Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 25   Go Down

Author Topic: My 12 foot Gato class submarine!  (Read 248445 times)

sub john

Re: 12 foot gato class submarine video
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2011, 03:27:15 pm »

Reply #49
HI MIKE, Compass unit for on screen display on video and that connects to auto pilot has no moving parts, the only moving part will be the servo operating the rudder to keep the sub on course and also has no spinning disks for encoding its all done on micro chip
           JOHN

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2011, 07:25:45 pm »

You can purchase magnetic compass chips which you can interface with a microcontroller. e.g. http://www.sparkfun.com/categories/83

They get a bit expensive if you require tilt compensation.

silent running556

« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2011, 07:35:31 pm »

Would something so heavy be able to operate properly?  A quarter of a tonne + sounds alot for a radio controlled model. Have you thought about torpedors at all?

philk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2011, 07:57:22 pm »

Would something so heavy be able to operate properly?  A quarter of a tonne + sounds alot for a radio controlled model. Have you thought about torpedors at all?

being heavy just makes it more realistic it will function more like the full size than a small model

phil

sub john

« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2011, 08:08:55 pm »

Reply #52
 HI Silent running 556, Yes the sub does weigh over 500 pounds but the bigger the model gets the more stable it will become last time i tried the sub it was a long time ago and i was ploughing through about 14inch waves and it was so stable in the water i can still see the spray coming off the conning tower now yes i have already made the first torpedo 20 years ago but never put it in
     All the best John

sub john

« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2011, 08:13:48 pm »

Reply# 53
 HI Phil, you are spot on the bigger they get the better they become and more realistic to plus the more stuff you can pack in thanks  for your comments
   ALL THE BEST JOHN

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2011, 08:31:22 am »

That has got to be one of the most impressive bits of model boat engineering and ingenuity I've ever seen!

I second that Martin, I'm still sitting here with my mouth hanging open   %%

John you are in a league of your own sir  O0

Mike

MikeA

« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2011, 09:52:52 am »

do you think youl have another go at crossing the channel john?

Patrick Henry

« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2011, 10:44:14 am »

Oh lordy...don't start him off on THAT again! There is no way I'm riding shotgun in a rubber dingy across the English Channel...no way!

MikeA

« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2011, 11:25:01 am »

get sum tugboats to tow ya  :-))

Patrick Henry

« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2011, 11:41:24 am »

The Gato can do the towing, it's more than powerful enough.

(I'll be the one on the cross channel ferry waving...)

sub john

« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2011, 11:52:48 am »

Reply #58
HI Richard, Don't be a spoil sport you go in dingy and i will dive  dive dive  not really
           John

sub john

« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2011, 12:10:17 pm »

Reply #56
 HI Mike k, thanks for the comments on the sub but to me it doesn't seem impressive as i see it in the garage ever day  thats where i do my modeling and a room in the house for the electronics, if  i didn't stop doing subs 20 years ago it makes you wonder where it would all be now. Mike the reason why i stopped doing subs 20 years ago was i got up early one Saturday morning  and was down Charnwood waters at about 6.30AM had just got the sub on the water when people came flocking from every where as if that was not enough a dog then jumped in the water and started to chase the sub, i turned the sub around and the owner went mad at me but it was ok for the dog to come after me, then a swan came over the lake and tried to land on the sub  and to put the top hat on it students started to throw stone at the sub that p----- me off big time so i went round to sort them out but they  backed off. When Pauline came to pick me up with sub i said thats it I'm never coming out again to sail it and i haven't  spent 18 years in trailer locked up thanks for interest
   All the best John

MikeA

« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2011, 01:32:49 pm »

i know what you mean. people like that are all over my area. people who have to ruin things for other people because they have nothin better to do.

anyway john you wont appreciate the sub you built it  :-)) to everyone else though its marvelous like the pierre scerri ferrari. tell you somethin though there are people out their would sail your sub and would offer several K for it.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2011, 01:39:25 pm »

Thanks for the reply John,  the thought that this lovely model dates back some twenty years makes it even more mind boggling ! I would hope that conditions at the lake would have changed for the better but on second thoughts peoples' dogs are no better, swans are still a pain in the fundamentals and students are still as daft as ever - despite yet another record year telling us that they are getting brainier, what's that all about ?

The proverbial hat remains raised to you  O0

Mike

sub john

« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2011, 03:11:55 pm »

Reply#64
 HI Mike, Don't no about students getting brighter all i see them doing is drinking loads of booze and getting drunk, it is a shame the it has spent the last 18 years in the trailer have got loads of new ideas on stuff to go in the sub, worked in RF electronics also industrial power control for big big gens also worked in digital electronics, for many years have got a good mechanical back ground all works side by side. Mike there is quite a few people that has said the same thing as you when you think this has all been done 20 years ago. One of the things that i am surprised at radio for model subs under water hasn't changed in the last 30 years,  Mike when you clicked on submarines have a look at possibilities under mad Mike think i came in on 2nd page have a look
   All the best John

sub john

« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2011, 03:18:25 pm »

Reply #63
HI Mike, Mike i fly model plane a lot and i get the same trouble with that no matter where you go there is always someone trying to spoil it don't no weather anybody would buy sub or if i would even sell it, its still a bit of old tat that i was once going to saw up.
 John

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2011, 06:00:45 pm »

Hi John, just did as you suggested and went on Mad Mike's posting -  didn't realize that you were not alone, but a member of a parallel universe of model submariners who know magic things us stick and rag people cannot begin to understand  %%
I was at Sandown Model exhibition many years ago and happened to be watching the model subs pool and who should be next to me but Michael Bentine who I found out then was a member of that society. Somehow seems apt !

Best regards

Mike

sub john

« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2011, 06:39:08 pm »

Reply#67
HI Mike, Fine on meeting Micheal Bentine, i was at model engineer exhibition many years ago had small sub in the pool and i had Bob signs the guy that used to be on tomorrows world TV program don't no weather you can remember it or not he came up to me and said how well my sub worked very nice guy he had a lot to do with patents
     John

MikeA

« Reply #69 on: August 28, 2011, 06:43:19 pm »

this sub john to the rest of us is like the pinnacle holy grail of modern marine modeling. to put it bluntly even though its 20 years old it takes the p*** out everything else water born, a sub like that is what us normal moddelers dream of making when we do our if only's! if it had enough coverage on you tube and of it working to its maximum pontential on the lake, camera footage, torpedoes the lot. People with more money than brains would twist ya arm to buy it. i can speak for many that we are on the edge of our seats!!

sub john

« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2011, 07:00:06 pm »

Reply #69
HI Mad Mike, I don't no what to say it is very much appreshated your  comments about the sub i think i made a big mistake leaving it 20 years ago but these things do happen for a reason. Your other question was will i ever take it across the channel don't no it will cost a lot of money to set up and do it which i can not afford it may be one day. A friend of mine came around to see me as he wonted me to sort out some 2.4 ghz radio for him but he only knows me from where i go flying i had got the sub switched on in the garage had been working on it and when he saw it in the garage he couldn't believe it. I suppose it must look impressive the first time you see it  another time i remember is when my son and i got the sub out of the trailer a few weeks later after i had been working on it my son said where do you start to make something like this my reply was at the beginning
 John

sub john

« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2011, 07:14:43 pm »

Reply#70
  HI Mad Mike What i haven't told you is that Pauline my other half did the spray job on the sub for me, and the gold medal that i took at the model engineer exhibition was hers for doing the spraying on the sub and i have never seen it since i don't think that is good enough she should give it back what do you say  i cannot repeat what she said to me
    All the best John

MikeA

« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2011, 08:05:24 pm »

what give the medal back? why?

silent running556

« Reply #73 on: August 29, 2011, 02:26:31 pm »

Reply# 53
 HI Phil, you are spot on the bigger they get the better they become and more realistic to plus the more stuff you can pack in thanks  for your comments
   ALL THE BEST JOHN
So would you recommend shoving a grand piano or two in my U boat? :}

sub john

« Reply #74 on: August 29, 2011, 02:48:58 pm »

Reply #73
HI Silent running 556, unless you have got a full size u boat then i don't think it would fit and then i think you would struggle to get them in
        JOHN
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 25   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.