Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Motor or Paint  (Read 4662 times)

Ade the Blade

Motor or Paint
« on: August 18, 2011, 10:01:12 pm »

Hi all this my first ever question so please be kind , i am coverting a 3ft long mtb into a 1970 cabin cruiser and so far all is going well the new superstructure is very close to being finnished, it sits in primer and awaits a new coat of paint as does the hull

So my question is with the hull and upper deck only need a nice new gloss coat do i fit it out with motors batts and a new prop shaft first or paint it first ,the hull is wood if this helps

Any help Regards Ade

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Motor or Paint
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 10:47:59 pm »

As the propshaft has to come out the bottom of the hull id fit this first and install motor.I feel this would avoid paint damage with you being able to paint over propshaft and any filler glue etc that youve used and maybe rubbed down.John.

wartsilaone

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 11:09:52 pm »

Yes I agree. Sort out the propshaft outlet/water interface first. You an can clean up the propshaft after painting but you don't want to get paint in your motors.

Ali.

MikeA

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 02:10:06 am »

have you designed the boat your self ? can we have a look :D

Ade the Blade

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 09:06:10 pm »

Thanks gents for the advice i will post pics soon one question i have to ask is it easy to post pics on the site as i would love to show of the hard work done so far but i am no computer expert my wife know,s  a lot more than me so i have to rely on her for photo,s .

If it,s easy i will get the good lady to put up a few shots on Saturday pm, in answer Mad Mike,s question i have totally change the whole look of this boat and when you guys see it it may help as to weather i should paint first or fit motors etc will update tommorow.

Thanks Ade.

MikeA

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 09:18:31 pm »

yeah sure its easy to add pictures. under the smileys and stuff it says "Add image to post" you click that which then opens a small box. you then click browse search for the image you want to upload and then click family safe. then up load. then the file will show up on your screen as a text. when you opost the the thread the image wil appear in the forum.

Ade the Blade

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 09:31:18 pm »

Hi Mike thanks for the easy way to upload pic,s i will post some pic,s on Satarday and see if i should fit motors first or paint first ,thanks everyone Regards Ade

MikeA

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 11:42:33 pm »

as far as fitting before painting. definatly fit the mechanicals first. youl have to wrestle with the boat especially trying to fit the prop shaft threw the hull and that will need filling and making water tight. if you paint first youl either scratch it or end up sanding the bottom back to wood again because of a leaky prop shaft tube.

Ade the Blade

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 08:46:19 am »

Hi Mike i will take your advice and that of all the other kind folk and fit it out first as you say it might damage the new paint .This now throws up a heap of problems i was hoping to put off till a bit later yes it,s the what motor and esc do i fit / prop tube i feel a headache coming on .

As i said i will post up a few pics and maybe you guys might have a few thoughts on this matter i will take a pic of the prop tube as well as this boat use to have a glow motor at some point and looking at the tube it has rusted solid salt water i guess i am hoping to go brushless as heat has always been a problem on other RTR boats but i know nothing about brushless motors .

Regards Ade

MikeA

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 09:23:25 am »

nah this is the good bit imo. take the prop shaft out also what kind of speeds do you want?

Ade the Blade

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 05:32:15 pm »

Hi all as promised a few pics of the boat with the mods carried out so far and a few shots of what she use to look like she is 3ft long and now needs a Brushless motor over to guys any thoughts welcome

Ade the Blade

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 05:37:16 pm »

Opps i hoped they might have turned out a bit bigger Ade

MikeA

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011, 06:17:58 pm »

very good. is that jetski battery operated  :o maybe you could make that rc as well theres a challenge for ya  :-))

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 06:29:06 pm »

Hi all as promised a few pics of the boat with the mods carried out so far and a few shots of what she use to look like she is 3ft long and now needs a Brushless motor over to guys any thoughts welcome

Looking good. Brushless motors? Have a look at Giant Cod's website, Dave.  :-))

http://www.giantcod.co.uk/brushless-motor-c-25.html

Ade the Blade

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2011, 07:56:49 pm »

Hi guys thank,s for the comments the jet ski is battery operated and for sale in TK Max at the moment for six quid and it has a rudder and a small motor the same as you get in slot cars i can,t spell Scalitric . But like you i want to rc this and upgrade the motor i think you can get hot slot car motors so it ,s on the list of things to do .I will have a look at Giant Cod,s web site thanks Number 6 not that i know one motor from another but any help is gratefully recived.

Regards Ade

MikeA

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2011, 08:01:28 pm »

the motors are usually the 3v type with the flat sides. i think even the scalilectric cars use them. i think thouh that if installed a micro servo you could probably drive the standard motor for the drive straight from the receiver. I presume its a pump right? Btw ade i would wait till someone tells ya which motor to buy i just spent 50 quid on mine and its not up to the job

Ade the Blade

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2011, 08:26:12 pm »

Sorry to hear your 50 notes lighter and no whoosh .The ski has a strange drive it is not jet but the motor powers a disk that has 4 raised blades and it sits flat in the hull i hope i have explaned it sort off i have yet to try it with a battery in even at bath time so no performance stats as yet stay tuned

Regards Ade

MikeA

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2011, 08:30:49 pm »

in my oppinion a brushed motor would be fine. i think this would do it with direct drive:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MFA-TORPEDO-850-ELECTRIC-MOTOR-ESC-P-PACK-MODEL-BOATS-/400233343175?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item5d2fc428c7

looks pricey but thats everything except the propshaft. just need the rc and battery

Ade the Blade

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2011, 08:42:26 pm »

Hi Mike i was hoping for brushless but not one to discount any thoughts do you think this will lift the hull on the plane as i only have nicads at the moment

Regards Ade

MikeA

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2011, 08:43:35 pm »

oh yeah its a mtb or huntsmen drive kit

Ade the Blade

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2011, 08:48:10 pm »

So what your saying is has a lot of poke and grunt for a boat of this size as it has gained  a bit of lard since i have made the changes

Regards Ade

MikeA

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2011, 09:02:08 pm »

it will give you a realistic planing speed there is a probably cheaper ways about it but thats an all in pack. esc, prop, motor all the hard bits done for ya. you need a 12v battery to get it up there though. with a hull of your size you could use a big yuasa type golf caddy battery.

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2011, 10:01:01 pm »

I'm no expert on brushless motors, that's why I didn't suggest any.  :embarrassed: Just seen where you are Ade, why not pop along to the Warrington show(s) next weekend. There's plenty to look at there and may be able to get some good advice, just a thought, Dave.  :-))

Ade the Blade

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2011, 08:05:34 am »

Hi Dave i think i will take a look as Warrington is only half an hour down the road is it a static show or on a lake as it would be nice to get a bit of free advice and see a few boats as well .Mike i think your thoughts on this motor set up may be the ticket as you say it,a a compleate package and saves a lot of head scratching

Regards Ade

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2011, 08:49:09 am »

Still not sure if there will be a pool to sail on at the Haydock Park site as it's in a different location than usual (where there is a small lake). There will be lots to look at with plenty of clubs and traders and people are always happy to give advice. Dave.  :-))

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.