Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 25   Go Down

Author Topic: My 12 foot Gato class submarine!  (Read 248017 times)

sub john

My 12 foot Gato class submarine!
« on: August 21, 2011, 11:30:45 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmPEnRv5wWM           please view this and put your thoughts back to me lol thanks people also part 2 is a link in the decription part of the video

MikeA

Re: 12 foot gato class submarine video
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 12:05:10 pm »

what a machine!! thanks for the video of john  :-))

sub john

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 12:40:59 pm »

HI Mad Mike
  Thanks for comment on video of submarine, have been looking into this a bit more on doing sonar for underwater have found how to make transducer for transmitting end and receiving end is quite easy  have been playing about with low frequency video link for under water but it all takes time to design once you have done the first one its easy. With sonar link it should be able to work 500ft down with a bit of luck
                    ALL THE BEST JOHN

MikeA

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 12:45:26 pm »

when we did the possibilites thread i put up a link for a accoustic modem using sound to transfer data.
http://www.tritech.co.uk/products/products-micron_modem.htm
40 bps spread spectrum means nout to me 500m horizontal range 150m vertical range

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 12:50:44 pm »

Excellent demo, John.

...And the best use of a garage ever.  :}

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

sub john

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 01:04:33 pm »

REPLY#3 hi mad Mike

The link that you was talking about data transfar is to slow for what we won't now i no how to make transducer for TX end it's quite possible to make one that will knock out 70-80 watts which will give you quite a range
  REPLY #4 HI Dreadnought 72
      Thanks for leaving reply glad you like video was getting problems with RF from different radio links which blizzard the video camera at one point blizzard the memory card in camera thought it had killed the camera and yes best use of a garage yet.
      all the best John

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 04:18:17 pm »

That has got to be one of the most impressive bits of model boat engineering and ingenuity I've ever seen!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Patrick Henry

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 04:30:10 pm »

Martin, I could sail (and dive) my Kilo in the hull of that thing!

sub john

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 05:49:51 pm »

Reply #6
  HI Martin
 It is really good when somebody like yourself comes back and appresshates the time and effort that has gone into building the sub and the electronics to make it all work Richard from the AMS has got a video of most of the sub inside and he said he will put it up on you tube. thanks for the interest John

MikeA

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 06:15:34 pm »

we all counting on ya to spearhead the development of scale marine technology. No pressure john :-))

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 07:35:25 pm »

Superb model engineering of a difficult type of vessel. Congratulations. We would all love to see a video of it in the water, hint hint !
..well can you land on this?

sub john

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 07:54:45 pm »

REPLY #10
  HI Arrow 5 Thanks for comments on sub have got video of sub from 20 years ago when central TV came out and filmed it, but video is in VHS format but have got it on DVD but having problems trying to convert it to go on youtube it is about 1 hour long

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011, 08:11:29 pm »

Thanks John, I know what you mean about converting VHS to digital formats. Not for the amateur, i`ve got miles of tape that will probably be stored for the ancestors to figure out !  Have you tried tv archive from Central or their successors ?
..well can you land on this?

sub john

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 07:58:44 pm »

REPLY#12 HI ARROW5
       Fine on contacting central TV one of the things that I'm not sure about is on video tape that i have got some of the video has got central TV logo on it, not sure how this would be putting it on youtube would it come under some copy wright even as i am on the video, would it be best to get in touch with central TV and ask as i could see it getting complicated

on video that you watched i didn't say that i had fitted new level controll for back hydroplanes old unit worked off in-fa red scraped that and fitted new accelerometer sensor 2g unit has to be very very sensitive because of how long the sub is 
     all the best John

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 10:11:53 pm »

Superb sub and great video. Make it clear just how big it is and all the gubins you have in it.

thebackways

• Shipmate
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2011, 11:50:56 pm »

Dear santa.... lol
absolute marvel of engineering.

however....we need to see it in the water  :-))

MikeA

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2011, 11:59:06 pm »

i cant believe he was considering chopping it up and skippin it !!%% %% maybe you got a bubble on the brain john  :-)) {-)

treeboa

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2011, 02:00:25 am »

thats way and above modelling  %%, bet theres been some love/hate moments in its build, whats the actual max depth you have taken her too ?
do you have an emergency/ rx-tx failure system in place that will after pre set parameters are met  surface her without user input

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2011, 06:57:11 pm »

With regards to converting video formats, I use a piece of software called virtualdub (free and powerful, although a little cryptic to use at first). Any video that goes up on Youtube or Vimeo should be H.264 codec, which is the native codec for those sites, and also the most efficient. I use Virtualdub all the time for cleaning up old footage and also for correcting aspect ratios and converting codecs.

One caveat is that the footage must be in avi format. As you have the footage on DVD you may have to convert the mpeg 2 first before converting to mpeg 4 (h.264)

http://www.virtualdub.org/

Perhaps you could bring it along to the Dive-in at Brockwell in November, a good chance to stretch it's legs in the olympic size pool, and good clear water for videoing in.

sub john

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2011, 07:27:54 pm »

Reply#14
HI Mankster Thanks for comments on sub and video it is cram full of electronics and getting worse

sub john

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2011, 07:32:19 pm »

Reply #15
HI Lilgoth89, Santa won't get this in his bag, nice when somebody else appreshates it going to try to get it on the water for next year see what trouble i can get into
                    All the best John

sub john

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2011, 07:35:57 pm »

Reply#16
  HI MAD mike, its not a bubble its water on the brain the misses says i am mad any way yes i was going to saw it up with a jigsaw cutter,
                  JOHN

sub john

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2011, 07:50:28 pm »

Reply#17
HI Treeboa The hardest part was doing all the electronics for it  love/hate moments don't even go there.  The actual depth must be about 20ft sat on the bottom of Davy Jones. The sub has got quite a few failsafes radio fail safe circuit monitoring different channels to make sure it is a proper radio fail safe all fail safes circuits link to monitoring battery voltage eg it you are running submerged and the battery's start to run down sub will surface and after it has blown all the tanks won't let you dive the sub again, radio fail safe also monitoring any leaks in sub, and it so will blow tanks again there is quite a few other bits as well  thanks for interest
         JOHN

sub john

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2011, 09:14:49 pm »

REPLY#18
HI Subculture, I think you converted the video of Nick Burge subs in his back garden have watched it quite a few times  think you made a good job of it, the video i have of my sub is about 20 years old thanks for info on converting video to go on youtube and thanks for link will look into it and see what i can do. But as for bringing the sub to Brockwell i don't no how you would get it in the water never mind get the beast out really need a slip way to push it into water and push sub off trailer, at the moment seem to have problems with the trailer as it has stood for 18 years and the bearings on wheels seem to be US plus need to have good look at it to make sure there is nothing else wrong with it. Thanks for your help John

Patrick Henry

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 25   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 21 queries.