Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: 1/96 Supertanker and more...  (Read 59948 times)

wartsilaone

Re: 1/96 Supertanker and more...
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2011, 08:41:26 am »

Hi Dave. Yes I'll get another one cast for you. I want to start selling them for £4 each, that way you get a pair for a about a tenner including P+P.                                                                                                                                                                        Never done this before so I don't know how to go about payment but I'm sure we can sort something out.

Speak to you soon Ali.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2011, 08:54:00 am »

What size are the lifeboats at 1:96th  Ali ? I could be interested if you go into production. PM me if reqd.
..well can you land on this?

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2011, 01:14:31 pm »

Well I've done some more to her, and yes she is in the kitchen but as I've got house to myself for a few days it'll be fine. The bulkheads are cut out and all ready to be bonded in place (not something I'll do inside with the smell!). I'll make a start on cutting the holes for the bow thrusters later. She's very rigid even though not all fully bonded together yet, suprising really. Thought I'd put the last one in of one of my Yorkie's Kimmy, she's quite happy on board! More to come soon, Dave.  :-))

nhp651

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2011, 01:44:17 pm »

she looks a very reluctant crew  member Dave................

looks a great build. neil. :-))

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2011, 04:35:33 pm »

she looks a very reluctant crew  member Dave................

looks a great build. neil. :-))

Hi Neil, she was fine. Might build a 'dog' compartment and sail them round the lake too! It's just getting heavier and heavier with the more structure I'm adding to it. She'll be rigid enough once all bonded together and deck in place. Think I'm going to use a pump to put water ballast aboard in tanks or use a couple of old car batteries, I haven't worked out how much weight I'll need to get her down to the waterline yet but it'll be a lot! One good thing with tankers is they're not always sailing fully loaded!
Will see you at Blackpool on Sunday if you're about? I'll be there from opening time with a couple of other club members. Russ isn't coming to the show, never does this one. See you soon, Dave.  :-))

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2011, 03:02:58 am »

Dave,

Got it wrong, thought your build was a tanker not a Dog boat %) %) %)

subs1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2011, 07:33:19 am »

I have built a 10ft containership and it takes 4 normal car batteries as ballast . I use one of them for electrical power .I have fitted two  500 gallon /hr bilge pumps as a bow thruster.The ship also is built in two haves to make it easier to transport too . I also found a good site with container plans
http://www.norbtach.nl/bouwplaat/8cont20-3/8cont20-3.html
http://home.wanadoo.nl/schatborn/
http://home.wanadoo.nl/schatborn/index2.html

Malcolm  NZ

nhp651

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2011, 10:20:53 am »

She'll be rigid enough once all bonded together and deck in place. Think I'm going to use a pump to put water ballast aboard in tanks or use a couple of old car batteries, I haven't worked out how much weight I'll need to get her down to the waterline yet but it'll be a lot! One good thing with tankers is they're not always sailing fully loaded!
Will see you at Blackpool on Sunday if you're about?

Loch ness, next year with her???? {-) {-) {-) {-) or perhaps the channel dash, %% %% %%

I'll be there both days as the LBES has asked me to put the Clyde on show, and run her up on the pond......so couldn't resist making a fool o' myself when it doesn't work,lol.
it'll be PM on sunday though.
neil.

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2011, 05:10:46 pm »

Loch Ness-No. Maybe somewhere just North of you next year but South of the border, hmmm??????? :-X  See you Sunday I'm sure, be nice to see Clyde in the water again. Dave.  :-))

offshore1987

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2011, 07:47:53 pm »

Lookin good number 6  :-))

shes going to be quite something when finished

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2011, 02:55:44 pm »

Thanks offshore, shes certainly going to be big if nothing else! Bonded in the 2 main bulkheads fore and aft and some of the stringers. I'll fix the other 2 bulkheads in place when I've sorted the ballast out, I may leave them removeable actually so can reposition them if I need to. I've run out of plywood and fibreglass now so won't do much more today, I'll get some on my way home from work tomorrow. Think last 2 photos start to show what she's going to turn out like. Dave.  :-))

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2011, 02:57:05 pm »

Oh my gawd!!   :-))   :-))   :-))

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2011, 02:59:58 pm »

Oh my gawd!!   :-))   :-))   :-))

That was a quick reply! Had enough of work today I guess?  O0 I'm going have dive in the bath, still manage get fibreglass and resin stuck to me everywhere despite wearing gloves etc!  %)  %) %)

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2011, 01:39:19 pm »

Started on the bow and stern thrusters today. Not a job I was looking forward to but made relatively simple after borrowing a 22mm hole cutter off Russ (6705russell), thanks Russ, saved me loads of time and hassle. They're ready to go in, I'm going to go over the joints with some fibreglass resin before I fix them in place. Dave.  :-))

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2011, 12:14:43 pm »

Managed to fibreglass the bow and stern thrusters in place this morning before the heavens opened. Won't get much more done today with this weather. Dave.  {:-{

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2011, 12:20:16 pm »

Had a nice delivery off the postman this morning. Have had my 2 lifeboats off fellow Mayhemmer wartsilaone, they're great and just what I was looking for, bargain price too. When I do the container sections I'll do a couple with your name on, many thanks, Dave.  :-))

nhp651

« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2011, 01:03:41 pm »

they do look nice Dave....lovely little models in their own rights. :-))

wartsilaone

« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2011, 05:03:51 pm »

Hi Dave. I'm glad the lifeboats got to you in one piece. It's the first time them on another ship and they look pretty good for size.

Keep up the good work :-)).

Ali.

offshore1987

« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2011, 08:50:08 pm »

looking great dave, shame about the weather :/ i hope its sunny up there soon so we can see somemore of this build  :-))

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2011, 05:42:50 pm »

Well the weather hasn't been too bad today so managed to do some more. I've finished fibreglassing in the rest of the rear stringers in place and fitted a piece of ply for the rudder servo. The ballast for initial trials will consist of 12x 4 pint plastic milk bottles filled with sand. This is just so I can find out just how much weight is needed to get her on the waterline. Once this is established I'll be fitting 2 or 3 water tanks that can be filled at the lakeside by means of a 12v pump and emptied same way. I'll make the tanks removeable so they can be properly rinsed out when back at home. The centre bulkhead is removeable as are the wooden strips across the base that are at present separating the milk bottles. Working tomorrow so should be doing more on Tuesday and Wednesday, hoping to start fitting the deck and get the thrusters finished off. All things considered she's not really that heavy, bearing in mind she's 8ft long, just a bit awkward to handle! Dave.  :-))

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2011, 05:51:15 pm »

That's looking very smooth Dave. You've achieved a nice finish.   :-))   I'd be very interested to see the weight testing and water adjustments at the lake. Bet you're looking forward to that.

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2011, 05:52:20 pm »

Why not fill the four pinters with water instead of sand?
Much easier and true to the water ballast you will eventually use.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2011, 06:07:34 pm »

Hi guys, thanks Ken. Hmmm trials should be 'interesting' to say least. They'll be done in shallow water with waders on!  O0
Only reason was going to use sand Ned was that I've been put off using water after same sort of bottle leaked in my Our Lass 2 during trials and soaked everything before I could get it out. Mind you the deck section will be off for trials so if one does decide to leak it could be quickly removed, would probably be easier to be honest, Dave.  :-))

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2011, 06:13:35 pm »

If they are standing upright and are treated gently should not be a problem
but laid on the side the caps are not the best water stoppers

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2011, 06:24:37 pm »

They're a right pain those bottles and have to lie on their side. Think I was up your way yesterday Ned? Delivering to Goole and Hull near the docks in my truck. Dave.  :-))
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 23 queries.