Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25   Go Down

Author Topic: My 12 foot Gato class submarine!  (Read 248011 times)

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 12 foot gato class submarine video
« Reply #425 on: September 13, 2013, 01:01:24 pm »

HI Derekwarner-decoy
           Yes the deck is real wooden strips, and was bonded down with very thin super glue lots of it. Under the planks of wood there is hundreds of holes to let the air out when the sub dives.
            The varnish that i used was made by Ronseal outdoor varnish clear waterproof protection must admit the first time i used it the deck came out really shinny whet back to the shop having a go about it because it said on the tin that it was clear satin, had to sand all the deck down again and then what i did was to put about 30% white Sprite mixed into the varnish end result is what you see now.
            Thanks for the interest Derek   All the best Sub John

Gazza

• Full Mayhemer
  • If its to windy to fly I'm boating
« Reply #426 on: September 14, 2013, 09:26:40 pm »

does exactly what it says on the tin   {-)
retired and loving it

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #427 on: September 28, 2013, 08:47:34 pm »

thought id post some new pictures of the sub of the water   thanks to rob for taking the pictures and sending me some coppies of them to post on hear

here is the web link   so u can see this mans work if you would like pictures doing etc http://paap.foliopic.com/   thanks rob

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #428 on: September 28, 2013, 10:29:18 pm »

:-)) ...yes....black & white images can add reality congratulations.......Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #429 on: September 29, 2013, 11:12:18 am »

HI Derek
     Yes i must admit that black and white pictures make it look more of the part of a second world war sub, i thought Robert took some very good pictures will have to get him to come out next time i go. He said he will do a picture to put in a frame which will be nice.
           Thanks for the interest John

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #430 on: September 29, 2013, 11:17:54 am »

HI GAZZA
        Trouble is it does not do exactly what it says on the tin it was not funny at the time when i had to sand the deck all down and start again. Get your Picassa boat done so i can use it for target practice HA HA
      All the best John

Gazza

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #431 on: September 29, 2013, 06:54:06 pm »

No problem john just waiting for firework night  <*< . . . .  thinking about my Perkasa and its torpedoes or Depth charge . . . or shall I do both and as next month its. . . . . HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER. .  {-) {-) {-) {-)
retired and loving it

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #432 on: September 29, 2013, 09:27:58 pm »

HI Gazza
       All i can say is Garry you won't have to wait for fire work night if some of these torpedoes hit your perkasa it won't just be the sky that lights up it will be Davy Jones locker that your boat will be heading for. And fine on the hunt for red october it could be dive at dawn and ready for battle guns at the ready BANG PERKASA GONE

But on a serious note hopefully will be taking the sub out again in two weeks time if weather is OK hope you can make it
                   All the best John

Gazza

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #433 on: September 30, 2013, 09:54:50 am »

Now come on John we all know the perkasa's have wooden hulls and im hoping your gunner etc. is boss eyed and miss's
 But any way just look out for this on the water . . . .

LOL Ok banter over now this week end at king lears lake its
 October 2013 6th
 BMPRS First Race of 2013, King Lears Lake, Watermead Country Park, Near Wanlip, Leicestershire
 http://kinglearmodelboatclub.co.uk/

NOTE council charge £2.50 entry on an automatic machine NO CHANGE GIVEN & automatic drop down post

Its them mega Fast boats so yea leave it till next week but on the other hand it could be good torpedo pratice for you

Right back to the gunder powder plot LOL and to stop h jacking your post . .
 sorry John hope you got that new Video link up and running now

retired and loving it

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #434 on: September 30, 2013, 06:37:43 pm »

HI GAZZA
      Right Garry seeing that the perkasa's has got a wooden skin over the frame work it's not going to take much to sink that, and for the boss eyed gunner we have got him some new glasses. And just think we will be able to record it all on the lap top on to hard drive just so you can watch it later. As for them automatic drop posts have you filled them with explosives just to get the sub as we drive over LOL.

Will have to try and go over to next weeks meet at king Lear's lake  what time are you going, but then again it depends on the weather. It's a bit like taking the sub out it doesn't matter it the sub gets wet of course but all the electronics that have to go with it on the bank side it does it that gets wet it will all go BANG.

Just been putting the video link in today what a pain in the back end that has been, managed to blow a fuse in a regulating circuit ended up taking half the back end of the sub to bits
        All the best John

Gazza

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #435 on: September 30, 2013, 07:27:26 pm »

hmmm time to build a new TX with lcd screen in it  :-))
Now theres an idea for you John

New TX with built in . . . . . . . . EVERY THING  :police:
retired and loving it

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #436 on: October 03, 2013, 07:29:32 pm »

HI Gazza
      Don't fancy building a new TX with LCD screen in it with there being 4 radio links working at one time and trying to build it in to the same box, would be more trouble than it is worth. It would have all sorts of interference going off and would be a night mare trying to stop it. I Have had enough building the new video link and fitting it in the sub at the moment Going to have a break from the sub for a few days, got loads of other stuff to do.
     All the best John

Gazza

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #437 on: November 10, 2013, 12:06:15 am »

there is the new captin of the sub just thought id post the pics as a laf            :D

by the way for anyone who thinks the dragon is a toy i warn you he bites lol he bit me and i had to go to hospital i woke my son after he bit me as i had blood running all down my arm lol hes not like that often just when you go near his female      love struck dragon                 BTW hes 2ft long so you get the idea of the size of the conning tower

GODZILLA. . . . .
retired and loving it

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #438 on: November 10, 2013, 11:10:50 am »

HI GAZZA
       I think the name Godzilla is about right as it felt like that when he bit me, it felt worst afterwards because when they go to bit to kill some thing its like bee stings because they put little bits of venom in to the bit wound to disable there dinner only in this case it was me and i was to big for him to handle HA HA. Plus i had to prize his Jaw open to get him off and they start throwing there head from side to side trying to rip a piece off like a shark would its amazing how strong they are for there size.
       John

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #439 on: November 11, 2013, 02:52:52 pm »

I think the creature would have ended up as a handbag or a pair of gloves after that!

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #440 on: November 11, 2013, 06:45:52 pm »

HI Subculture
    Not the captain of the sub who would sail it then. To be honest Andy he has never bit  any one with intent it was that he saw the other male go for him and my hand was in the way and got me instead, but it did hurt. He will play like a kitten on the floor with you and chase your hand around but his favorite thing to chase is a small teddy bear and then tries to mate with it have got a video of him in action will have to put it on you tube the poor teddy but don't know wheather he will get band for  indecent behaviour on you tube
      John

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #441 on: December 22, 2013, 07:05:16 pm »

HI All
Would like to wish every one a very happy Christmas to you all. The piston tank control unit that i showed on the above link to video of it working the unit has had the PCB board designed for it which is all surface mounted component's, the board size is about 62mm x 40mm and that is with all the H bridge drive circuit the board is double sided which means it has component's on both sides. Seems to work very well, it all so has radio failsafe on it unit will work from 6 to 12 volts. But hopefully the unit will find its way into my big sub which will all end up linked to depth control unit. The printed circuit board that has just been designed could be linked to a wind screen washer pump and be used as a auto leveling device plus it has got quite a few other things it could be used for. The above unit has no relays which can be a pain in the back end and no micro switches it just plugs straight into your RX receiver in your sub .

I am just about to start and build sonar what would be radio control link but the sonar would control your sub instead of what you know as your TX now, all so looking in to putting sonar that will tell you depth of water under the sub and transmit back and tell you on a screen. We will have to see how it all works out.One of the hard things to do is measure the speed of say a model sub traveling under water many problems come in to stopping you from doing this so many different variables but i think i have found a way of how to get around it, will have to see if i can get it to work      Sub John

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #442 on: December 23, 2013, 07:14:40 pm »

You say no micro switches, but what about limit switches, or have you incorporated some sort of current limiting/cut-out?

Also any idea on when this might come to market and a rough idea on price?

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #443 on: December 24, 2013, 06:12:17 pm »

Hi Subculture
        Yes you where right when i put the video up on you tube of the piston tank unit when it was knocked up on vero board, the end stops for the tank was using micro switches but i must say i hate the things but the board has been designed so it can be connected up to hall effect soiled state switches if that is the way some one would sooner go. But when i have sat and thought about it the board is so open to be used for other things as well it makes it quite versatile.

You asked when it would be for sale sorry to say Andy there doesn't seem to be much interest in it or that is the way i seem to have picked it up. I was going to do a video to put up on you tube of it made on PCB and was going to show it working with water switch idea being when you put sub in the water it would switch all the electronics on, water switch works off AC voltage so you don't end up with corroding of the electrodes that would be in the water free flood area. For somebody like your self you probably see the benefits of it  but the way i pick it up people seem to be very stand off ish which is a bit sad, but electronics is progressing and we have to go with it or they will all still be using micro switches in 20 years time
       Sub John

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #444 on: December 24, 2013, 07:17:23 pm »

Think you're a better engineer than a salesman. You are pitching your wares at the wrong audience. I think you would find a more agreeable market for your board in the U.S and other European countries like Germany, France, Spain and Belgium.

Years ago it would have been hard to put word out to the various groups around the globe- no longer the case, as they all have internet presence.

In order to really interest people though, it's important to show a finalized product, and give a price, even if it's an estimate.

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #445 on: December 25, 2013, 05:22:36 pm »

Hi Subculture
       I think you are right I'm a better engineer than a salesman. You said about pitching your wares at the wrong audience but it seems a bit strange if you can not sell your product in the UK but like you said abroad is the way to go if so may be i should do a video of the finished product with a price and put it up on You Tube. What did you think of the water switch idea plus water switch unit will have standby switch and the same switch will give you the ability to test the sub on the bench with out having to put it in the water. Thanks for the interest
      Sub John

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #446 on: December 25, 2013, 06:30:13 pm »

I use one of your water switches. I got it of Richard Huggett as part of a job lot of stuff, most of which I sold on. It's a good idea, saves mucking about with reed switches and magnets.

Regarding the piston tank. here in the UK I think you have to bear a few things in mind, number one, most modellers using piston tanks are using commercial units by either Engel or units from Ron Perrott. One or two have a go at making their own tanks, but it's the exception rather than the rule. generally these units have been purchased as part of a kit, and they come complete with a control system already, one which may be more agricultural than yours, but it works well enough for the purpose. Therefore unlikely to want an upgrade.

In other countries there are more piston tanks in use, with more modellers growing their own tanks, so that gives you more of a market. Noone else to the best of my knowledge has a transistor based tank controller with absolute feedback . There are relay based units, and solid state units with encoder (incremental not absolute) feedback, but the latter can be tricky to track down and may now be unavailable.

In the States the piston tank system has been gaining some ground, and I can think of a few modellers who would be interested in your board.

Strikes me you've done most of the hard work already in developing this board, as you have a working prototype. Not sure how many you hoped to sell, but I think if you were to make a small batch to start with you'd definitely shift them, and I'm willing to help you get a bit of publicity if you can get a board or two assembled for demonstration.

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #447 on: December 26, 2013, 05:23:03 pm »

HI Subculture
        The water switch that you got off Richard was just some thing i did as a one off for one of his boats he was doing. If i remember right the electrodes did not work off AC for the water sensors not like the new one. You said that the water switch was a good idea, i must admit it does save a lot of messing about trying to switch the sub on before putting it in to the water.I Will have to do a video of piston tank with water switch connected to piston tank as well as to BEC circuit to switch on RX, plus unit will switch on main battery feed to speed controllers or what ever. You said that a lot of people in the UK get  some sort of control board to work there piston tanks trouble is Andy using relays on control boards for piston tanks is not the way to go its just a cheap solution to a problem when it comes to back EMF from motors relay contacts tend to burn together. I should imagine on a lot of relay control boards there is  build in to the circuit  board delay times for switching relays to try to stop relays from burning out, but it comes to horses for courses as there is different was to go about this. On the video that i put up of the piston tank working what did you think to it, if you noticed on the video i really gave it some stick going backwards and forwards trying to blow it up but it does seem to be-able to take it.

You said that in the States people might be interested, in the tank control board its nice to get some feed back on your thoughts about it. Thanks for the offer in trying to get some publicity, will have to get a couple of boards built up for demonstration
     Sub John 

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #448 on: December 26, 2013, 06:16:42 pm »

The video looked good, nice smooth control, and no oscillation around the set point like I've seen on some other designs, which suggests to me that you've done some work on the code to damp the response of the motor as it gets close to the required spot.

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #449 on: January 19, 2014, 05:18:18 pm »

HI GUYS
      Just a up date on wireless fish finder have been playing about the last couple of days with the sonar head that will be in the bottom of the sub, what this will do is give you depth of water under the keel to the bottom of the lake will be able to see contour of the lake bottom which will be transmitted back to the bank side, it will work on high frequency but when sub submerges will switch to low frequency so you will be able to see what is under the sub as i don't won't to run aground on some mud bank or what ever it is should be able to see a car on the bottom of lake lol.
      Would like to say many thanks to Mike at Horizon Fish Finders very helpfull guy it will be interesting to see how it all works out as it is starting to look good
       Sub John
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25   Go Up

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 21 queries.