Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24]   Go Down

Author Topic: My 12 foot Gato class submarine!  (Read 179501 times)

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
Re: My 12 foot Gato class submarine!
« Reply #575 on: July 18, 2020, 10:11:23 PM »

HI every body

On last up date i said that i was doing radar for the sub but i came up with a big problem, processing 2 software which i was using for the radar screen worked fine on PC but when it came to putting it on to a laptop it just would not work, i have spent hours trying to find out what the problem was in the end i thought i would give it a brake and go back to it at a later date. But i then found out that other people was having the same problem running it on a laptop and could not get it to work. But in the end i found out what the problem was it basically was the laptop screen would not go into the right size stopping the software running, of course i ended up having to change some of the code so it now auto sizes itself and it runs fine. But as things work you end up doing other things as well i have been making a DC variable load which can run up to 100amps which gave me some thing to think about of course with this i can test polylithium cells and lots of other things as well with full digital read out for amps and volts. But of course this thing does generate allot of heat when running i can use it as a electric fire when I'm cold in the winter     

Somebody ended up braking one of the oleken guns off on the conning tower i must say a big thanks to Micheal Mcguinn for making me a new gun, the oleken gun that was on the back of the conning tower has now been changed to a boffos gun which is what it should be and it has made it look allot better

I have just also fitted it the big sub digital read out for the  pressure in the main air tanks so i can set it from any where from 30psi to 140psi if need be this is allot stable than mark one , and this has to tell the compressor when to stop,  the compressor in the sub would other wise if need be would run the tanks up to 400psi which would not be very safe for pipe work and valves.
     Hope you are all keeping away from covid19 stay safe sub John

salmon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #576 on: July 20, 2020, 07:08:27 PM »

John,
It is good to hear you are alive and I pray doing well. Most of what you typed went over my head, but I do like hearing about people pushing the edge of technology especially for our hobby.
Please stay safe and keep posting your updates.
Peace,
Tom
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #577 on: October 08, 2020, 10:31:59 PM »

HI Guys
      About 4 weeks ago somebody i know wanted to see the submarine he had seen it down charnwood waters where i used to sail it but had not seen it close up, because i new he was coming round to see it i set up some of the units one of them being the telemetry unit which sends back data showing pressure in main air tanks, battery voltages rpm of props, amps being used and temps plus other bits this was all done using CMOS chips 30 years ago, no processors was used where this is all going when i tried it before the guy came around it worked fine but when he got hear tried it again it would not work. The RF and TX unit had failed could not repair it has it had been covered in a varnish that i could not even get off with acetone this has turned out to be a night mare, tried to replace the units with the new RX TX units that are out there but could not get these to work as the new units are looking for board rate say 4800 and 1 bit stops but the problem is the data i send doesn't work like this. So i had to find a TX RX unit that sends just raw serial data ended up finding a company called digikey that had got what i needed this went on for 4 weeks trying to get it back together and working. I could of designed a TX RX unit but they needed to be small to get back into the units, i could of updated the hole lot but i wonted to leave it as it was when i first made it.

The misses found on eBay a video camera colour and believe it or not the size of the camera is only 5mm square with leans so i ordered one when it arrived of course i had to try it and could not believe just how good the picture was, and for 23 pounds i had to have it . The plan is i won't to get it to look up the periscope i think it's time to now put the torpedo's in.  I keep working on more electronics to go it i think where it will end up going the sub will be that heavy with electronics it will sink and never come up again because of the weight.

Stay safe Sub John

salmon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #578 on: October 09, 2020, 03:55:44 AM »

Sorry for the RX/TX issue, but good to see you still plugging away. Would enjoy more pictures if you got them!
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #579 on: October 10, 2020, 06:03:07 PM »

HI Tom
       The guy that came around to see the submarine said you should take it to shows but i said it's so much trouble to take it out being so big but what I'm hoping to get onto is this 5mm square video camera that i have got. Quite a while ago i did a low frequency video link for under water will have to start putting all this RF tat in to the sub its a good job it runs on big battries 24v at 72amps so should keep it running for a while. You said about putting some pictures up will have to try and do this so you can see the new guns which was made for it by Micheal Mcguinn i think he did a very good job it has made it look alot better.

Thanks for reply John
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24]   Go Up