Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FHM pilot cutter.  (Read 6079 times)

lifejacket

FHM pilot cutter.
« on: August 26, 2011, 02:03:20 pm »

Hi all, just tracked down my new boat's maker thanks to MBM members.. it is the FHM pilot cutter: 597mm L 187mm B...

I am finding it difficult to track down any pics, instuctions, OE spec tho'... Does anyone have any relevant pics/info that they can share please..?

springersrus

Re: FHM pilot cutter.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 05:05:11 pm »

Hi I have one ,built it about 1980 have the plans somewhere I will see if I can find them in my archive and make a copy

lifejacket

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 07:25:37 pm »

Ah, that would be great. Do you happen to know if the prop size is noted in the plans..? the prop that is on has the wrong bore and is shimmed to suit, it is brass but I cannot see any makers/size info stamped on it.. it seems a little aggressive too and causes serious (un-scale like..!) planing...

springersrus

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 12:26:40 pm »

Hi I have found the plans and will get a clubmate to scan them in for me,
mine uses a 545 motor 2 x 7.2 3300 nicads and a p35 propeller, they are designed to go quite fast
in real life .just watch them go at harwich/felixstow docks once they are out of the harbour limits.

lifejacket

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 03:35:03 pm »

Hi I have found the plans and will get a clubmate to scan them in for me

Fantastic springersrus, that would be excellent. many thanks...

mine uses a 545 motor 2 x 7.2 3300 nicads and a p35 propeller

Ah, now that will be quick..! In mine there is what I think is a 550 motor with g'box attached
and I use a single 7.4 lipo pack and it gives this off-shore planing attitude..!! That is the reason I think the prop is not the correct one... Now I am kinda new to boats so my nautical knowledge is limited so all info will be gratefully accepted..

LarryW

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 04:06:51 pm »

HI ,   nice build who's plan is it ?   i would like to have crack at it Larry....

springersrus

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 09:35:02 pm »

This a copy of the manual that came with the kit. hope it is of use

lifejacket

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 03:36:41 pm »

Many thanks for the scan springersrus it is just what I was looking for...    as you may have noticed, some artistic licence with the cabin roof adornments has been used by a previous owner, still looks ok tho'...

lifejacket

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 03:42:12 pm »

HI ,   nice build who's plan is it ?   i would like to have crack at it Larry....

Hi Larry... it is/was a kit from HFM(not FHM..!) based in Lincs tho' I'm not sure if it still is in production... the contact info is in one of the pics from springersrus...

flundle

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 07:23:26 pm »

What a surprise to see these!
I now own rights to manufacture the whole range of the HFM kits including of course, is little gem.  Only my health problems have prevented me from getting them all into production again but perhaps later in the year who knows?
Steve Tedsill built one for me and I was going to go to the shows with it but didn't make them. It has a 540 in it and goes really well.

I thought I would keep using the HFM tag, out of respect to Harvey.

Glad to see the instructions, I may need to borrow them!

I have done a lot on the HFM Thames Barge too but I'm awaiting a fittings pack to be put together then its ready.
PS
How do I put photos on the site?
Adrian Gosling
Speedline Models

springersrus

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 10:33:45 pm »

Another couple of pictures of my pilot cutter, it has a sound unit (a maplin kit) and the radio is now a planet 5, original radio was Sanwa 3 channel
also I have found another sheet of instructions and will get them scanned.If needed I will create a Pdf of the Instructions.

lifejacket

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 01:54:07 pm »

FLUNDLE... SPRINGERSRUS...

Well, it seems this thread is throwing up some interest!!

I am glad to hear the kit may be in production once again Flundle as it looks great on the water.

Springersrus, top pics there... I see the hull attitude is deffo a trait of this kit by the looks of it, nice! Any info will be gratefully received so scan away shipmate! Your pilot is looking good in orange, I was thinking of a re-spray for mine but wasn't too sure, but seeing yours has set the cogs turning again! I really like the portholes as opposed to the square windows too, so if the moulds are to be used again I would like to give that a go... hhmmm, a new superstructure in orange with portholes to use as a change? now I like that idea..!

springersrus

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2011, 10:35:12 pm »

a scan of the other 2 pages sorry they are a bit fadded plus a picture of the real thing

I hope to have my boat on the water at the hop farm on sunday all being well.

lifejacket

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2011, 07:59:00 pm »

Many thanks springers... I now have a little folder with everything in it..  :-))

BTW, how do you secure the cabin structure to the deck..? I am using 2 of the RM's best red, biodegradeable laggy bands..! AND, is your interior sitting seperate from the cabin..?

flundle

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 04:18:43 pm »

You might like to know that the pilot boat is in production again and will be avaialble at the Warwick show.  See speedline models' website for more info.

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2011, 05:29:49 pm »

You might like to know that the pilot boat is in production again and will be avaialble at the Warwick show.  See speedline models' website for more info.

Back in the day I built a number of Harveys models, including the Deep Dive 6, the 590s, Type 23,and both versions of his Fast Electric whose name escapes me. Excellent models, one and all and a tribute to Harvey Middletons design skills,he could talk the hind legs off a donkey, but those models fit like a glove and could run in any weather. Good luck with re-issuing the range. Highly recommended :-))
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.