Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: M2 props and shafts  (Read 4122 times)

jim w

M2 props and shafts
« on: August 26, 2011, 06:55:59 pm »

I am just working on 2 smallish vessels and have bought 2mm graupner propshafts and small plastic props.
On a larger vessel I used 4mm shaft and brass prop, which came with a locknut to fix prop to shaft. The 2mm shaft doesnt have this locknut so I was wondering how I fix rop to shaft so that it doesnt 'unwind' whan reversing? is it just a question of a drop of loctite?
I noticed that the 'tube' for the m2 shaft is already quite long and will have to be shortened to get a coupling attached to the 'inboard' end of the shaft if the prop is threaded all the way on the 'outboard' end.

Hope this makes sense! Cheers, jim

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: M2 props and shafts
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 07:07:28 pm »

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 09:33:49 pm »

Re locktite on shaft. We here in Canada have different grades of locktite, I would think it would be the same in U/K . If you use RED it is on forever the only way to get something apart is to destroy it. The BLUE  stuff  holds tight but generally will come off without damaging anything. There are I think at least 6 different grades. Mick  B.                     
Mick B.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 11:49:46 pm »

on all shafts M2 M4 M5 I wind the nut on and silver solder then clan up it only takes a very small amount of silver solder and the right flux  then put a Nice washer on between shaft and tube shorten the thread to the length of props you are using it stops you evidently getting the threads in a Bearing.makes for a consistant water tight joint we have used this method  on a couple of boats that must of had prob 50 props on in test with a lot of power, not lost one yet ( touch wood)

Peter

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 06:37:21 am »

Very good fix there, not too lightly to come off. Being in the auto industry all my life locktite is a saviour. I personally use a large amount of grade 8 nuts , bolts & washers, particularly where I need to spread the load over the whole area covered by the flat washer ( grade 5 tends to dish in the middle). As a matter of fact when rebuilding engines etc. we never reuse old hardware, costs a little bit more but well worth the investment. Mick B.
Mick B.

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 07:35:40 am »

This is what I use for locking the nuts/bolts, engine exhausts etc on models, parts are easily taken apart when needed.

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/zap-technology-z-42-thread-locker/rc-car-products/14329
XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 08:22:10 am »

I will add that to my favorites list , it is a lot less money than locktite, Mick B.
Mick B.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.