Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: 1/96 Supertanker and more...  (Read 59937 times)

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
1/96 Supertanker and more...
« on: August 23, 2011, 08:20:37 pm »

Hello there fellow Mayhemers. Here's my latest project, thought it was about time I got round to doing something with my 8ft supertanker hull I acquired at Wicksteed last year. The hull measures 8' x 13" or 2.44m x 0.33m, so a fair size. I have thought about chopping it in half but it will just squeeze into my car as it is so it's staying in one piece for now. It's intended to be a good boat for me to sail and for tug towing events etc.
It's going to have interchangeable deck sections and superstructures, for starters I'm going to do a supertanker. I'm also planning container ship, LNG carrier and general bulk carrier sections. Power will be from a 12v Marlin geared motor driving a 90mm 4 blade prop on a M6 shaft, biggest prop I could fit on it. There will be 3 Rabosech 22mm thrusters, 2 on the bow, 1 on the stern. Made a start on the rudder, that's about it! Will be fitting strengthening stringers and bulkheads over the next week. Dave.  :-))

Capt Podge

Re: 1/96 Supertanker and more...
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 08:49:28 pm »

WOW ! I'll be watching this one alright :o

...does it fit in your workshop ?  or are you going to construct a covered slipway...good luck with this one. :-))

Regards,

Ray.

davidsg1a

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 09:00:52 pm »

Hey Dave, its cracking looking hull that one, on my container ship i didnt bother with the stern thurster, I used a big becker rudder and it turns great and also put a home made bow thurster with what I think is a 540 motor and it works well.

Have you tryed ballast yet? Mine took 112 lbs (50KG)

David

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 09:05:04 pm »

Nice project, how are you going to launch that beast?

Free flood ballast might be worth thinking about.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

nhp651

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 09:14:12 pm »

I hope it doesn't do what it's prototype real ship did, Dave.....

MT Prestige, which that hull is modelled from split in two in rough weather in the Bay of Biscay in 2002 with 80,000 tonnes of crude on board 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prestige_oil_spill

That hull was made from plugs I did for Dave Metcalf to make moulds from for a student studying the stresses on the hull of the real ship at the London Science and Technology College...she was actually modelled at 1;100 scale.

Have yet to see one built so get cracking, me 'arty

neil.

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 10:19:54 pm »

Hi there guys, have you recovered from your hols yet Neil? The hull won't fit in my work area but I've got the garage. Hopefully the weather will stay nice so can do the stringers and bulkheads outdoors, that can be done in a day. All the detail work will be in sections which will fit on my workbench, (hopefully). I know the hull is 1/100 but I'll be using 1/96 scale fittings for convenience and there will be hardly any difference as it's not going to be based on a specific vessel. As for ballast, I know it's going to want a fair amount. It's either going to be free flooding compartment or ballast tanks that I'll pump water into at the lakeside. I don't want to be carrying piles of bricks about! More to come as soon as I've made more progress, Dave.  :-))

nhp651

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 10:30:53 pm »

have you recovered from your hols yet Neil? , Dave.  :-))

hi dave.more or less..............been in the workshop the last couple o' days working on the ambulance boat.coming on slowly.
neil.

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 10:36:27 pm »

Look forward to seeing it. Russ is going be building the Severn, I've just not got the space to do it.  {:-{ Bit of an irony that I can work on the bigger tanker though as it's in sections, take it easy, Dave.  :-))

nhp651

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 10:43:47 pm »

has he bought it off you..he must be raking it in , what with his new car, lol %% %% %%

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 07:49:36 am »

Blimey I've just finalised how many shipping container sections I'm going to have to make. Based on 5 containers high it works out at 110 side panels, 108 top panels and if I do every end panel visable there'll be 720 of them!  :o  Think I'll just be doing the end panels at the bow and stern where they're clearly visable, that'll bring their number down to 120. Should keep me busy, glad I'm doing the tanker deck first! Dave.  %)

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2011, 05:48:39 pm »

Hello all, with working and going to the two shows yesterday and also dodgy weather I've not yet got round to fitting the stringers in the hull. I have however made a start on the main superstructure yesterday and today. It's all styrene, mainly 1mm with 1.5mm corner braces. The top of the wheelhouse is 2mm as it'll have a small motor for the radars and a battery holder attatched to it. It's all pretty much freelance after looking at loads of different photos on the web. I always keep a scale figure handy for reference and to keep everything in proportion. More to come soon, Dave.  :-))

offshore1987

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2011, 08:54:15 pm »

Really cant wait to see this build unfold  :-))

Maybe later on next year will pick one of these up, have got the 6 foot tid atm but havnt got very far with her yet  :-)

if i got one id be very tempted to put voiths in her just for something abit diffrent

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2011, 09:07:23 pm »

The 6ft TID is a nice boat, Andy at MBD does some great boats, look forward to seeing that too. Voiths drive on tanker would be an interesting project. I look at the superstructure so far and starting to realise just how big this monster is going to be, for the container ship version there will be 5 blocks with 2 containers in a row, 5 high and 12 wide and another single block of containers at the bow. Hoping to do the stringers and bulkheads over next few days. I'll keep the pictures coming, Dave.  :-))

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2011, 05:23:46 pm »

More or less finished the main superstructure off today. Spotted the modern type lifeboats below at Haydock Park on Saturday on a very nice modified Deans Marine Celastine, (hope you don't mind the me putting the picture on here). I was wondering if anyone knows a dealer who sells or these or similar in 1/96, 1/100 scale? I'll drop Ron Dean an email to see if he'll let me have a pair anyway. Failing that I'll just scratch build some. More to come soon, Dave.  :-))

AT Boatyard

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2011, 05:54:24 pm »

Hi Dave you got it started then looking good mate.
Had a busy weekend testing the Type 45
See you soon
regards
Alan

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2011, 06:00:24 pm »

Hi Dave you got it started then looking good mate.
Had a busy weekend testing the Type 45
See you soon
regards
Alan

Hi there Alan, hope you're both ok? Yes finally got going on it. Going to be bit of a monster but small compared with your Daring!  O0 Should see you soon as long as I've still got my car, take it easy, Dave.  :-))

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2011, 06:18:56 pm »

I would say you are from finished with all them windows to cut out !!    %%

Subsonuc Mike

• Shipmate
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2011, 02:56:15 pm »

looking forwad to seeing this

g6hfk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is theBest!
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2011, 11:53:44 am »

It gets harder to get sailing now, this monster will take up most of our jetty at Westport  {-) {-) {-) what with you and Russ there will be no room for the rest of us !!!

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2011, 01:19:35 pm »

It gets harder to get sailing now, this monster will take up most of our jetty at Westport  {-) {-) {-) what with you and Russ there will be no room for the rest of us !!!

It'll ok Les, we're building an offshore terminal for it.  O0 {-) O0  On a serious note though, I'm probably going to make some kind of floating jetty for it so it'll be kept out of the way when moored up. It'll be available for tug towing too so that should be interesting, should be down again tomorrow with Our Lass 2 weather permitting of course, Dave.  :-))

offshore1987

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2011, 02:05:45 pm »

More?  :-))

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2011, 04:28:26 pm »

Hi there all, progress has been slow lately due to the weather, work and going away. Seems every day I've been off it's been raining so unable to work on it outside, been very frustrating to say the least, Dave.  {:-{

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2011, 09:22:06 pm »

Hello all, finally got some more done today. Fitted the base for the ballast and running gear and started on the bulkheads. More to come tomorrow, weather permitting, Dave.  :-))

wartsilaone

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2011, 02:06:13 am »

Hi Dave. I'm loving this build and can't wait to see it finished. If you are still after some 1:96 scale lifeboats I have some I could send you.

Ali.

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2011, 07:14:16 am »

Hi Dave. I'm loving this build and can't wait to see it finished. If you are still after some 1:96 scale lifeboats I have some I could send you.

Ali.

Hi there Ali, if you've got a pair of lifeboats I could buy off you that would be great, I'll send you a message. I've managed to fit some of the bulkhead, motor is in place. I keep getting held up with bad weather. Got a few days off now so hoping to do lots more to her. Many thanks again, Dave.  :}
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.