC here, !!, !!! so I'll up grade to do the model justice,
I'll have a word with Simon, (at Propshop) when he gets back from this hols, with regards to supplying a prop and shaft.

Meyer

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 03:36:20 pm »

Hi  Mike, how about this, !!!!   found this, !!!!

Thanks Roy

Giantcod Guarantee

Please note that this motor is sold without the accessories pack. If you need an accessory (prop adapter, mount and screws) pack please click here.

XYH35-36 1000kv 30A Brushless Outrunner

These purple beasts are the Turnigy motors in a different case. They are made in the same factory to the same spec. Underneath the purple exterior you'll find the same motor. They come under many guises -- Purplepower, Wasp, Thumper, Turnigy to name but a few but you'll get them cheapest here.

Specification:
Kv or Rev/V: 1000
Maximum power 400W
Diameter: 35mm
Length: 36mm
Weight: 110g
Shaft Diameter: 4mm
Max Amp: 30A
Lipo: 2-3S
Recommended Prop: 3S -9x6 / 2S-11x6

ukmike

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 04:46:51 pm »

Roy.
The supplied fittings are indeed rubbish, O.K. for static display.

It looks like the electrics will be somewhat enclosed so that means very little cooling.
Water cooled in runner is the way to go I think, as will be the the ESC.
Look for something with a Little bit of umph, after all you don't want to put-put around the pond.
Ferrari means GO !!.
Mike

Meyer

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 06:21:22 pm »

Hi,Mike,
Good call,  I'll have a word with the guys at Giant cod and see what they can recommend, !!!
Roy

Meyer

• Shipmate
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 05:12:22 pm »

Hi there, I'v had a couple of pm's about this kit, and were to get it from, so here's the meat, I cannot hand on heart recommend a sit "were to buy" because I'm not in control of their quality, but..,,,
There are loads of CRAP MODELS out there,  !!! some are even made with 3mm pressed paper!!!!! so if your still blown away by this kit. tread the water with extreme care,as I fear the worst .
 !!! Amati have set the price tag of £338 for a 1/8th scale static display kit,!!!,( this price seems to be the starting point for kits from China and Far East) which when completed is real heavy !!! if considering to convert to R/C. all I can say is Ask every question you can think of, before you part with any cash. and good hunting.

Meyer

• Shipmate
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 05:13:58 pm »

Hi there, I'v had a couple of pm's about this kit, and were to get it from, so here's the meat, I cannot hand on heart recommend a site "were to buy" because I'm not in control of their quality, but..,,,
There are loads of 'rubbish' MODELS out there,  !!! some are even made with 3mm pressed paper!!!!! so if your still blown away by this kit. tread the water with extreme care,as I fear the worst .
 !!! Amati have set the price tag of £338 for a 1/8th scale static display kit,!!!,( this price seems to be the starting point for kits from China and Far East) which when completed is real heavy !!! if considering to convert to R/C. all I can say is Ask every question you can think of, before you part with any cash. and good hunting.

Meyer

• Shipmate
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 06:28:58 pm »

Amati Arno XI Ferrari 800kg Hydroplane 1953
At the beginning of the Sixties Nando Dell'Orto, the famous motorboat racer, decided to put a 12 cylinder Ferrari engine on a 3 point hull prepared by the Cantieri Timossi shipyard. The hull was designed for inboard races (class 800 kgs).
The engine was prepared by Rinaldo Tinarelli, who was known as "the wizard" , the structure of the hull was made of wooden joists covered with marine plywood.
The engine fairing and the stern fin, both colored in Ferrari red and with Ferrari markings, became a symbol of power and aggressiveness.

Kit includes all wooden laser cut structure; double planking in plywood and mahogany; already made fairing and stern fin ; steel dashboard and details; resin exhaust system and rudder.

Scale 1:8
Length: 790mm
Part No: A1604
Price: £330.95 (Including VAT at 20%)
Euros: €366.18 (Inc VAT) / US Dollars: US$449.54 (Tax Free)

Quantity: 

Customers who bought this item also bought:
1. Dragon 1:25 (Ref: SM051)
2. Endeavour America's Cup Challenger (Wood Hull) 1:80 (Ref: 1700/10)
3. Bluenose - Fishing Schooner 1921 (Ref: 1447)

CMB Online Store | Static Display Model Boat Kits  | Amati Static Display Kits | Arno XI Ferrari 800kg Hydroplane 1953

steamboatbob

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 02:11:06 am »

hi guys just to add my 2 cents to this

i built a slomoshun by billings which is a very similar craft to this one

2 things

It needs a very big motor to get it out of the water and onto the plane I used a very big fieago 540 can 5070 KV on 11 V and it only just got out of the water something along the lies of a 25000 rpm is what you should be aiming for (KV of motor * Voltage of batteries)

weight is a very big factor the lighter the better

Meyer

• Shipmate
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2011, 11:31:06 am »

Hi Steamboatbob, 

Thanks for your post, (very interesting) a good tip about motors,
I have a  couple of motors to try , !!!!   a 3600v and a 1200 kv  inrunner which I could try, running on 60a or 100a speed controller, on 2 or 3 cell Li-Po's, !!!
Question, if I set the 3600v ( with reverse) will I loose forward speed ?

thanks for your post and interest,

MikeA

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2011, 12:38:52 pm »

hey roy. i got that 3600kv and i use it on a 37.5 surface prop recommended by jan. anyway he told me that the 3600's external measurements 3660 include the cooling jacket which not the standard method. So it turns out that the motor size is not 3660 but a 2845. and the highest you want to go is 30mm prop.

how big is thnat 1200kv motor?

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2011, 12:57:42 pm »

No matter what you put in it you will be disapointed in it because its way too heavy for its size,heck 10lb-12lb is very heavy when you consider my 50" comet glass hydroplane weighed in at just 7lb empty and 16lb fully loaded with  gas engine and fuel.I also had a 46" rockett hydro from zippkits that weighed 17lb and that went well over 60 mph but these are not scale boats,the scale hydros just dont seem to run well when scaled down to these sizes.If it were me id leave that loveley boat on the shelf and get something built for running.
Mart

Meyer

• Shipmate
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2011, 01:29:30 pm »

Hi my boat weighs in at 6.5 lbs, and will info on the 1200v inrunner , I just what to get it running, and then it can sit proud on my china cabinet, !!!
thanks for info and all posts,

Meyer

• Shipmate
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2011, 01:33:51 pm »

Hi Here's the meat on the motor 1200v,

Specification

Brushless motor Model   SeaMonster-3656-1200Kv
Rotational Speed   1200Kv (rpm/v)
Max Current   100A
Power (W)   450W
Input Voltage   11.1v- 18.5v
Motor Weight   310g
Max. Efficiency   98%
No Load Current   1A
Internal Resistance   39mO
Motor Dimensions (Diameter x Length)   43.8mm x 63 mm + 10 mm ( pipe )
Shaft Dimensions (Diameter x Length)   5.0mm x 22mm
Input Battery Types   NiCd/ Nimh/ Li-po Battery
Cooling Type   Water Cool
Wire Winds   9
Recommend Model   RC Model Boat
Water Cooling Brushless motor which have special design with water cooling system. This system uses water to cool off the motor which can make the motor more efficient and Powerful.
Package Contents

SeaMonster Water Cool Brushless Motor 1200kv (450W) with accessories

MikeA

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2011, 01:40:52 pm »

it is a nice model even if it doesnt run. but it would be cool if it did. 6.5 lbs is still weighty though. with hardware in it that could round up to 9, if you can get it up to at least scale speed then anything above is a bonus.

MikeA

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2011, 01:52:59 pm »

this ebay shops sells them ready converted. scale 1/10 speed is about 15 mph which isnt massively difficult to achieve with brushless i wouldnt have though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FERRARI-ARNO-XI-HYDROPLANE-R-C-BRUSHLESS-1-10-/130336239763?pt=UK_Antiques_Marine_RL&hash=item1e58a53093

Meyer

• Shipmate
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2011, 02:17:51 pm »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the ebay link, !!!! WOW, at £500 notes its a bit heavy on the pocket, I picked mine up at just under £250. so even with the best running gear " I'll still be laughing," !!!
oh, I have an other Canopy being shipped , if any one is interested,

cheers and thanks again for all your posts and info, its all most appreciated,  "MORE PLEASE !!!

Roy

MikeA

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2011, 02:17:52 pm »

i reckon that 1200kv with 1 38-40mm submerged prog and 3s would go nicely 4s would be better though. what batteries do you have?

Meyer

• Shipmate
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2011, 02:33:50 pm »

Hi Mike,

Will need to get new Li-po's for this Baby, !!! prob, 3 cell, what do think? (I'm still getting my head around Li-Po's, I have,
2 x batts, 7.4 (2 cells) which I charge at 7.4v , but for some reason, they finished charge was 8.4v? and tried to set my speed controller, and got a beep every second,( then I checked voltage, (to high I think ?) at 8.4v, so now discharging down to 7.4V , then I'll try again, (its Black Magic ) to me,//!!??

Roy

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.