Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: My 12 foot Gato class submarine!  (Read 248421 times)

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 12 foot gato class submarine video
« Reply #350 on: May 07, 2012, 09:54:19 pm »

HI ED
     Reply to question 1,    Compass works as far as i have took it at the moment compass headings will be over lay on video picture coming back from the sub got to finish auto pilot part, will all so be linked to GPS unit so you can set way points

Reply to 2,        Again depth will be shown on video picture coming back from sub.

Reply 3,             Same thing speed will be over lay on video picture .

Thanks for interest in sub what you will be able to do when receiving GPS signal you will be able to see on laptop sub on route where it is, if you programmed in to GPS unit way points it will travel a preset course unless it hits some thing in the water
     Sub John

Ramius

• Shipmate
« Reply #351 on: May 07, 2012, 10:17:40 pm »

Hi John!
Good to hear from you! If you need support with your On Screen Display please feel free to ask. I work for 20th Century Fox Television and am very familiar with OSD's. As for a compass, I developed one years ago and the accuracy is said to be 1/10 of 1 degree. You can find it at http://www.robsonco.com/Dinsmore/Untitled_5.html. Just finished a depth sensor good to 1/2" (1.2 cm) link would be: http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=16457. My interest right now is a speed sensor and there are so many variations I thought maybe you would not mind sharing what you are using? Of course you have a lot more room than my 1:96 scale Typhoon and still it would be interesting which approach you are using. I thought about GPS however, GPS does not work underwater. Thanks, Ed

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #352 on: May 08, 2012, 06:50:43 pm »

HI ED
  Thanks for offer of help with OSD, do you know of any OSD unit that you can display 4 separate screens on one screen as it would be useful , all so if you know of OSD unit that can display say text warning on the screen it would be helpfull

Had a look at websites you posted looks interesting ran out of time last night but will have another look later on.

OSD unit that i am using at the minute will display speed in MPH or KM logic in put on pic is there for it to work but haven't made sensor yet have got a few ideas on making sensor just been to busy with so many other bits haven't got around to it yet .

Yes you are right GPS units will not work under water, when they design these GPS units they chose a frequency even as though it was high frequency these two bands that they use are less sensitive to cloud mass than other frequency's  to use as down link's
    Sub John

Ramius

• Shipmate
« Reply #353 on: May 08, 2012, 07:56:27 pm »

Hi John!
If you wish please feel free to e-mail me directly at edcannady@earthlink.net if you wish to share your speed sensor ideas. I have done some research and looked at several different methods. As for 4 screens on 1, the device you are asking about is called a "quad split" and typically found on sites that sell security equipment such as "Super Circuits". While you are on the Super Circuits site, check out the "Snake Camera"! There are 2 versions, one of which is high resolution and the best part is that the are only 1/2" (1.2 cm) square! I use one for my video periscope which uses lenses that are only 3 mm in diameter. Best, Ed

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #354 on: May 09, 2012, 09:41:09 pm »

HI ED
     Thanks for info to link for cameras some interesting bits on there was not sure wheather cameras are PAL or NTSC FORMAT for video out sounds interesting camera that you have fitted in to periscope, going back to splitting one video picture in to 4 screens was looking for some thing small, i have got one but it is to big to go inside of sub, have sent you EMAIL
    All the best Sub John

Ramius

• Shipmate
« Reply #355 on: May 10, 2012, 02:52:14 am »

Hi John, I believe they are mostly NTSC (Never Twice the Same Color). I will be looking for your e-mail rather than taking up everyones time here. It is possible to reduce the size of the quad split unit you have. A picture of the inside would be the most help. Best, Ed

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #356 on: May 14, 2012, 09:18:15 pm »

HI ED
       Sent you 2 emails not sure if i have got some thing wrong with my hot mail since Micro soft latest up grades. Have you got some pictures of camera in periscope would be interested to see it, have you got another email address i can try. Have not took the cover off quad split unit to see if i can get it a lot smaller used to use it a lot on radio ham bands mainly on fast scan TV 23CMS
               Sub John

Ramius

• Shipmate
« Reply #357 on: May 19, 2012, 12:10:19 pm »

Hi John!
Been looking for an e-mail from you and nothing yet  {:-{ If you wish you can send me a message on this site with your e-mail and I will send you an e-mail you can just reply to. Basically what I did was take the "snake camera" and point it up a tube so as not to have to use a second mirror so the tube can be turned almost 180 degrees. If I had had to use a second mirror the base would have been very big and almost impossible to turn. Since the camera is looking at onle one mirror you have to flip the picture otherwise everything would be reversed, a mirror image. To flip the picture you use a "dove prism" which flips things left to right and not up and down (unless you install it incorrectly) ok2 . To columnize the light down the tube a lens type known as an "acromat lens" is used. The 45 degree mirror at the top of the tube is called a "first surface" mirror as the silver coating is on the outside of the glass and not behind it. Best, Ed

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #358 on: May 24, 2012, 10:05:03 pm »

HI ED
          I have not been around for a few days have had a problem with broad band but seems to be OK now, had sent you two emails but you must not have received them for some reason but it has all so happened to two other emails as well to other people. Looked in to putting camera in to periscope many years ago but cameras 20 years ago where quite big, i brought a CCD camera black and white to fit in the sub and it cost me about £485.00 which was a lot of money at the time, have not long changed the camera to a colour unit and that was only £18.00 and the picture is very good and of course is a lot smaller which makes it a lot easier to fit in a periscope.   Sounds interesting about dove prism which flips things from left to right not up and down, have not seen any thing like that before. What sort of size is it i suppose it must be small to get it in to periscope

Have been messing about trying to find out where this twitching is coming from in side of this sub of mine have spent around 2 weeks believe it or not as soon as i took the sub on to the front of the house it stopped so it is picking some thing from inside the garage. There is a unit inside the garage that pumps up my mast for my radio ham antennas in side of it there is a switch mode power supply and it was picking up noise from that as well what a pain
        All the best Sub John  PS have sent you a personal message

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #359 on: June 01, 2012, 10:24:26 pm »

HI ED
       I have sent you two more emails but for some reason they just don't seem to be getting through but they don't bounce back from the post master don't know what is going off with it can not find a problem with my hotmail.
   I said in one of the posts on hear i was having problems with twitching on radio control side of the sub decided to build a new decoder for the radio control side of the sub changed quite a few other bits as well but no matter what i did problem was still there even modded new CB radio to go in side all so fitted crystal filters guess what it was still there it was all so coming through on LF radio link , have checked radio control transmitter for sub that was working fine so decided to build another decoder in to the other CB that had been took out of the sub idea being could plug servos into it and take the hole lot over to a air field where i go flying my planes on. Took it all over there to try  and guess what it works fine so it is some thing around where i live that is coursing the problem but what i don't know yet, but if i put all the stuff that i tested to night down the field that works fine in the garage on top of the sub that does the same thing TWITCHING in the back ground but all controlls work fine what a pain in the neck. I new i should have took the jigsaw cutter to the thing and put it down the tip LOL it's enough to make you won't to spit feathers
  All the best Sub John

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #360 on: June 21, 2012, 10:45:57 am »

found this picture of the sub from 1993 was taken down charnwood waters in loughborough just thought id post it up

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #361 on: June 22, 2012, 02:06:59 am »

whats happenin john have you figured out the glitching?

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #362 on: June 22, 2012, 10:53:47 pm »

HI Mike
    Took all the radio gear over to air field to where i go flying to see if there was any glitching and it all worked fine so what ever is happening it has to be in the garage coming off mains cables, trouble is to day there is so much digital data and so on being sent down mains cables if you are connected to the sub station you could be picking some thing up from two streets away. I was talking to one of the engineers  from virgin and could not believe what frequency's they are using sending down coax cables all sorts of different frequency's we have one of the distribution boxes just a couple of houses up the road it could be coming from that, but as far as testing radio gear for sub lets put it like this Pauline was sat in the car with antenna on the car roof with all transmitting gear inside and i walk away 1/4 of a mile away sat under a tree with receiving antenna which was a piece of wire just laid on the floor and signal on receiver was end stopped so i would say that worked OK i don't think you could get much better than that.

Have got low frequency antenna in sub now but have fitted it under the deck, antenna is just over 30FT long which has to be that length to work under water hopefully
                             John

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #363 on: July 09, 2012, 09:11:26 pm »

HI ALL
      Just a up grade with progress on sub my son and I have been busy doing the trailer for the sub to go in to even the job on the trailer has been a pain in the neck all that is left to do is put the new number plate on the trailer and then will be ready to take the sub out for trials, so lets hope the weather picks up. As the lake where i won't to take it is all flooded and all so suffering from weeds but it will take some pretty strong weeds to stop this
     John

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #364 on: July 09, 2012, 10:09:39 pm »

sounds promising have you got the live footage link working and the onscreen telemetry?

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #365 on: July 10, 2012, 11:39:15 am »

hi mike
i have got most of the on screen display to work but i haven't put it in the sub yet as i wont to try the boat before i put eney more electronic bits in.          but have a look at these pictures of some other telemetry units that i have been working on with my friend Phil who has done the software for it.    this telemetry units has two way radio link unit will fit in model plane or boat etc all parameters can be changed in flight from the ground from the screen     change voltage warnings and temps of diffrent parts of the model unit is designed for lipo cells

john

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #366 on: August 31, 2012, 11:10:30 pm »

HI Guys
       With a bit of luck i will be taking the sub out tomorrow to do some sea trials first time in about 20 years, will need to do some final trimming of the sub when submerged hope fully it will not take to long to get the job done. Not been able to go out  before this year because of weeds every where over the lake.
        Lets just hope it turns out to be a nice day so i can do some videoing of the sub in the water will post up on you tube
     All the best John

salmon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #367 on: September 01, 2012, 02:19:25 am »

I can't wait to see this! May the winds be at your back!
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #368 on: September 08, 2012, 07:11:18 pm »

HI Salmon
      Took sub out to try and what a day it turned out to be the sub was in and out the water about 4 time, when the sub was put in the water the first time it sat on its decks on the water surface it was to heavy can not under stand how it has worked out to be to heavy i had a look on yuasa UK website to find out the weight of the old battery's compared to the new ones it worked out i needed just under 3LB at the front and just over 4LB in the back what should have brought it up to the old weight of the sub with old battery's fitted. I ended up having to take 17 LB of lead out of the front and back of the sub but it was still sitting low at the back of the sub as i could not do any more at the lake we had to come home to get more weight out. Have taken out about 22 LBS of lead now can not under stand it unless some of the weights of the battery's are wrong on yuasa web site, the sub was sat on the bottom of the lake and there is no leaks thank goodness it must have been sat on the bottom for about 5 Minutes all the electronics works fine which i must say was good news because i have had to take the battery's out of the sub i have now decided to change the rudder servo as the one in it was to slow it was made from a electric window motor from a car and turned in to a servo the new one is much faster and will make the sub a lot more controlable  but to change this i have had to take the motors out to be able to get in and rework.

But before i can take it out again i have got to buy two new tyres for the trailer as they are splitting, but won't to take it out before the weather gets to cold hopefully when i take it out next time i will get video of it as last time there was to much going on to start filming as i did not think it was worth it till the sub looks right in the water sitting at the right level.

I did take the sub for a spin around the lake and it looked good as it has been about 18 years since it last took to water biggest problem taking this out you need to many people to help and getting them together at the right time is hard.  I would like to thank Stuart Dave and Mick for there help could not have done it with out them

ALL THE BEST John

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #369 on: September 08, 2012, 09:56:19 pm »

just a few teething problems. ohwell till next time john :-))

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #370 on: September 12, 2012, 05:54:12 pm »

HI Mike
      Just finished hacking the back of the sub out to take the new rudder servo made new mounting plates just waiting for bits to be machined up then the hole of the back end of the sub can be put back together. Finished doing the wiring for it last night and fitted the new regulator board for rudder servo so fingers crossed all goes well on next outting should be a lot closer being trimmed up now

Went on yuasa web site looking up the weight of the old battery's and the new one's still ended up the same i should of ended up having to put more lead in for ballast not take it out.
      All the best John

Davy1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Association of Model Submariners
« Reply #371 on: September 13, 2012, 09:24:08 am »

Hi John,

Very good that she has made it back into the water.

Congratulations!

David

gyronuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #372 on: September 14, 2012, 07:21:22 pm »

Excellent. hope you have some spare time as a "new father"to build the U boat. bill

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #373 on: September 16, 2012, 10:26:52 pm »

HI DAVY 1
         Yes it was good to get it back on the water, have just been checking to see if the new colour camera that i fitted in the sub for the video link still worked and glad to say there was no water in the camera unit after being sat on the bottom of the lake for 5 mins, all so checked folding hydroplanes unit to see if there was any water in that unit and that was bone dry as well hopefully next time i take the sub out it will be a lot closer to being trimmed up and can get a video of her in action.

I have all ways found it easier to put lead in the keel for ballast than to take it out when it is fixed under battery's this time will be able to put lead  in free flood area's if need be
      All the best John

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #374 on: October 05, 2012, 08:10:46 pm »

HI GUYS
        Just an up date have got all the rudder linkages  and servo back in the sub the rudder takes about 1 second to go from full left to full right as this will make life a lot easier when i put the auto pilot in and GPS link. I would like to thank Jim for machining up the new bits and bobs the sub is all back together and ready to go and try again weather permitting. Have just ordered new tyres for the trailer so that job will be done hopefully just got to do the final trimming of the sub as it can not be far away now from being trimmed and then next year might be able to go to some model shows

All the best John
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 22 queries.