Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: More Computer Help!  (Read 2575 times)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
More Computer Help!
« on: August 29, 2011, 07:07:56 pm »

Dear All. Another rather embarrassing plea for assistance regarding the behaviour of the little green wigglies.
As many of you are aware, I've been sending photos as e-mail attatchments for quite a while now.....but today I came up against a real game stopper. Everything being sent "as normal".....and this is what I got:-
     < C:\fakepath\tiger.jpg Remove>
"Tiger" being a photo name. The word "Remove" came up in underlined red.
I haven't the faintest idea why this has happened to a perfectly routine e-mail. Any ideas?
I do hope it's not 'cos I is "getting on a bit". Cheers. Bryan Young.
Notes from a simple seaman

The long Build

Re: More Computer Help!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 07:32:44 pm »

Looks like other people have had the problem..

See Link

http://www.google.co.uk/support/forum/p/gmail/thread?tid=53bb7c88295d36e4&hl=en

dondecap

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 06:33:17 am »

hi guys,
leave IE alone and get a proper browser firefox and the like, far quicker and really secure

regards
don

barryfoote

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 07:57:23 am »

Bryan,

It could be Internet Explorer. The thing does have many problems and so I dumped it and now use Google Chrome with no problems at all.

Give it a go and try a change...

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 08:52:50 am »

I go with Footski, Bryan. I have used Firefox for ages - anything has got to be better than IE  >:-o

Mike

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 09:03:52 am »

i run firefox on home pc and my laptop,,    fantastic,  much much better than w.i.e.  :-)) faster smoother and no problems  :-)) :-)) :-))

sumo74

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 10:25:34 am »

I agree , I dumped  Internet explorer and use Firefox  . :-))

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 11:28:25 am »

Opera, if you want speed, standards compatibility and an early go at the features all the other browsers copy two or three versions later.....  O0 O0

(but stay away from IE, whatever you do.....)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 12:19:00 pm »

>>:-( guys....running IE8 on Windows 7 Ultimate [for 2 years] has been the most ROCK stable system & platform I have used in 15 years

I have found the combination superior in stability than when running [WinXP Professional + IE5 or and IE6]

Thankfully  :-)) I was never subjected to the idiocy & contempt of Microsoft's VISTA  <:( [on my home PC] as a technical improvement on Windows XP.........Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

The long Build

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 12:21:39 pm »

As Above   %) :-))

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 01:42:01 pm »

>>:-( guys....running IE8 on Windows 7 Ultimate [for 2 years] has been the most ROCK stable system & platform I have used in 15 years

I have found the combination superior in stability than when running [WinXP Professional + IE5 or and IE6]

I don't think anyone would disagree that the most recent Microsoft offering is better than earlier Microsoft offerings. Mind you, thats because Microsoft code has been appalling in the past...

But is current Microsoft code better than the competition?  (ducks to avoid missiles....) %% %% %%

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 02:54:47 pm »

If sending emails, talk of IE, firefox, chrome, opera etc may well be redundant.  I used to use Outlook Express for email, but when they gave up supporting my hotmail accounts and their alternative offering of Windows Live failed to work properly, I shifted to Thunderbird.  This needed a workaround back then, but the new versions are good - it sits there and does its job like it should.

For a browser, I use IE8 for shopping/financial stuff because it works solidly and competently and I am used to it, for browsing I have Chrome, because it works well at the level I need.  I ditched firebox because of its habit of not only everlastingly wanted to update itself, but always wanted to brag about it, telling me how wonderful it was.  That, and buying anything through it was a pain, very few vendors having software that worked with it.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 03:25:40 pm »

.... and buying anything through it was a pain, very few vendors having software that worked with it.

That is a key problem issue for the web.

Microsoft web page generators used to produce non-standard web pages, which would only work properly with Internet Explorer, in an attempt to maintain their monopoly. If something breaks nowadays it may be because the web page is poorly written, but it is more likely to be because the page is written in a non-standard way for IE.

Here is a link for people to test if their current browser matches the W3C standards - http://acid3.acidtests.org/ Unfortunately, thereis no easy way to get people to write web pages to these standards.

I use Opera because it is fast, very standards-compliant, and has high levels of default security. But that can cause problems sometimes in a non-standard world. For instance, a little while ago one of the major banks lost its certificate revocation service when a server went down. This checks, if you submit a valid security certificate as part of your bank sign-on process, that the valid certificate has not been compromised by a hacker and revoked. It is a standard check which all browsers should do, and they should fail the transaction if they cannot do it. However, most browsers let the transaction pass - only Opera refused to do so. The net result was that Opera got a lot of flak for apparently failing, from people who did not understand what the problem was....     

pettyofficernick

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 05:24:08 pm »

Firefox all the time, tried the rest and allways went back to the firey fox, never had a problem with online purchasing, photos or email ( I have used hotmail for donkeys years with no probs.) :-)) :-)) :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.