Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brand New to the Model Boat World  (Read 2435 times)

theguy501

Brand New to the Model Boat World
« on: August 23, 2011, 05:05:49 am »

Hi all,

As the title says, I'm brand spankin' new to the world of model boats and am looking to get into it.  I have some experience with model cars, but not much.  I have been looking around at models online and would like to invest in my first model/tools/supplies but am not really sure what is needed or which model to begin with.  Preferably something a little challenging, but not too tough for someone new to woodworking and such. 

My goal, once I have some experience, is to invest in a Chris Craft kit and have fun with it.  But all in good time.  So, any suggestions as far as kits would be greatly appreciated, as well as any tools and supplies that I'll need.  I don't mind doing some research on my own if someone can point me in the right direction.

Lookin' forward to getting started!  Thanks all!

colin-d

Re: Brand New to the Model Boat World
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 10:04:13 am »

the only power tool i have is a multi purpose hand held Proxxon Micro drill / sander, do anything tool with Variable speed, all my other tools are manual labour, files, pliers, side cutters, screwdrivers , sanding paper and the such like.

Proxxon Tool

as for a suggestion to what sort of Kit you would like, it would be handy to know;

1. your preference of boat (fast launch, war ship, merchant ship, work boat etc)
2. your preference of materials (wood or plastics)

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 10:17:12 am »

Can you alter your details to show your location? This can affect and help members with there posts to you. I find it hard to give advise as each members skills can vary so much.Not a lot of help but state the obvious and suggest a kit for begginers.Also read some of the build posts and see if you feel thats your level.Any problems im sure the members will be glad to help.John.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 10:26:51 am »

Agree with your location, we might recommend a brand or company that isn't relevant to where you live.  Have a look at the Springer thread, first dozen pages.   You might not need a kit, all mine are made of scrap wood with only the running gear from model shops..
..well can you land on this?

theguy501

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 02:59:35 pm »

Thanks fellas, location is updated, I'm in Middle Tennessee. 

Colin-d: I think I'd like to try wood models, I'm not sure what all the types are but I liked the looks of some of the yachts and the speedboat/luxury motorboats that I've seen.  Thanks for the tool advice too, I'll look into it.

Arrow and John S: I'll have a look at those threads you suggested, much appreciated gents.

colin-d

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 06:31:45 pm »

well if your into Wood and you would like a yacht/speedboat/luxury motorboats then you will probably want to google "Aero Kits"

or use the search in this forum for the same...

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 07:07:20 pm »

hi ya there, if you fancy building from a plan for your first model - if you have a look in the topic named masterclass section - the name often puts a lot of newcomers off.  However, there are one or two detailed builds there aimed specifically at the beginner/newcomer - namely the Swordsman and the M.T.B. - and both of these have been built with very basic tools - a very sharp modelling knife - some files - sandpaper - steel ruler and a few other bits and bobs.   No fancy tools and I believe if you begin with a model whether it be kit or from a plan with the basic tools, it is always best.  This is because, as your modelling skills progress/increase you can determine for yourself what other tools you require and also what tools fit your pocket-budget.

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 07:20:20 pm »

Thanks for posting where you live. we may have trouble suggesting local shops. But who knows? John. 

Stiggolas

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 01:18:03 pm »

I was in the same boat (pun intended!) as the OP last year with no boaty experience. On the recommendation of the Gadget show (UK) I bought a Magic Cat RTR micro speed boat, well that was it, hooked :). Then I decided I needed a rescue boat so a Springer is all but built from scrap. Then I needed more speed so the little Cat was modified with a hot motor and LiPo power I can literally roll the boat with the torque now on full throttle from a standstill!. Then even more speed needed so Offshore Warrior bought. Then another scratch build is planned and I have the plans for the Fairey Swordsman (24" version) for this winter's project. After that I may try my hand at racing something, perhaps a Club 500 to start......This gets obsessive....but FUN!!!

Good luck with whatever you decide on, you won't regret it!

LarryW

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 04:20:37 pm »

HI GUY, welcome on board,   as bluebird suggested swordsman it was one  of my first builds, and does what it  says on the tin,
 easy build and fun to sail , i have one on going at the moment it will be my 2nd one . or you look at some of GLYNN GUESTS plans .
   hope this helps  LARRY...

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 21 queries.