Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Beagle 1:36 scratch r/c  (Read 2396 times)

Jpop Andrew

HMS Beagle 1:36 scratch r/c
« on: September 01, 2011, 11:18:54 pm »

After many years of pondering the idea of making a radio controlled model ship, I finally decided in October of 2010 to pull the trigger. The historical ship I chose was the HMS Beagle, the survey ship that made three extensive ocean voyages, the most famous being the second voyage with Charles Darwin onboard. The Beagle was one of over a hundred "Cherokee class" brigs commissioned by the Royal Navy.

The goal was to make a fun, working model of the Beagle, with radio controls for her rudder, sails and some cool extras, and sail her like a proper square rig sailing ship. After eight months of research and building, and more than a few setbacks, my Beagle finally made her maiden voyage on July 2, 2011.

Here are a few pics from her first deep water sail (meaning if she sunk I probably couldn't get her back) at a place just north of Indianapolis called the Hourglass Pond:

I've been updating my build every week or so on my website if you want to take a look at the step by step build up to this point: http://www.andrewaasmith.com/HMSBeagle/Intro.php

Right now I'm working on several things.  First is installing a bilge pump and getting her fore and main course sails more functional before her next sail.  Obviously there are still tons of details to be done, the most fun will probably be a firing cannon for her forecastle.  I'm hoping to have one working sometime in October with help.

Jpop Andrew

Re: HMS Beagle 1:36 scratch r/c
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 11:23:12 pm »

While I work on my Beagle I also bought a V-32 sailboat from a member of our local r/c club, Indy Admirals.  She's been pretty fun and easy to sail.

rmaddock

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 11:38:52 am »

Hi Andrew!

Well done on the Beagle. That's quite an ambitious subject for a first model but she looks good.

Robert.

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 07:07:43 pm »

Very nice for a first attempt, you might find some helpful infomation in Yachts & Sail R&D ,Thread ...Briganteen Freebooter
Jimmy
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 21 queries.