Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Comet Elenin  (Read 1838 times)

HawkEye

Comet Elenin
« on: August 29, 2011, 07:08:36 pm »

A small (ish) comet discovered late last year was due to breeze past us (in front of our orbit) late October of this year at a distance of some 22,000,000 MILES, many people have attached all sorts of doom and gloom to this visitor and there are copious amounts of such video's on utube.

But NASA maintained that there was no threat at all and people would be able to watch the visitor pass on it's way possibly with the naked eye.

Today things may have changed, the comet appears to be breaking apart, it's estimated nucleus is 6 - 7 miles in diameter ( not verified by nasa ). If this is indeed breaking up then the implications are seriously worrying, debris may change course / slow down, making late October a cometary minefield....

Nasa orbit diagram ( uses Java )
http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sstr=C%2F2010%20X1;orb=1;cov=0;log=0;cad=0#orb

Astronomer website
http://members.westnet.com.au/mmatti/sc.htm

HawkEye

nhp651

Re: Comet Elenin
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 07:36:46 pm »

well. if my time's up, it's up, and there's sod all any of us mere mortals can do........probably devine retribution for the way we treat this planet anyway..............
rock on tommy. %% %% %%

pugwash

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 07:58:05 pm »

Well we have most qualifications on the forum, I suppose we have to have a prophet of doom as well.

Geoff

Patrick Henry

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 08:59:49 pm »

Wonder if I've got time to finish my current build?

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 10:25:47 pm »

...debris may change course / slow down, making late October a cometary minefield....

And how, precisely, do fragments do that enough to cause us a threat?

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

brianB6

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 12:32:40 am »

Depends on where they land and how big they are.
Remember the Siberian explosion which is now thought to be the remains of a small comet.
Bring back the dinosaurs.

brianB6

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 02:10:22 pm »

Well Thank you!! <:(

Here we were, ready to mimic Private Fraser's "We're All DOOMED" with appropriate eye-rolling and gestures but you have to budgeon us with facts?   >>:-(

What is the (meteorite bombarded) world coming to if hearsay, exaggeration, wishful thinking and panic mongering are to go out of fashion?

Time to start a new scare story....

Barry M

HawkEye

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 08:35:41 pm »

Well we have most qualifications on the forum, I suppose we have to have a prophet of doom as well.

Geoff

Lol pugwash " prophet of doom", %% I like that, I'll make myself a badge , There's many arguments to both sides of this infamous comet and probably the best place to be is on the fence,  I won't mention what a couple of Russian astronomers think  :o , but at least the answer is only a few weeks away.

Take Care
HawkEye
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.556 seconds with 22 queries.