Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sharing batteries  (Read 1961 times)

jim w

sharing batteries
« on: August 27, 2011, 10:30:55 pm »

In a model where I need to save weight is it possible to use say 4cell NiMH to power the receiver and the motor? Many thanks, jim

catengineman

Re: sharing batteries
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 10:39:48 pm »

Yes
if you have a Mtronik speed controller then it will do both your speed/ direction and also supply your rec with the voltage it needs

(other brands of controller are available)

jim w

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 10:43:17 pm »

Thanks, I have a 15A Viper so thats good news. Regards, jim

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 07:55:19 am »

Depending on the size of motor, it might be possible to just use the servo electronics as an ESC, either with the servo motor if you can figure a good way to couple the very short motor shaft, or a similar type with more shaft to couple to.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 12:56:18 pm »

I don't think that 4.8volts is enough for the BEC in a Viper to work reliably - if at all. If you are really tight for room/weight, look at some of the sub-sub C Cell packs, or 2/3 AA etc from Component Shop http://www.component-shop.co.uk/ You really need at least 6 volts, preferably 7.2v if you want to use the BEC.

Barrie

colin-d

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 01:22:39 pm »

you might just as well use a Lipo... that save loads of weight... and you can still run on 7.4volts..

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 06:42:57 pm »

What kind of boat is it?  Is the weight being saved for performance or just to stop it sinking?
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

jim w

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 08:39:30 pm »

Hi malcolm, two similar projects actually. My sons have a baby Severn and a small 'eBay' PT boat both of which are on their last legs with chipped plastic props, corroded pod motors and 27Meg radios which get drowned out at the local lake. Thet are both lovely models actually and I am trying to breathe more life into them. Both look pretty well loaded and unlikely to carry too much more weight, so I am trying to keep it simple ( as I am new to this too) and fairly inexpensive too! Thanks all for the help so far its been a fascinating hobby over the last few months and we have met some great people at Sheringham and Eaton Park.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 23 queries.