Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrading Johnson 540 for PT50 Hydrofoil  (Read 2274 times)

Yogibear

Upgrading Johnson 540 for PT50 Hydrofoil
« on: August 19, 2011, 11:57:41 pm »

Hi , like some advice please, ive got a PT50 Hydrofoil that has run a Johnson/Tamiya 540 which I believe is the stock motor.

Im in the process of refurbing it , and have been thinking bout upgrading the motor whilst im doing some other work on the model.

I really dont have a clue what I would upgrade to. The model isnt that fast as such but obviously requires some power to get foil borne.

Ive using 7.2 V 3200mah batteries and a Mtroniks Marine 20 speed controller and am upgrading the radio gear to 2.4ghz.

Im also toying with the idea of going lipo and brushless  for longer run times and lighter weight

MikeA

Re: Upgrading Johnson 540 for PT50 Hydrofoil
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 12:21:48 am »

brushless wont give you longer run times  :-)) im building a boat atm and bought this brushless :
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270793024308?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648
you have fiddle with the connectors cos there wrong so youl need a soldering iron but seems to be ok to me.

nick_75au

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 02:27:36 am »

Going brush-less will definitely reduce weight, longer runtime, well maybe not, if you need more power. Though filling the boat with lipo the equivalent weight of the Ni-XX will. You can get 540 sized Brush-less. Look for the same Kv or a little higher, a stock 540 motor is about 2100 Kv, a Feigao 540-7XL  is a drop in replacement.

Cheers
Nick

Yogibear

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 06:58:10 pm »

Where would I get a Feigao 540-7XL from in the UK? and what speed controller should I be looking at with one of these.

Also do they need to be water cooled ??? I'm hoping I can water cool the motor but not sure how well it will work when the boat is up on its foils.

nick_75au

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 10:55:30 pm »

http://www.astecmodels.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=24_46

As I have never dealt with them I'll let someone else chime in, they would be able to recommend ESC's and such as well.

Water cooling would be important for an in-runner, I would think a normal water scoop behind the prop would be sufficient along with the appropriate jacket to suit the motor you choose.

If you want more power try the 580 series, 2100 Kv with the next size up prop, I'm not sure if the bolt pattern is the same though?

Cheers
Nick

Yogibear

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 01:49:55 am »

Im a little worried with the water cooling as the motor on the PT50 is mounted in the bow and would require water lines running all the way from the prop to the front of the boat then back again. Will add a bit of weight and not sure if the pressure will be enough to lift the water that far.

Had a look on that site but the 540-7xl is currently out of stock. Ill ring them monday and see when they are getting some more in.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.