Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: which one ?  (Read 2462 times)

neilb

which one ?
« on: August 30, 2011, 05:54:26 pm »

Thinking of using Balsa for my 1.3meter cat that i am going to build now  i have been told to fibre glass the inside with cloth and resin and just resin the outer when done a few time ready for spray is this right

Neil ?

Of topic would you use ply for a build size like this and the power that i will be using 2 brushless motors TURNIGY 600 4030-1400KV motors:

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
Re: which one ?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 06:54:26 pm »

It is of course your choice but i would tissue cloth and resin the outside.Its this surface that will get the knocks.to resin the inside is up to you,if you feel water is going to get in then then maybe.What worrys me is that any water penetration may cause problems if it cant dry out because of resin both sides.So a definate maybe or a positive might.John.

kiwi

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 08:36:26 pm »

Using Epoxy resin, do as John suggested, however, I would use the epoxy to glue it all together, and seal the whole hull with epoxy, inside and out as you go, tissuing only the outside surface. This will seal the wood and it should outlast all of us.
Can't do this with Polyester as its not vapour proof, is water soluble and is why the use of gell coat to seal is required.
cheers
kiwi

neilb

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 07:09:36 am »

thanks i am still learning

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 06:57:17 pm »

You do realise that by the time you have payed for materials and built the cat you could have just bought a bare glass hull in fact id bet the glass hull will work out cheaper.
Mart
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.