Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Batteries  (Read 2806 times)

Stanley

Batteries
« on: August 20, 2011, 09:17:04 pm »

Hi,

This is my first post so perhaps a bit of an introduction.  I live in County Durham and have been retired for about a year and a half.  Ten years ago I was ill and off work for many months and to occupy me I started to build the SS Talacre.  I enjoyed building the model very much although I had to return to work before it was complete and hence it eventually took about 2 years.  About 5 years ago we moved from our home at the time, Thurso Scotland, back to the North East.  In the move the model was damaged and I am currently carrying out repairs.  When this is complete I have a model of the Sir Kay minesweeper to start.

The main battery, 12 volt lead acid, is flat and the charger I have makes no attempt to charge it.  I need to buy a new battery to test the electrics but there now seems to be a lot of more modern batteries around (eg Nimh).  What is the best way to go lead acid or a newer type?  If the latter what is used for ballast these days?

Many thanks,

Stanley

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
Re: Batteries
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 09:47:19 pm »

I'll stick my neck out and suggest something like this, maybe a 4.2Ah or 7.2Ah depending on the motor...plenty of weight for ballast too, I stand to be corrected...!

http://www.maplin.co.uk/sealed-lead-acid-batteries-19363?ordercode=L53AC

JB.
XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)

ixion

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 09:54:11 pm »

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 10:00:10 pm »

Yes probably...just an example, you do have to shop around and find the best deal  :-)

JB.
XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 10:56:38 pm »

I have a similar scratch built model as the Talacre and I am using a Sealed Lead Acid battery.

This allows me to power the model without adding any extra ballast.

For new battery http://www.component-shop.co.uk/html/lead-acid.html

Click on the picture of the battery and you will open another window with battery dimensions, power etc.

The Component Shop give excellent service [often next day delivery] and cheap P&P.

Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 07:26:51 am »

If you just want to test your boat then use a fly lead off your car battery.John.

regiment

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 11:53:33 am »

i have a good used 12 volt 7 amp sealed battery  FREE trouble is post is £6  pm if any use

Stanley

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 05:55:34 pm »

Regiment,

Many thanks for the very kind offer.  Can I keep the offer open for a couple of days.  A friend maintains security systems and he uses lead acid batteries of this size and voltage.  However he was not sure of the AH capacity or discharge rates.  He should get me the info tomorrow.  If they are not suitable I will gladly take up your offer.

Many thanks again.

regiment

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 11:49:36 am »

ok let me know one way or the other battery  sitting in my shed doing nothing reg

Stanley

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 08:39:13 pm »

Regiment,

My friend has provided me with a suitable battery so I do not need to take you up on your generous offer.

Many thanks again,

Stanley

regiment

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 01:50:40 pm »

ok stanley thanks for letting me know
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 21 queries.