Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some images that explain how Sailing Trawlers and Side Trawlers work their gear  (Read 4549 times)

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
Davie Tait,
Scotland

Myansome

:-)) These are brill!
Cheers, Dave!
John

john44

Great images Dave.
Have you got any of modern trawlers using net crane & gantry
or how the net is routed from the winch to the gantry/crane etc.

john

rmaddock

Fantastic diagrams Dave, very clear. The book on Morecambe Prawners I'm ready talks a lot about the trawling gear and includes a few pictures but these add lots of great detail as to how the rig was actually deployed.

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer

I'll have a look through my photos later John i'll see what I've got
Davie Tait,
Scotland

john44

Cheers Dave.

john

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem

Awesome diagrams Dave.
 Very impressive artwork, by your own hand?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer

Scanned out of old out of prints books Martin.

The top 2 out of Sailing Trawlers by Colin Elliot : http://www.cotswoldinternetbooks.com/si/BOOKS138197I.html
The trawling ones out of : Steam Fishermen in old Photographs also by Colin Elliot : http://www.hanselledbooks.co.uk/steam-fishermen-in-old-photographs-19768-p.asp

Davie Tait,
Scotland

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer

Boats that use net drums and powerblock net haulers

The drum has 2 ( either chain or wire ) fairly long cables with a G quick connector at the end. When the net is hauled the initial sweeps ( called bridle in the diagram above between the door and the net ) go onto the winch and has an o connector which the G link goes into ( the end of the bridle/sweep has a G connector in it ). The winch then slacks back until the net is hanging on the net drum cables which are then hauled up , once the wires from the winch are up to the boat they are then disconnected and the net then hauled up onto the net drum.

Once you get about 75% of the net up onto the drum the powerblock ( the big roler on the end of the crane ) is used to scoop the net and take it to the side of the boat so the rest is hauled by hand through the block before the cod end is hauled aboard and emptied.

following images hosted on Trawlerphotos and linked to here using img tags

Twin rig trawling uses a 3rd trawl wire which is used to tow a heavy weight called a clump between the nets. In this method instead of 1 net its 2 and its the same procedure as above except for having one more wire and the clump to connect to.

Some boats using white fish trawls haul the net right up to the blocks using the winch , having 2 connectors on the wires which makes hauling the net onto and off the drum a lot faster ( not got 25 or 30 fathom of wires to haul before the net )

couple photos of model trawls in a flume tank to show how a net looks on the bottom

Davie Tait,
Scotland
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.