Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 25   Go Down

Author Topic: My 12 foot Gato class submarine!  (Read 248416 times)

MikeA

Re: 12 foot gato class submarine video
« Reply #150 on: October 12, 2011, 07:10:35 pm »

it will have to wait. i could possibly send you the one i have it might work on your pc.

sub john

« Reply #151 on: October 13, 2011, 11:35:49 pm »

hi mike key fob ring if you want to send it to me   ill leave it up to you you can allways pm me

this is a pic of TX unit for video link for low frequency to go in the sub

this is a pic of the receiver what works on 1249 MHz but i have change  it so it will work on low frequency for receiving the video from the submarine as well

MikeA

« Reply #152 on: October 14, 2011, 10:20:35 am »

very exciting this is. did you have video link working before?

sub john

« Reply #153 on: October 16, 2011, 06:44:37 pm »

Reply#152
   HI Mike  Yes i did have video link in sub before, that was on high frequency which was in radio ham bands 70cms but this one is a lot lower in frequency and will get through the water a lot better  unit is knocking out about 6 watts of RF  which is quite a decent power level, but can make it a lot higher if i need to
   John

MikeA

« Reply #154 on: November 15, 2011, 12:40:47 pm »

hows the sub coming along?

sub john

« Reply #155 on: November 15, 2011, 09:29:07 pm »

REPLY #154
   HI Mike sent you a private pm, you asked how sub was coming along have spent most of the time doing low frequency video  link for under water but seem to be having problems with this one. I have made Ariel's for going under water decided to go down the canal and put transmitting Ariel in the water sending video out and put receiver Ariel in the water about 50ft apart and was only just getting a picture can not understand why it is not alot better than it is, would of expected a lot more range than it was  think i might no what is going wrong. What i plan to do now is take transmitting Ariel for under water for 27MHZ plug it into transmitter for controlling sub take RX CB radio out of sub and take that down the canal and test to see what range i get with these as i know  these units  work and by testing these under water will give me a base line to work with as i can test these out of the water as well as in the water, will end up taking a load of gear down the canal but i will know if it works or not and by doing it this way will find out what i need to know.

All the best John

MikeA

« Reply #156 on: November 15, 2011, 11:19:09 pm »

i did wonder what was happening  :-)) good luck with that.

sub john

« Reply #157 on: November 16, 2011, 02:10:48 pm »

hi mike in pm message you asked about speed controllers the two pics are of a brushless speed controller that i made about three years ago i got the software and the board layouts and also the circuit diagrams from some guy in germany he was really helpfull you can also plug the speed controller in to the pc and alter all the parameters    voltage , timing and so on it works really well will run at about 1500 watts at 21 volts

mike Ive put this on to show you one of the big electric plains i fly its an f3a pattern ship pulling 3400 watts at 42 volts 10 lipo cells no it wont go under water  <:(

MikeA

« Reply #158 on: November 16, 2011, 03:28:36 pm »

what aabout a brushed one?

why did you try your plane under water ?!?!

sub john

« Reply #159 on: November 16, 2011, 06:25:54 pm »

Reply#158
HI Mike Can not under stand why plane would not work under water, may be i should have took the wings off.

Now being serious yes i have got circuit diagrams for brushed speed controllers have got circuits for just forward speed controllers and software and have also got circuit diagrams for speed controllers for forward and reverse, what sort of size do you won't to make it, if you need a pic programmed to work in speed controller i can program it for you if you can not do it, by using software it makes the speed controller a lot smaller, as you do not have to use other  c
chips to get it all to work. Do you won't speed controller to have bec circuit for running radio in boat or what ever

in pic of plane that is the other half have been teaching her to fly but she wont's  to fly the  big pattern ship but she has got  no chance

MikeA

« Reply #160 on: November 16, 2011, 06:57:56 pm »

you do get planes that work underwater there called aquaplanes  %% :embarrassed: sorry

anyway. I would like the speed controller to be very basic. I would also like a bec if possible. all i want it to do is go forwards ands backwards with a linear style thottle. dont need a break or anything. I want to be able to make them very cheaply out of sourced or bought parts.

whats a pic? what does it do?

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #161 on: November 16, 2011, 08:27:55 pm »

You can purchase excellent ready made brushed ESC's for very little these days. I use these, and they're superb-

http://microgyros.com/speed-control-setup.html

It's difficult to beat that price if you're DIY-ing, and it probably won't be as compact unless you make it with SMD components. If you want to build one as a learning exercise, then go for it, but if you're doing it in an effort to save cash, then you'll find it's a false economy.

MikeA

« Reply #162 on: November 16, 2011, 09:16:20 pm »

well as it is i buy my esc's second hand on ebay. I won an apex square the other day for £6.67
http://www.walkera-helicopters.com/shop/apex-electronic-speed-controller-apex-square-forward-reverse-p-6986.html

its a car esc but it will do. just need to make it water resitant

Davy1

« Reply #163 on: November 17, 2011, 12:41:41 pm »

Mad Mike asked what a pic is. Some info and links for pics in model submarines below:

http://www.theassociationofmodelsubmariners.com/t375-pic-microprocessors

David

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #164 on: November 17, 2011, 02:28:25 pm »

I would really recommend having a look at Picaxe microcontrollers.

http://www.picaxe.com/What-Is-PICAXE

You program these in high level 'BASIC' which is lot easier to get to grips with.

Many of the routines built in are geared towards R/C, e.g. measuring receiver pulses and controlling servos have dedicated commands

The documentation for these controllers is excellent, with all the routines/commands well explained, with code examples. there is a free to download simulator, so you can check your code before flahing it to the chip. Also they have a great users forum, with really helpful and knowledgeable people.

The prices of the chips are roughly the same as conventional PIC microcontrollers, the penalty you pay over conventional PIC chips programmed in assembler, is speed. IF your goal is to build a leveller or perhaps a brushless ESC, then assembler may still be necessary.

However for the majority of applications you won't notice the difference, and the Picaxe chips are improving all the time, some of the latest models clock at 64mhz.

MikeA

« Reply #165 on: November 17, 2011, 02:53:22 pm »

sounds interesting. its all new to me though im afraid as far as my electrical abilities go i can wire up a bulb and thats it. I have a lot of learning to do yet and dont have a clue what i need. I have recently just learnt what a mosfet is and how they play a role in esc's and i realise theres a PWM involved i think.

Davy1

« Reply #166 on: November 17, 2011, 04:07:48 pm »

The question Mad Mike was asking was "What are pics" hence the link. (I take it you don't want to develop your own software, Mike. Though it can be an absorbing hobby.)
PICAXE has it's place , Andy and I've seen you recommend it before now.
What completed projects have you used PICAXE for, thus far?

David

MikeA

« Reply #167 on: November 17, 2011, 04:55:29 pm »

you are quite right davy. i was hoping just to be able to bash one togeather ive seen some simple forward only ones using a servo and that looked easy enough so i thought how hard can it be to make it reverse too. after all krishna has done it.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #168 on: November 17, 2011, 06:27:09 pm »

Here's a board I made up (shown in barebones before I heatshrinked it up) for controlling up to four servos in various sequences for a fully articulated fish.

The processor is a Picaxe 28X2 interfaced via serial link to the DS-SCX8S-O, which is a servo controller. The Picaxe takes the R/C signal from two channels of the receiver and maps them via control tables to control the servos in a various modulations to get the wave motion.

I've also interfaced a Picaxe with Somo14D sound player so the Yellow Submarine can play the Beatles back catalogue.

I recommend Picaxe because I think they're an excellent way to get started, and for most people will be all they ever need.

sub john

« Reply #169 on: November 17, 2011, 09:24:53 pm »

HI Mike
You asked what pics where but seeing that Davy 1 has put up a link on how a pic works you will find out what you won't to know from that. It is right what subculture said to build one is a false economy it can get quite expensive buying components unless it is a speed controller that has to be purpose built like for that big sub of mine it would be better for you to buy one and cheaper but if you won't to learn then to make one is the best way to go. You said that you had seen a speed controller made from a servo amp board and i think you said it was just forward speed but it would be fairly easy to make it so it would go forward and reverse a lot of the new servos digital  have pics on the amp board as many years ago some of the servos chips like NE544 or ZN409CE both of these could be made into soiled state speed controllers a lot of the electronics in that big sub of mine was based on NE544 brill servo amp what i couldn't do with that was not worth knowing but sadly no longer made, but you can still get them off ebay. If you still won't to have a go at making a speed controller let me know
   john

MikeA

« Reply #170 on: November 17, 2011, 10:25:01 pm »

heres a link to build a esc from a servo. it has no reverse though. do you think this could be modded to have reverse too?

http://trebor69.tripod.com/speedcnt.html

MikeA

« Reply #171 on: November 17, 2011, 10:47:22 pm »

Theres a lot of cheap esc's out there especially chinese ones like these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280726341886?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2648

and even this ones fairly cheap and its not a bad make.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HPI-Jolt-R-Micro-Speed-Controller-ESC-30amp-101669-/260814359971?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item3cb9bf4da3

I thought that if i couldnt make one from scratch i could also then modyfy these esc's too with more mosfets or something. I dont know what can be done.

sub john

« Reply #172 on: November 17, 2011, 10:56:21 pm »

HI MIKE

yes it can be modded to have reverse to on speed controller

MikeA

« Reply #173 on: November 17, 2011, 11:04:35 pm »

what would  it need doing to it? modding an old servo amp with a mosfet wouldnt be expensive i would have thought. people on ebay sell clapped out old servos in there dozens.

Davy1

« Reply #174 on: November 18, 2011, 12:55:08 pm »

Thanks Andy,

Yes, I remember collaborating with you on the "Fish" years ago. (I developed a programmed PIC for you, as I recall.)

Did the Fish ever actually get into the water?

David

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 25   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.