Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Has anybody done a build thread for Model Slipway's Assurance Tug?  (Read 4414 times)

Spook

Has anybody done a build thread for Model Slipway's Assurance Tug?
« on: September 03, 2011, 05:23:18 pm »

I'm eagerly awaiting the knock on the door by a person with a big box containing the abovementioned kit and I'm hoping that, if I run into difficulty, I can refer to a build that somebody else has done.

That said, I'll post pics of my build progress in the forum once I get started.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Has anybody done a build thread for Model Slipway's Assurance Tug?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 09:52:17 pm »

Please do.   I for one would love to see it.    :-))

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 11:04:09 pm »

There is a build on Model Boats web site in their digital archive August 2010.

http://www.modelboats.co.uk/members/digitaleditions/popup.asp?t=2&i=903

This only works if you are a MB subscriber. :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 06:18:05 am »

The Assurance build was done over 2 issues, August and September 2010. You can also order the back issues of Model Boats magazine from the links below. They would be helpful with your build, Dave.  :-))

August back issue:       http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/product/30810/model-boats-magazine-august-2010
September back issue:  http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/product/31776/model-boats-magazine-september-2010

Spook

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 10:50:24 am »

Thanks guys. I was hoping to see if one of you had done this build and posted a thread including helpful tips and nonsense along the way.

I'm still waiting for the box to arrive. Once I've had a look at the bits and, more importantly, the instructions, I'll decide whether to buy the mags with the reviews or just go it alone and see what happens.  ok2

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 10:55:26 am »

Given what you are spending on the model I would say it is always best to get hold of any reviews as they can often throw light on areas where the instructions may be unclear and warn you of any prospective pitfalls. Model Slipway are among the best of the kit manufacturers for quality but you can never have too much advice to draw upon to ensure that you make the most of the kit.

Colin

Spook

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 06:18:30 pm »

That's the one thing that bothers me, Colin. Having built two Model Slipway boats, I have to agree that the quality is excellent, but I have encountered one or two errors and made more than a few myself (see my 'Trent Pics for Onslow' thread). So I might as well splash out for the two mags - it's less than a tenner for the two and may help me avoid putting my foot in it  :-)

Spook

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 08:57:31 pm »

So, I ordered the Assurance kit on 30/08 and the two Model Boats mag back issues on 06/09.

Still waiting for both *sigh*  :((

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 10:12:32 pm »

Assurance is very similar to the Envoy which Im just finishing off (my thread is in Working Vessels R&D). I believe several parts are used in both?

I found drilling out the prop tube exit to be very difficult. The MSW notes say to drill out with a large drill! I decided to start small and step up in sizes. I used about 8 different drill sizes but the last one still cracked the hull as the moulding is very narrow where the prop tube exits. You cant use a dremel either as the hole has to be drilled quite deep into the hull cavity. I'd probably suggest opening the prop tube exit with a couple of drill then use a rat tail file. Even so, I'd be very careful you dont crack the hull in that area.

My hull was a little narrow or, the printed  rear deck card too wide. The instructions say dont cut down the deck card but I couldnt force the hull wide enough apart to get the uncut deck in. MSW say to build the rear deck and this forces the hull out. I couldnt get mine to go in and had visions of damaging the gunwhales \ bulwarks if I forced it too much so, decided to trim the rear deck a little to fit.

The hull is made from coarse fg mat so the bulwarks need a lot of sanding and filling with body filler.

The Envoy superstructure is an fg moulding whereas Assurance uses plasticard.

The rigging (which Im just doing) is a real nightmare. Envoy has no instructions for the rigging for the ships boats so Im not happy with my effort. Rigging for the masts is shown on the plan but now I've come to do it, found out there are no tie off points for some items such as the ensign, mast derrick and stern mast light. Never mind, I have managed to tie these off on the mast itself and they dont look too bad.

The rudder pintle is a right pain to fit so there is no binding but with a lot of care, attention and time, you can get it sorted.

All in all, Envoy is a good kit and seeing as assurance uses many of the same parts, should also make a nice project.

Spook

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 08:09:07 pm »

Thanks for the tips, especially about the hole for the prop tube. I can't wait to get started.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 23 queries.