Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: M Tronicks Digisound diesel sound unit.  (Read 8745 times)

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
M Tronicks Digisound diesel sound unit.
« on: August 30, 2011, 06:16:18 pm »

Hi for those modelers who saw the sound unit from M tronicks on the Kirklees' stand I can now confirm the unit is now fitted in my fishing vessel and it works a treat. No problems with sound level on 7.2 volts and the sound changes with little throttle movement, easy to fit with servo tape. All connections to the unit are easy to install.  I have not used a normal switch to turn the unit on and off, I have used a latching electronic unit instead. The unit can be used with 5-6-7-8-9 pole motors and the volume pot on the unit is waterproof. This unit is designed for small  inshore vessels  that need a diesel sound unit. The start up sound is very good also. The few remaining questions that you asked have been passed on to M tronicks.  I have dealt with most of the questions that were asked at the weekend. Will try on Sunday and put a further post on.  Possibly some pictures to follow.

Stan :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) 

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
M Tronicks Digisound diesel sound unit.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 06:49:17 pm »

Information. For any visitors that saw this unit at Haydock Park this weekend please see post under commercial shows. Post in Model Boat Convention

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
Re: The Model Boat Convention Mtronicks digiSound5m
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 09:53:40 pm »

are there any vids of it working or links to it ?

Peter

HUNTER

Re: The Model Boat Convention Mtronicks digiSound5m
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 10:43:49 am »

Hi for those modelers who saw the sound unit from M tronicks on the Kirklees' stand I can now confirm the unit is now fitted in my fishing vessel and it works a treat. No problems with sound level on 7.2 volts and the sound changes with little throttle movement, easy to fit with servo tape. All connections to the unit are easy to install.  I have not used a normal switch to turn the unit on and off, I have used a latching electronic unit instead. The unit can be used with 5-6-7-8-9 pole motors and the volume pot on the unit is waterproof. This unit is designed for small  inshore vessels  that need a diesel sound unit. The start up sound is very good also. The few remaining questions that you asked have been passed on to M tronicks.  I have dealt with most of the questions that were asked at the weekend. Will try on Sunday and put a further post on.  Possibly some pictures to follow.

Stan :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) 
Hi Stan,
What has changed with the unit since last Sunday then?
Graham

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: M Tronicks Digisound diesel sound unit.
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 09:17:43 am »

Details now on Mtroniks website:  

http://www.mtroniks.net/details1.asp/ProductID/733/digisound5m.htm

The digiSOUND5m is the new marine sound module from Mtroniks Ltd. It is the worlds first 100% waterproof, plug n play sound module designed to take the hassle out of giving your model a realistic sound! The sound module requires NO programming or set up, it comes with a realistic sound pre-installed leaving just the installation to complete before you can get under way! The unit comes complete with built in amplifier, wiring loom and even a 75.0mm diameter waterproof speaker!
You simply install the unit in your model and go! There is no complicated PC interface to deal with or complicated set up, you REALLY do just have to plug it in and go!!! Add this to the legendary Mtroniks waterproof construction and you really don't need to look any further!

The digiSOUND sound module for model boats will operate between 6.0 and 12.0V

This first version of the digiSOUND5m is available with a Diesel tug sound effect, more sounds will become available over time, please keep an eye on our webpage for further updates!

Currently available sounds: Diesel Tug

Detailed specification of module and speaker

Module power output: 5 Watts RMS @ 12V (4 ohms), distortion typically 0.1%

Speaker rating: 2.5 Watts RMS (8 ohms), It is possible to run 2 speakers in parallel

Notes on speaker performance.

The 75.0mm speaker included with your module is waterproof so it is safe to use in your model boat, you should always install your speaker into a suitable enclosure (somewhere in the upper surface of the hull) to ensure the best power handling, frequency and bass response.
Speaker systems with a broader frequency response which include tweeters and larger woofers are available as optional extras, please contact Mtroniks for details.

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 04:03:17 pm »

Hi Martin I hope to try the unit on Sunday weather permitting. I have connected the unit via a Action two way latching switch this turns on the power to sound system . I have not used the speaker supplied but fitted a 2in one instead and it sounds alright. Power supply to unit is taken from a 7.2 volt 4300 m/a battery this battery also provides power to drive motor.The unit is small compact and easy to connect up. Two cables need to be taken from the motor to the unit to allow it to change pitch when the motor revs increase.

Stan

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 04:11:46 pm »

Anyone having problems with the Mtronics website?
I can get on to it but then no response

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 06:03:00 pm »

No  just been on m tronicks web site.

Stan

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 06:09:24 pm »

Am i correct this unit is not real sound? But an electricly produced sound. The website doesnt really make this clear.If this is so is it any better than existing and in some cases cheaper units? John.

ACTion

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 06:19:31 pm »

John
I too wondered about the words "realistic" and "derived from" in the blurb. The old-fashioned Robbe, RAMTRACK and Action simulated engine sounds use motor terminal connections to vary the sound pitch, so I suspect this unit may be similar to those as opposed to say our P100, MSC's SFX6.4 or the Graupner digital unit - all of which use the Rx signal. It certainly doesn't look like you could use it with brushless motors, but I wait to be corrected on all of this.
Dave M

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 06:23:29 pm »

Thanks Dave. I wondered as well which is why i posted. John.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2011, 06:27:42 pm »

All wondering ... and want to hear it!   O0
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

tugboyben

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 01:47:58 pm »

Hi martin & mayhem members

Got video this morning of the mtroniks digisound 5m unit if you would like more info please PM stan he is a mayhem member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TSboTwSNZY

jason

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 02:15:01 pm »

HI Tugboyben and fellow members. Its back to the drawing board with the speaker i have used. I have not tried the speaker that comes with the unit  but i will install this and try again.

Stan

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 04:07:42 pm »

Hi martin & mayhem members

Got video this morning of the mtroniks digisound 5m unit if you would like more info please PM stan he is a mayhem member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TSboTwSNZY

jason

Impressive! The instructions seem to indicate there is no option to modify or change the sound, is that right?

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 06:13:51 pm »

Hi Martin. The unit in my fishing boat is a small diesel sound something you may find in coastal fishing boats. You cannot change the pitch of the sound but you can turn up or down the volume. I understand other sounds will be available in the future.  It may be advisable to contact M Tronicks  direct to see what future sounds  may be available. I have tried various speakers this afternoon and I have gone back to my own. The speaker supplied seems to work fine with unit but I have opted to fit my own which is mounted in a plastic container and this does help to give better sound output.  Like most units the postion of the speaker and size of the speaker will determine the sound quality.  It is a case of trial and error I am afraid. Next Trail sailing will be at York Model Boat Club On Sunday 25 September with batteries fully charged, more information to follow.

Stan :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 08:29:55 pm »

I agree with you about the speaker being the most important factor here.  It would need a bass reflex action to deepen the sound.

As this is not available on such a small size, may I recommend fitting the largest one you can (for the boat) into a sealed wooden box with a circular opening for the front of the speaker.

It could be mounted so the it projects the sound along the boat towards the stern and when the cabin is fitted it will increase the depth of sound.

It's certainly a nice sounding unit.  Thanks for the film.  :-))

ken

(ex  Hammond Organ engineer)

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2011, 09:21:42 pm »

( My mate Mark has a Hammond organ Ken... what a sound! )

http://youtu.be/Jan-SeIwU48

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2011, 10:13:17 am »

Here's a sound unit that will 'Blow your mind'.  Used on 'Top of the Pops' all those years ago.

I can't get the theory of sound to work very well in a tiny boat.  %)

Sorry to sidetrack your thread Stan. :embarrassed:

ken

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2011, 10:42:33 am »

HI Tug Kenny. You would need a big boat for that one.

Stan

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2011, 10:44:21 am »

{-)   :}

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.