Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Motorbike Insurance  (Read 1399 times)

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
Motorbike Insurance
« on: August 18, 2011, 08:30:51 am »

Last March I renewed my insurance with Carole Nash, which also includes breakdown cover.

At the end of July I went on line to buy a new tax disc, after a couple of screens it anounced that there was no insurance for this bike, I went through the proccedure again just to make sure , with the same results.
So I rang the agents, after telling my story to the man, he said that it had been cancelled in April, for no apparent reason.
He put me on to a colleague who said they would give me a new policy from that day for a year. So I've five months for free.... but I keep wondering what would have happened if I been stopped by the police, and presumablely my breakdown was also cancelled.
I don't usually carry my insurance cert. with me, so how would I convince the man in blue not to impound the bike and let me walk home, in May I did a tour of Scotland so it would have been a long walk.

When the new policy came there was no mention of the problem or a "sorry".

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
Re: Motorbike Insurance
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 11:11:02 am »

Scary 

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 11:32:16 am »

There is a site on the Web that can check whether you vehicle is Insured or not with the DVLA

Go HERE ----------------------http://www.askmid.com/

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 12:22:29 pm »

I usually pay mine annually up front, so there should never be a problem, but you do hear horror stories about policies being paid monthly and suddenly vanishing.  I suppose the answer, that the boys in blue would throw at you while they were giving you a bill for a problem that you didn't create, is that since the facility is there, you should have checked before leaving home that you were still insured.  Every time you go out.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

FsASTSyd1

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 12:49:36 pm »

As I understand it, even if you have your certificate with you, if the computer doesn't confirm that you have cover, untill you or they can get confirmation from your ins company you are walking. The boys in blue are under instructions to believe the computer rather than your expensive piece of paper. Seems to make it a bit futile to have the certificate in the first place,all this information,and MOT, is on the magic box so you can retax on line with nothing other than the number on the renewal notice. How did we ever manage before computers!!!!! in my experience quite often much better. %% {-) O0

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 12:49:55 pm »

Sadly not the only case know of.The gentleman concerned was able to insure himself at the road side otherwize his car was to have been impounded.John.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 04:20:58 pm »

Seems to make it a bit futile to have the certificate in the first place
More a rather fancy receipt than anything else.  You still need a traceable paper trail, something physical that you can take into a court as physical evidence, along with a paper bank staement showing that the company did take your money to provide the service.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.