Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fleetscale Type 23 1/96 scale blog  (Read 7919 times)

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
Fleetscale Type 23 1/96 scale blog
« on: August 29, 2011, 07:15:29 pm »

Hi all,

I have been working on a Fleetscale Type 23 1/96 scale build, this is my 1st time modelling any type of large scale ship as a semi scratch build.

Thus I thought I would do a blog on it as I went to help fellow 1st timers as I will blog my mistakes aswell as any hints I come across. I came up with the idea as I wanted somewhere I could keep all my stuff together so I can go over it all for my next build.

If your interested please have a look, as I say I am new to this type of modelling thus any suggestions are more than welcome. Please feel free to leave a comment on the blog.

http://pittnuma-type23.blogspot.com/
Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do. Robert A Heinlein.

horatio123

Re: Fleetscale Type 23 1/96 scale blog
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 01:43:44 pm »

I built HMS Lancaster using the Fleetscale Hull same construction methods as you . Getting the 7 degree lean on the superstructure is fun !  The model is great , runs well if you get ballasting right . Attached a  of photo

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 07:38:58 pm »

Thanks, cracking model you have there.

what battery did you use out of curiosity? Pretty much decided 6V 4.5ah, don't suppose you have a pic of how you set her up?
Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do. Robert A Heinlein.

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 07:30:53 pm »

Few updates done and my 1st float test/waterline test in the bath...

No SS Titanic thankfully, no pics though apologies for that.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 09:14:23 pm »

I built HMS Lancaster using the Fleetscale Hull same construction methods as you . Getting the 7 degree lean on the superstructure is fun !  The model is great , runs well if you get ballasting right . Attached a  of photo

Very nice!  :-))

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 03:17:19 pm »

Struggling with the citadel at the moment, trying to get the angles correct on the aft section of the citadel is proving strangely tricky. The pieces I cut do not match, after a number of tries. Starting to wonder about the cad drawing for this piece.

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 11:17:19 pm »

Took a wee break from building the Citadel after having problems with the aft section of the Citadel.

So feeling reinvigorated after a break I thought I would see what the score is with the forward Citadel. The aft section of the Citadel is causing me soooooo many pains. I sat down this evening at about 8 O'clock to sort once and for all the Citadel, it either went together or spontaneously combusted!

Well at 10 O'clock the wife walks in after my 300th expletive and says what's up and I retort with my sternest face...

"Well there's no use me explaining it, you won't be interested or understand"....She takes 1 look at it, looks up at the plans, back down to my creation and says....

Wait for it.... jh

"Well you daft apeth, you've got the sides on upside down...no wonder it doesn't fit." n promptly walked out...

It's going to cost me for years is this!!!!

Note to self, reference Sheet 2 of 3 of the plans does greatly help here! It makes the fact you have a piece on upside down again so much easier to see! That is the reason I could not get the rear part to align properly, I just never saw it...There's no hope for me! Think I shall rename her Titanic, Argyll is doomed!!!

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 11:36:59 pm »

Thanks, cracking model you have there.

what battery did you use out of curiosity? Pretty much decided 6V 4.5ah, don't suppose you have a pic of how you set her up?

Horatios comments on the SRCMBC website.

The model is built on a Fleetscale GRP hull, with some Sirmar fittings; the rest is scratch built using plastic card sheet, brass rod, etc. etc. She has JJC sound modules for main gun, siren, sonar and Gas Turbine, twin screws with individual speed controls and Prop Shop five blade brass props. Scale is 1/96.

http://www.srcmbc.org.uk/photo_galleries/boat_page.php?v1=HMS%20Lancaster&v2=HMS_Lancaster&v3=David%20McN-Taylor&v4=gin_davidmt&v5=1&v6=1&v7=0&v8=gi_warships&v9=Warship
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 08:18:06 am »

Many thanks, some cracking models there, interesting bit on the sound, was wondering about that  :-)

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 12:23:06 am »

Stern

More SuperStructures

Mr Pooky checking on the build

Aft Hanger

Running Gear

Carrying on from where I am now.....

Bases for the window wipers created out of 1.0mm styrene, cut to 10.8mm long by 1.7mm wide, wiper motor housings cut to 4mm out of 1.5mm Styrene.
Not doing the actual wiper - too thin, unless I get a brain wave.
Still to shape n sand.
Rear S/S behind bridge now sanded down.

Current

Done a bit more to the model, looks like I'm going to have to figure a way of powering the radar, will have to have the shaft going through the bridge though..which is a downer..Any bright ideas, I was planning on putting glass in it?

Love filler!!!

Found a bargain on ebay :D Could not pass it up, was blown away by the price. So she may well have sound...
Put it on my blog.
http://pittnuma-type23.blogspot.com/2011/10/bargain-on-ebay.html

Bases for the window wipers created out of 1.0mm styrene, cut to 10.8mm long by 1.7mm wide, wiper motor housings cut to 4mm out of 1.5mm Styrene.
Not doing the actual wiper - too thin, unless I get a brain wave.
Still to shape n sand.
Rear S/S behind bridge now sanded down.

Sanded, edged and glued in place.

Building the forward Mast for the Citadel.

Easier than I thought so far, especially if you use the CAD drawings.
As you can see the mast is built out of 4 sides of styrene, the top mast resin piece is supplied by Fleetscale. Think I will drill out the centre to remove some of the weight, ah, maybe not, I have to get the shaft for the radar motor through that.

Not glued, starting on the base now.

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 11:46:48 pm »

Oooh, I would have taken you up on that, but I would not get around to her for too long, Leander next then a 45..
If you don't get any takers here, these guys would I am sure be interested..
We have a scratch built Hermes and Nimitz in 1/72!!!

http://modelwarshipsuk.informe.com/forum/

Starting detailing the Bridge.

Wanted to do this as I want to get the roof detailing done aswell, this will determine the clearance for the Pulleys for the 1008 Radar mounted on the top of the bridge.

Decided to do the consoles in 2 sections, the flat parts 1st then angled to go ontop (should make more sense when I get a little further on in the build.

As you can see I have marked the areas for detailing, I don't have any L bracket styrene in 0.5 so I made my own...As I do not have the exact measurements of the consoles I am working from detailed photos working at 5mm x 5mm for the base in 0.5mm Styrene.

Then the console's on top, the free standing units are 5mm x 7mm.

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 09:26:45 pm »

My new deck arrived today. I have done a review on the deck. It is a superb deck, detailing is more prominent and more important for me it is flat and of an even thickness which will lend itself well for putting a camber on.

http://pittnuma-type23.blogspot.com/2011/11/new-deck-arrives.html

horatio123

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 04:24:54 pm »

See what !i mean about all the fun of setting the superstructure at 7 degrees !
Sorry I missed your question re the set up  . I do not have a photo  but I have one battery per motor ( 7.2 volts ) Sound speaker is below the funnel casing and the vents were fitted with open grills to let the sound out  I fitted JJC units which are now no longer available sadly . the gun is fitted with the JJC " train and fire" module .  One Rudder channel for rudder , two for speed controls (P&S) , one for sound module (siren , sonar ) , one for gun  . Gas turbine sound linked to one speed controller only so model can run one one engine under electric power as if she is "sub hunting" . Hope this helps.

I am currently building HMS Dauntless Type 45 on a Sirmar Hull (even more interesting superstructure shapes!!!) 

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 08:03:50 pm »

Finally got a chance to get near the model, updated the blog with pics of the parts ordered from Fleetscale and an update as to why I have not been modelling for a while...,
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.