Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: battery MAH rating  (Read 1295 times)

n33h

battery MAH rating
« on: August 21, 2011, 09:46:51 am »

morning all, i have 2x 9.6v ni-cd battery's, one battery is 1000MAH but the other one does'nt have the rating on it, its a flat pack battery which consist's of 8x AA batt's,                                                                        is there any way i can find/work out what the MAH rating is (i have looked on the internet to no availe and threw the charger away many years ago as i use a multi batt charger)                                                                                                              regards n33h (nick)

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: battery MAH rating
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 10:03:14 am »

Without any markings, the only way is to fully charge, then do a test discharge with a known load (say a resistor calculated to result in 500mA at the nominal voltage), logging the state at intervals, until its discharged.  Since it must be old (if it came with the discarded charger) then assume a low capacity (say, 700mAH) and charge accordingly until it measures as if it was fully charged.  Say 50mA for 24 hours.  The low charging rate should ensure that no damage occurs due to overcharging.
Once you know how long you get at half an amp, divide the time by two and you have the AmpHour figure.  Multiply by 1000 and you have mAH.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 22 queries.