Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Saito V4  (Read 1421 times)

Neil

Saito V4
« on: September 02, 2011, 09:26:24 am »

Hello all,

I recently purchased a Saito V4 that wouldn't run.
I soon found that the bolt that goes through the two "rod ends", that operate the piston valves was bent.
You will know what happened when I tried to straiten it. Yep, it broke off.It's brass after all, (maybe gunmetal).
I have searched the Internet trying to find someone who will supply Saito spare parts, with no result.
Plenty will sell me Saito engines, whether steam or I.C, but no spare parts.
Can anyone help me as to where I can procure such a thing?
It's a brass bolt, 2mm diam, x approx 12 mm long (it's broken, so I can't give the exact length), with approx 3mm of thread.
The important thing is that the shank is thread free, as that is the bearing surface of the "rode ends" that operate the Piston Valves.

I could measure things exactly if someone could help me.

Thanks.

Neil.

kiwimodeller

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Saito V4
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 10:37:33 am »

Neil, I cant help with the bolt but am happy to measure an unbroken one when I take my engine out of the boat in a couple of weeks time if that helps. Do you have the instructions and parts drawing. If not send me a P M with your address or email and I will post or scan you a set. Cheers, Ian.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 11:32:15 am »

>:-o ...Neil ...the second most expensive part of your Saito V4 engine is going to be the replacement M2 precision bolt  >:-o >>:-( <*< <:(

I have a Saito engine & have replaced some mounting bolts only

Typically I find the shank of the M3 hex head bolt as 2.94 mm & the actual thread as ~~~2.90 mm

I understand from other aero modelers that Saito machine tolerancing is in the highest order  :-X

We have another member in NZ  {-) "kiwimoddler" who I believe has the same V4 Saito engine.........

Possibly he may be able to offer dimensions....

Either way....you are going to need to find a competent  toolmaker machinist that will machine 1'off's without charging an arm & a leg <:( ........ Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 12:18:51 pm »

Neil,

When you have detailed dimensions etc let me know and I will see if I can help you.

No promises at this stage cos 2mm is pretty small to machine and thread accurately without bending it.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Neil

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 09:43:14 am »

Thank you all for the replies,

Kiwimodeller for the offer of measurement. Thanks, I'd appreciate it and the paperwork, just as soon as I work out how to pm you. (I just tried, I guess I'll find out if I was successful).

Derekwarner decoy thanks for the info. As you say, finding someone competent will be the challenge. All the ones I know who were able to do this have passed to the great workshop in the sky.

Boatmadman (Sounds like me). Kiwimodeller has offered to measure the bolt for me, and Derekwarner decoy has offered some help too.

I think I've worked out the PM business, so, I'll email you all.

Thanks again for your help and please forgive my tardiness in replying, I've been in hospital again for the 22nd time in 2.5 years. The old bod is starting to let me down.

Regards.

Neil.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 23 queries.