Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: are these no name lathes any good  (Read 9544 times)

edible_engine

are these no name lathes any good
« on: March 03, 2007, 11:39:50 pm »

i have been told by my parents that  can get a mettle lathe soon but only a cheap one i would be turning brass a little bit of steel aluminum bronze.
this was what i was thinking and can you do small amounts of milling on a lathe i have heard you can.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cl300m-metal-lathe/path/metal-lathes-milldrills/brand/clarke

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough

Jankers

Re: are these no name lathes any good
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 02:03:14 am »

These small lathes are quite good for their capacity and the model you show is available
in  a number of guises from different suppliers.

Before you buy you really need to establish just what you need from the lathe.
These models tend to have a small cross slide, so any tapering jobs will be limited. tapering a mast, for instance, would require a seperate taper attachment and these are, as far as i know, not available for the smaller lathes.

Milling will require a seperate milling attachment or a vertical slide, all added expense.

There used to be some good books available at the library, one in particular dealt with small lathes. It has long been out of print but is still good for the general basic info and well worth a read if you are new to lathe working. I think it is called "Small lathe Working" but can't be sure (it has been too long since i read it).

When i've spoken to model engineers about these lathes they generally say they are ok for aluminium and brass but struggle with steel. The small size of the chuck also limits the diameter of any work you can hold as the scroll only has three? grooves, their preference is to have at least two grooves operating the jaws, relying on one groove means you have to take thing very easy.

That being said, i have seen remarkable work produced on the Unimat machine which is even smaller, but that demanded a particular way of working to adapt to the 'shortcomings' of that lathe.

J.

Also have a look at http://www.axminster.co.uk/

Faraday's Cage

• Full Mayhemer
  • Change is inevitable, except from a drinks machine
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 09:33:52 am »

Edible,

I've got the CL250 lathe purchased from Machine Mart.  Cracking piece of kit but be warned, you really need a workshop for this type of machinery as its very heavy and needs fixing to a sturdy bench. 

I was lucky enough to be invited to one of the VAT free evenings so I got the lathe and accessories at a discount.

Since discovered Axminister (as stated in previous thread) and the same lathe was available for less dosh than full price at Machine Mart but you need to check current prices.

Very happy with my CL250 and I'm sure it would be more than adequate for your needs.

Terry.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 10:59:07 am »

When I was at Harrogate Model Engineering Show a year or two ago I saw exactly the same machine on five differrent stands with five different names on it.

They are all of Chinese origins which is why they can be produced at the price they are however they are a very good peice iof kit for the money.  I bought a Chester one and since I have been in the States for a few weeks I have done a lot of research into this machine.

One thing I have learned is that you must take it apart and completely fettle it, grease/oil the components, adjust all the parts and reassemble and the other point is that you can buy just about any spare part you want for them.  I have purchased a service kit and a spare drive belt for mine.

Check out these sites for invaluable advice and information:

http://www.mini-lathe.com/

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/silkstone/minilathe/minilathe01.htm

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/

I bought my spares from Littlemachineshop.com, who are superb and ship internationally.

"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

omra85

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 12:26:14 pm »

First of all, I have to hold my hands up and admit I don't give my tools the respect they deserve.
I had a Myford ML7 for a number of years but it needed constant servicing or the parts produced were inaccurate to say the least :-[
I sold it and bought a Warco version of this Chinese lathe plus the milling slide and a four jaw chuck.
For brass, ally, steel tube and small section stainless the results are superb (to me).  It is incredibly useful for knocking out the odd collet, adaptor, etc
Mine was purchased just after they started coming into the country in some numbers and the whole set cost just over £400.  I saw the same set of kit at the Midlands Engineering show last year for under £250 :(
The threading set up is a bit fiddly so I tend to use taps and dies with it but the power feed can be left on a low feed ratio and it gives a lovely finish.
Overall a good value, useful addition to the workshop - especially if your going into steamy things ;D
Danny

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 04:04:28 pm »

Hi everyone

Any chance of some photos of these Lathes please so that I can compare them. Perhaps some close ups on the chucks and mechanisms.

Cheers...Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

omra85

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2007, 04:28:23 pm »

Your wish.......

DO NOT comment on the patina of brown on the chuck - I warned you I don't spend much (any) time polishing ;D

omra85

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2007, 04:30:30 pm »

Hit the "send" button before I'd finished . doh!

Danny

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2007, 04:38:30 pm »

D'ya know, I was composing a letter full of questions when your next picture came through.

Very informative. Thanks for that.

Last time I worked a lathe was the 1960's. A gert big thing, as I remmember. These look tidy for the workshop. I might well invest in one

Cheers...Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2007, 05:24:44 pm »

Hi Edible

In answer to your enquiry - I think they are - theres no doubt in my mind that the Chinese have improved their quality of manufacture in the last year or so.  I purchased a 12" x 7" lathe from http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZharryuk123QQhtZ-1 and have nothing but praise for both the machine and the guy who supplied it.  Paid £285 for it and have since bought a 4 jaw independent chuck and one or two other bits and bobs.  It may not be the Rolls Royce of lathes but it is well capable of producing reasonably accurate components.   It is identical to machines sold in the UK under 'brand names' at much more money.  Also suggest you get yourselve a small bandsaw, makes life a lot easier - I bought an H80 from Chester and its a real labour saving device. 

Take a look at this site - lots of help and info
                                        www.gadgetbuilder.com/MyShop.html

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2007, 06:35:40 pm »

Have you checked out Axminster Power Tool Centre.
I have just received their latest catalogue and they do tools electrical and others for every concievable job.
They also do loads of other stuff as well.
Their catalogue has 622 pages.
Well worth a read.
I buy loads of stuff from them and they are very efficient and helpful.

Web site is : http://www.axminster.co.uk/

Richard ;)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

edible_engine

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2007, 10:00:43 pm »

well from what you all say they seem OK i will be getting a new shed soon so thats when I'm going to get it i think i will go down to machine mart and have a close look at one on display. are most parts compatable because i fancy doing a little milling but cant seem to find a vertical slide fore the cl300.

omra85

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2007, 01:41:12 pm »

The Clarke's CL300 is a larger, more powerful machine than mine, or the ones we have been discussing.  The Clarkes equivalent of mine is the CL250. This is the one that is sold by everybody (in various colours). Some MAY also sell the larger version. The fittings for the "Micro Lathe" or CL250, may not fit the CL300. ???
Danny

Telstar

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2007, 04:21:27 pm »

Hi Edible

I also bought a "Chinese" lath recently from
totalmtt@ntlworld.com  ( no website)
this guy was most helpful and when I collected the lath (my choice ) I was able to look at some of the "extras". Like you I want to do some light milling and was able to get a mill attachment (vert. slide) from stock.
Although I haven't done any milling yet I have used the lath, and even did internal screwcutting on one item.
keep looking don't buy in haste, be sure the one you buy will suit your needs

Telstar

johno 52-11

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model lifeboats built to perform
    • lifeboat Models
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2007, 12:13:28 am »

Hi Edible

A lot will depend on what you are planning to use the machine for. The most important parts on a lathe are the bits you can not see the Headstock bearings. The slitest bit of ware here will mean you will loose the accuracy of the machine. If you will have the space have a look at some of the second hand machines that are available I have a southbend 9" thats over 60 years old and still vary accurate. have a look at http://lathes.co.uk/ there is a lot of good info there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.