Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25]   Go Down

Author Topic: My 12 foot Gato class submarine!  (Read 249925 times)

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
Re: My 12 foot Gato class submarine!
« Reply #600 on: May 16, 2022, 12:14:30 am »

Hi Salmon
     Glad you find it interesting i think i have just about got Jonathan pulling his hair out 

Catch you soon John

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #601 on: May 17, 2022, 08:08:37 am »

Found this picture of sub john's 12 foot Gato sub - it shows the scale of the scratch build now 30 odd years old...

What is doesn't show is the amazing "whistles, bells and kitchen sink" that are contained inside.

sub john is currently working on a sonar | lidar | radar project - one of them hopefully will work if not all three...

I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #602 on: August 13, 2022, 03:03:02 pm »

HI Jonathan
    Just a bit of a up date on the sonar, have got the sonar head to work under water in the bath sending back distance to LCD screen. People have said that you cannot get it to work in a bath or a tub of water but it can be done it does work but what a pain in the neck it has been. Car parking sensor board that i have used is AJ-SRO4M only had to add 1 componant to the board to get it to work but once moded the board will not work in air but it now works in water which is what i won't for the sonar i can now see the light at the end of the tunnel
                   All the best John

ScottW

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #603 on: August 13, 2022, 11:41:17 pm »

Cool stuff. Very cool stuff.
 8)
But mostly ...
I'm thinking ...
Imagine the rubber band you could put in that thing and the winder you'd need for it ... :} ;)
"If it is something that you can make use of, that's a bonus, but the real value is in the creation." Steve Bennett; Sidelines

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #604 on: October 08, 2022, 05:40:13 pm »

HI Scott
     I think you would need a very big rubber band to power this

Glad you liked it    John

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #605 on: October 08, 2022, 05:48:24 pm »

HI GUYS
     Just a bit of a up date, just fitted in to periscope a very small video camera colour but must confess doing this i wrote off 4 cameras being only 5mm square and having big hands
  and trying to make it look like a periscope it's not easy, and having to make it water proof made it even harder. Plus the other periscope was turned it to antenner for sending back video picture
  so i now have 2 video links, video transmitter is in the bottom of the periscope shear but when you see the picture coming back through the periscope it makes it all worth while doing it

Sorry to say i cannot post any pictures as i can not post pictures on mayhem
                                     All the best John

ScottW

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #606 on: October 08, 2022, 06:36:33 pm »

but must confess doing this i wrote off 4 cameras being only 5mm square and having big hands
Aww man! But cool end result.
"If it is something that you can make use of, that's a bonus, but the real value is in the creation." Steve Bennett; Sidelines

16-21

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #607 on: October 08, 2022, 09:20:26 pm »

Cracking model John.
I’ve just picked up an Engel Gato and started stripping it down
Major re work ahead planning on using a cylinder,
Retaining the piston tanks and changing the taes system to the unipro 12V
unless you have plans to start selling control boards…
I’ve been reading through your Engel thread, very helpful indeed I was curious as to were you managed to get the
Weld line plan? I did see someone use the revell Gato and scale up from there but surely there is a cheaper alternative?
One thing that’s trashed is the rear hydroplane control arm/lever would you have any thoughts on a solid option for fixing this?
Thanks

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #608 on: October 09, 2022, 04:42:41 pm »

HI Scott
     yes it is a cool result its been switched on all afternoon in the garden with the periscopes tranmitting video upstairs in my work shop, another bit of old tat up and working seems to work well
                                     All the best John

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #609 on: October 09, 2022, 05:00:24 pm »

HI 16-21
         Fine on picking up Engel Gato they do make a nice sub, just from my point of view
i would stick to the box area that comes with the kit meaning wear the hatches are the sub will end up more stable than useing a tube
but some do like to use the tube each to there own i did'nt use a tube in the big gato and would'nt like to have used one

Regaurding drive boards for piston tanks have thought about making them but don't know if there is a big enough market,
i have used these for about 5 years in small Gato and have never had to do anything to it so as a working unit it' been well tested
sub and would not be a problem to make. They are solid state and dare i say no relays i hate the things

In small Engel Gato i used for linkages  sullivan GOLD-N-ROD these are control rods for model planes and are semiflexible and you
can work them around bits in the sub to go where you won't and you don't have to worry about them shorting on any thing because
 they are made of plastic it there good enough for a plane they are good enough for a model submarine.
              Thanks for interest all the best John

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #610 on: October 10, 2022, 10:41:06 am »

I’d say any release of solid state drive boards for Engel/piston tanks would have to be done from a spirit of altruism, as the potential market is small and probably shrinking year on year.

I’m aware that making boards in order to make any money requires purchase of components at scale. Perhaps a compromise would be to use a readymade H bridge, leaving just the microcontroller and firmware as the bespoke items. Or perhaps just offer a pre-programmed microcontroller which could be inserted into a diy pcb or a circuit built up on stripboard.

timgarrod

• Full Mayhemer
    • Alvaston Pirates Model Boat Club
« Reply #611 on: October 10, 2022, 09:21:24 pm »

Spot the camera

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #612 on: October 10, 2022, 09:42:08 pm »

Hi Tim
   Thanks for posting picture, will give you a ring in a bit   John

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #613 on: October 10, 2022, 09:55:23 pm »

HI Subculture
    Because the market is so small for model submarines that's why i have stayed away from making bits and bobs i just don't think it would be worth it. And making small numbers of boards it would not be worth it,it would not be worth programming pics for people to make there own board. And like i have said before i would not give the circuit diagram away for people to make. The H-bridge that is on the board for the tank control board was designed for the job and plus it now works off in-fa red cut outs for the end stops for the tanks to take the place of micro switches. I think most people would find it hard for people to make as the unit is all surface mounted components.
      John

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #614 on: April 14, 2023, 09:43:02 pm »

HI ALL
     Have been working on fet speed controller useing arduino -IBT-2 which is a H bridge fet drive module, have had this running on the bench at 24amps for about 1 hour connected up to software on a pic. You will beable to have from center stick to full forward and full reverse at 100%, it will learn center stick and learn what is full reverse and forward and store it in eprom memory untill you decide to change it again. It will beable to do a max volts i think is 42 volts but will do alot more than 24 amps has got over heat shut down for the H bridge under voltage shut down, so you can not blow the fets on the H bridge.

The IBT-2 ARDUINO on the board that you buy does'nt get rid of heat from the fets to the heat sink very well would beable to use this for driving piston tanks and alsorts of things including driving a pizo sensor for driving link under water useing sonar will have to see where it goes. I am working on sonar now for controlling the sub it does get interesting

All the best Sub John   

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #615 on: April 15, 2023, 10:57:12 am »

Hi John,

Hope all well with you....

Sounds like you have been busy pushing forward with your developments.

Some of the detail goes over my head - interested in what you are doing with sonar...

Have you got something actually working with Sonar underwater? Are you using a fishfinder or something?

Regards
C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #616 on: April 16, 2023, 05:22:03 pm »

HI Jonathan

Seem to be getting over the dreaded covid hope things have been ok with you and the wife. Quite a while ago i did buy some high powered 40khz pizo sensors just to build sonic link to control the big sub under water, beauty about useing sonic at say 40 khz it will work in salt water some of the sonic heads in company built fish finders the sonic head can be at around close to 200v. I am on doing building blocks at the moment to get it all to work but i won't to make the TX side of it to be crystal locked so it won't drift off frequency, not making it from fishfinder all been done from scratch built will have to see how it turns out trouble is alot of this stuff takes time to do when doing it from scratch.  How have you been getting on with your 27mhz link hope its going well

Thanks for reply John
 PS  catch you soon

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #617 on: February 05, 2024, 12:52:47 am »

Hi all

Sorry to say but i lost my monitor reptile lost him to cancer and had to have him put to sleep very sad so it had put me off doing any thing for a while but i have been playing about with sonar for under water. Working the same as digital proportional radio control but only for under water this means no matter what water you put this in weather it be fresh water or salt water it will work and you will be-able to control the sub as if it was on 40mhz. The symptom will be-able to if need be knack out 60 watts from the TX transducer its well on the way to a working system, have had it transmitting code in the work shop using 40khz, Unit does not use software it is all done using cmos chips and up amps

This will open up a hole new way of controlling your sub
                             All the best Sub John

salmon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #618 on: February 05, 2024, 07:15:05 pm »

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. My condolences.
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #619 on: February 05, 2024, 08:22:10 pm »

I don't understand reptiles as pets .... but we all understand loosing of a good friend.

....  Sorry for you loss   :((
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #620 on: February 20, 2024, 08:44:23 pm »

HI Martin and salmon
      Thanks for the condolences, it cost altogether about £10.500 and still ended up losing him like i said it was so sad to see him end up like that
 But could not see him suffer
                   Thanks again John
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 22 queries.