Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 25   Go Down

Author Topic: My 12 foot Gato class submarine!  (Read 248446 times)

MikeA

Re: 12 foot gato class submarine video
« Reply #125 on: September 24, 2011, 07:40:48 pm »

Well i actually carry them in a box my boats are deep v fast hulls so there flat. i put them in a box and put them under the pushchair so my boats have to be small to get under the pushchair itself. the box is actually a guitar box that i bought for my son, i took the guitar out and put my boat in it, guitar boxes are triangle so they fit perfectly. I went to morrisons the other day and i walked threw the checkout carrying it and the till lady piped up why i hadnt scanned it. I dont ever recall being able to buy guitars from morrisons and the box was tatty and damp.

When you get your sub finished john you might be able to get another feature in a magazine. Anyway regaurding your planes what you got then?

silent running556

« Reply #126 on: September 25, 2011, 09:07:49 pm »

Have you got any lights at all on it btw?

sub john

« Reply #127 on: September 25, 2011, 09:54:05 pm »

Reply#125
  HI Mike,  Sounds a good idea using the guitar case to carry your boats in, i suppose it helps to protect them. I have got a fast electric boat brushless motor fitted giro control trim tabs to it, doesn't half make it stable when flat out there is about a 12ft plume of water coming out of the back and about 5ft high it doesn't hang about, haven't used it for over a year. Fine on what you said about morrisons going through check out my son works for them so we will say no more. Mike have a look on youtube look for F3A patternships thats one of the big planes that i fly that pulls about 3500watts 42volts using 10 lipo cells will climb vertical out of site also fly smaller pattern ships as well plus fly 3D prop hanging and so on i don't think i would ever pack up flying i enjoy it to much. The trouble is Mike it all gets expensive with different hobbies  the last couple of days have been making SWR power meter digital this unit is to check RF power to antenna and for checking voltage standing wave ratio in other words SWR this unit monitors matching unit for antenna in water for controlling sub
         JOHN

MikeA

« Reply #128 on: September 25, 2011, 11:32:58 pm »

need to keep them proptected during transport. im starting build on the trawler as soon as my wood turns up from ebay. it wont be scale or anything but ill enjoy building and sailing it none the less. Going to have a bit of a problem transporting it though. The way you model though john it will be expensive i dont spend anymore than a ton on each model lol this trawler is going to cost me 40 quid to make.

sub john

« Reply #129 on: September 26, 2011, 09:17:53 pm »

Reply #128
 HI Mike,   Fine on spending a ton on each model, Mike i does not matter how much you spend on building a model as long as you enjoy building it and sailing it thats  what counts some body gave me a plane called a cougar when i got it been in a crash it had been glow plug engine but i rebuilt it turned it to electric and i have had more fun flying that than anything else i fly but the guy that gave me the plane when he saw it fly was not happy. And i do get a buzz out of sorting things out like that. I have been making RF amp for video link for under water today, where i used to work the boss used to let me have blown up RF slabs but me being me i can quite often repair these, so the one that i have been working on has been repaired and now i have reworked it to work on a much lower frequency, to give you a idea of the size of the bits inside the slab the chip caps are smaller than a pin head at one time Mike i was sick of the sites of the stuff but have got interested in doing things for my self again
   JOHN

MikeA

« Reply #130 on: September 27, 2011, 09:09:08 am »

well glad your back into it.

sub john

« Reply #131 on: October 03, 2011, 10:31:16 am »

hi mike here are a couple of picture of a auto antenna tuner software controlled for the radio link to the boat

also this other picture is of the swr - power meter for checking atu matching of the antenna for the sub

MikeA

« Reply #132 on: October 03, 2011, 10:36:17 am »

enlighten me on what these do ?

sub john

« Reply #133 on: October 03, 2011, 06:29:15 pm »

Reply #132
  HI Mike,    The two pictures of the big unit this is a antenna matcher but what it does is remember matching combination for SWR it can remember in 5kHz steps all the way through the HF radio ham bands and as soon as you go back to another frequency it will switch certain relays which will switch  caps and inductors to match the Ariel to a different band very quick. This can be used for Ariel under water at high power lots of watts

The small black box with blue LCD display this will tell you the SWR at the Ariel will tell you if you have a good match at the Ariel  and will also tell you peak power in watts which is ideal to tell you if you have a good match at the Ariel, which will be in the water

Did you get the wood to make your boat,   have you made it yet
                        JOHN

MikeA

« Reply #134 on: October 03, 2011, 08:53:41 pm »

so let me get this straight this here doodaa  ok2 changes the setup when you change frequency on transmitter? why is it necessary to change frequency? what hurdle did you faulter at requiring this solution?

here is a link btw of my build :

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=32783.0

its now 40cm 

g4yvm

« Reply #135 on: October 03, 2011, 10:59:58 pm »

Im intrigued too: why are you intending to transmit high power HF, at varying frequencies, from underwater?  Unless you are feeding live video back of course, but why the varying freq?

David

sub john

« Reply #136 on: October 04, 2011, 09:25:28 pm »

Reply#135
   HI David,      One of the jobs that the matcher will do if i am controlling the sub on LF and then go to a higher frequency for controlling the sub under water then the matcher will automatically re-tune antenna to that band.  Have been working on low frequency video link for transmitting back from under water from the submarine seem to have got it working now. The sub works on about 5 different frequency's
                     JOHN

MikeA

« Reply #137 on: October 05, 2011, 10:47:04 am »

good stuff then  :-)) when you do a youtube vid do you think you could give us underwater action ?

sub john

« Reply #138 on: October 06, 2011, 08:44:14 pm »

hi mike with a bit of luck will get the sub on the water next year and will try to get a video of it under water and i will put it on utube     i found this site on mayhem under electrics this is the link to it          http://cp-elektronik.de/index.php/downloads           the unit will split 1 channel on your tx unit into 12 switching functions that will give you on / off   the pcb board has got 12 relays fitted to drive what you want  the rx unit and tx side have got pics fitted with have got software on   the site has got eveything you will need     eg circuit diagrams and PCB layouts and the hex files to program the pics  the only thing is the website is all in German but you can use goggle translater for that i have built both units and fitted in to fx-14 robbe futaba and works fine here are some pics so you have an idea of what it looks like

MikeA

« Reply #139 on: October 06, 2011, 11:32:51 pm »

very clever stuff. You know john i got the impression you allready had this stuff sussed 20 years ago and back then it had underwater camera and heading feedback. Are you just ugrading or was a miss informed?

sub john

« Reply #140 on: October 07, 2011, 07:58:21 pm »

Reply#139
 HI Mad Mike  Yes i did do it 20 years ago but this is not just for subs, you can now use this for model boats for switching on lights,  radar, sound effects, and lots of other things as well what set me off to make it was some body on a forum some where that they could not get it to work, and as it was a challenge for me i thought i would have a go i don't read German so i think i did a good job to get it to work the way it does, circuit diagrams i can read doesn't matter what language it is i get by its all quite straight forward didn't even bother translating it from German to English. Had a look at link you sent me for your boat it is very small what are you going to use for battery's to run it
   JOHN

MikeA

« Reply #141 on: October 07, 2011, 09:11:20 pm »

8.4 nimh yeah it is small but i like building small boats. there easier to transport, there easier to store when not used and cheap to build. im just fitting out the bridge on it at the moment. ive made a 5/8 radar monitor for it, small box with a tiny light bulb in it and which then projects light threw an image to give the affect of a screen. i wanted to use an actual moving image with a key ring photoframe, but the one ive got wont work on this version of windows and the slide show frame is too slow to give the optical affect of a moving picture.

sub john

« Reply #142 on: October 08, 2011, 06:18:17 pm »

Reply#141
 Hi Mad Mike,  That's one thing about building small it's easy to move about, that sub of mine is to big to take out regular and sail it the effort in trying to get it ready to take out to sail is a pain in the neck and the same problem when you bring it back home. Fine on battery pack for your boat i have got one of them key fob rings which show pictures I'm sure the one i got works on windows OK, I got it from boots  if thats any help

I have sent you a private PM
                  John

MikeA

« Reply #143 on: October 08, 2011, 06:26:03 pm »

i see it now its ok.

MikeA

« Reply #144 on: October 08, 2011, 06:32:04 pm »

do you remeber when i was pming you about the use of the frame to make moving images. Do you think its possible to increase the slide show frame rate?

sub john

« Reply #145 on: October 08, 2011, 10:18:21 pm »

Reply#144
  HI Mike  The moving images on the key fob ring need to have a look inside of one before i can say about increasing the slide show frame rate, on yours does it have a button to step through one by one of the pictures or does it go into auto run stepping through pictures on its own, i will have to see if i can get inside mine and see what makes it tick. Have you got a spare key fob ring that we can take apart and have a look
      JOHN

MikeA

« Reply #146 on: October 09, 2011, 09:26:56 am »

ill have to get another one. mine has 3 buttons on it i can select manual flick threw or slide show. for some reason the one i have isnt compatible with my version of windows so ill have to look on ebay for one.

sub john

« Reply #147 on: October 09, 2011, 02:30:00 pm »

Reply#146
HI Mike   Had a play with my key fob ring if i go into manual mode it will change a picture one ever second  wouldn't be a problem to make a circuit to switch in manual mode if you get another key fob unit we can always have a look and see about changing it, in manual mode does yours change 1 ever second
        John

MikeA

« Reply #148 on: October 09, 2011, 04:33:02 pm »

it changed over every 5 seconds but for some reason my computer wont access it. if it could be changed to say 0.20 seconds then i could decompile a gif image and upload each individual picture on to the frame. then when select slideshow the image on the screen with flicker threw the pictures and make a moving radar screen image on 1inch screen!!

like this eg:

http://blog.reddodo.com/generator/animated-radar-screen-on-your-mobile

except without your text on it

sub john

« Reply #149 on: October 11, 2011, 09:16:21 pm »

Reply#148
 HI Mike,  I can see what you are trying to do and i can see why you won't it to change .2 of a second so it gives you the effect of a radar screen its strange as mine changes ever 1 second pressing button manually but yours changes ever 5 seconds. My computer runs in duel boot but works fine in windows on key fob ring if you get another one if you wont we can crack it open and have a play to see if we can mod it, been on the last few days putting video link in screen box which is also heat sink for RF output to fit inside of sub for low frequency video link
         John
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 25   Go Up

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 19 queries.