Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Barge  (Read 5308 times)

blazer

Barge
« on: August 25, 2011, 12:20:30 pm »

Hello,

currently I'm trying to find out how a barge looked like around 1920.
Plans or pictures are hard to find.
I made a simple CAD-drawing and made a DOC-file out of it which you can hopefully open.
If anybody has any suggestions upon the shape please let me know.
I'm not sure wether a rudder is needed or not.
Of course if wanted you can use the plan to built a barge on your own.

Regards Stephan

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Barge
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 12:36:13 pm »

Hullo blazer....you may be better to define the type of barge you are looking for .... :embarrassed: from the 1920's period & also the Country of origin........

Your representaion of a barge looks OK

The 250 x 140 dimensions do not display a thickness of containment element

The nominated length of 745.19 should be rounded to 745

Derek  :-))
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

blazer

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 03:06:08 pm »

Hallo Derek,
you are right.
I forgot to say what the barge should carry.
I thought about coal or ore.
Bud I did not understand what you mean by "thickness of containment element".
Anyway thanks for your reply
Stephan

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 06:24:35 pm »

Here are some 1898 barges...  :D

%)

An old canal barge...

rmaddock

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 06:40:37 pm »

I found the following British Waterways film when doing a project for the children at school.....it's rather quaint but about the right period.

http://youtu.be/hPU_MD5Pga0

LarryW

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 07:46:30 pm »

HI is this what are looking for  ........LARRY....

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 07:55:44 pm »

Oh, wait, I see, you posted a barge plan... Didn't see that, and was ribbing you about the era...

Here is a copy for all to view.

8)

Patrick Henry

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 12:04:15 pm »

Larry, what material did you use for the cover over the loading area on your barge?

Rich

LarryW

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 02:59:51 pm »

HELLO RICH, just cartridge paper sprayed with satin spray paint sponged off with a white paint, stencil cut out of sign made in photo shop as in main logo on cabin side
      rest of boat scratch built from ickia blind slats balsa bow and stern .  battery under cargo hold , other bits in cabin,     easy boat to build, 
 based on boats on FAZLEY canal BIRMINGHAM which used to be my play ground as kid ........LARRY.....

Patrick Henry

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 03:10:01 pm »

Well I'm blowed...I'd have never thought of using cartridge paper. That's a perishin' good idea...I'll try that on mine.

Thanks Larry, much appreciated.

Rich

LarryW

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 03:34:02 pm »

WELL RICH,  when modelling on a budget you look at things in a different light , LARRY.....
     ALSO forgot to mention TRIUMPHJON for the plan....he was most helpful.....

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 04:03:39 pm »

Rich , another covering material,very tough and real fabric is "Solartex" used by model aircraft builders.  It comes in umpteen colours, is air & waterproof and can be painted using oil based (Humbrol etc)   It has a heat activated glue and can be shrunk or slackened by heat (hair-drier). The weave  gives a "fabric/tarpaulin" look. The picture sample is over 17 years old and has been to sea (salt) many times. Slight sheen in picture is too much in photo but looks OK in real life (semi-matt Humbrol). Bad  is that it comes in BIG rolls, try your aeromodelling pals for off-cuts. I can send enough to cover your barge, pot-luck with colour but state preference you might be in luck.
..well can you land on this?

Patrick Henry

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2011, 11:59:19 am »

Thanks for the kind offer, but I'm well on the way to being sorted now...

Front compartment has half a load of timber lashed down on it, rear half has a cover constructed from 1mm styrene sheet. By the time it's been finished off and had a coat of paint, plus some signwriting done, it should look reasonable....I hope. Needs some more timber to make a bigger load though, then the final detailing...spare tarpaulins lashed down on the roof, buckets, bicycle, crewman at the tiller, dog(s) etc, she should look the part out on the water.

Thanks again for the very kind offer, much appreciated.

Rich

LarryW

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, 05:28:42 pm »

HI RICH, narrow boat looking good, what plan are you using and what is the construction ?  LARRY...

Patrick Henry

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2011, 05:51:07 pm »

Thanks Larry...no plans, I'm making it all up as I go along, I downloaded some pictures off of the 'net, got a few ideas, and away I went.

The hull is moulded styrene, it did have a full cabin top, but I'm sorry to say I stuffed it up, so I cut the centre section out and converted it into a haulage barge.

She has a 12volt 380 motor, a 12volt 3700a/h cell pack, Planet5 2.4gHz radio, an MMB micro servo for the rudder, ACTion Condor esc, and a John Robinson (the guy who built the 12' Gato sub)electronic switcher to turn on the lights and engine noise sound effects. She will also have a water controlled on/off power switch...I just put her in the water and the radio and main power is turned on automatically. Take her out of the water and all power is switched off.

She needs a lot more timber to make the load up a bit, but we're getting there slowly...

Rich

LarryW

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2011, 09:02:04 am »

good morning RICH,    some images for you ,   my narrow boat is a coal carrier ,    just broken real coal mixed with pva stuck on to a bit of card and sprayed with matt varnish to water proof. Larry.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2011, 10:40:49 am »

She's lovely Larry...my compliments, sir.

Done a bit more to mine this morning...made up a bit more of a mixed load, added a few more details here and there, next up is to finish painting her and get the signwriting done.

Mr Sam

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2011, 11:54:22 pm »

great stuff i think a narrow boat maybe next on the cards for me, heres a few pics of sign writing on a few work boats

Samuel Barlow Coal by Sam Tait, on Flickr

Blue Line Canal Carriers by Sam Tait, on Flickr
GUCC by Sam Tait, on Flickr
DSC_0054 by Sam Tait, on Flickr
 :-))

farrow

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2011, 10:00:15 pm »

Hi Blazer, I looked at your drawings and they are a typical humber built barge of the sixties period using welding construction. The MoD had some as store barges, if it is any help the Thames swimhead lighters stayed pretty much the same from the early twenties until the seventies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.