Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SHIPS SIRENS  (Read 6267 times)

polaris

• Shipmate
SHIPS SIRENS
« on: September 03, 2011, 09:46:41 pm »

Dear All,

Whilst I have posted similar in the past, I think this Link is somewhat ultimate... you decide :-)) Supply otherwise if I am to be corrected!!!!!!!!!! Please!!!!

http://www.soundeffects.ch/surround-sound-effects-_e.php?soundeffects=Siren, Ship&Category=Siren, Ship&Start=0

My all time favourite has always been the Queen Mary... what a vessel.......

As to the 4'th from last, anyone can correct me if I am wrong, but Liverpool had the habit at new year, that all vessels blew their sirens at 12 midnight, and this sounds right?

I hope you might all enjoy this Link, I think it rather good..........?

Regards, Bernard

polaris

• Shipmate
Re: SHIPS SIRENS
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 09:50:39 pm »

...oops, not ships, this one, don't know where this rubbish came from.... will get right shortly.....

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 09:54:24 pm »

... look, everything is there!!!!! But seek out the ships sirens. All is present, including anything RN. Bernard

http://www.soundeffects.ch/surround-sound-effects-_e.php?Category=Siren,%20Ship

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 09:55:28 pm »

Right, got it right this time! :-)) QE2 lovely, but wow Queen Mary... eh! :-))

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 10:06:46 pm »

... oh, and by the way, you seemingly can have a bit of fun by playing all sorts together in line!!!!! Just try it........ What a marvelous website for anyone wanting to make model ship sirens! :-)) B.

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 10:11:33 pm »

...what better sound than the QM giving the three blast Fog Warning?

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 10:18:14 pm »

... there is nearly everything for anybody on this Link! Destryoer whoop, cruiser, and all else! B.

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 10:42:11 pm »

Dear All,

Right, my interest in all this stems from the fact that I am trying to find out what sirens HMS Belfast carried 1939 - 1945. As it stands, no-one can tell me (ex-RN or otherwise), and without my going to great depth on certain RN sites, I thought I would try all you knowledgeable people first just just in case a Mayhem member might have served on her.

Regards, Bernard

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 11:35:37 pm »

what better sound than the QM giving the three blast Fog Warning?

When the Queen Mary used to leave Southampton, the three blasts of her horn could be heard 10 kilometres away in Romsey.

The new Queen Mary 2 has the horn off of the original Queen Mary.

In Southampton all the ships in the docks still sound their sirens at midnight on new years eve Bernard..
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 11:48:54 pm »

Dear Dicky,

Per a prev. post a while ago with data sirens, RMS Q-M and other prev. vessels had more or less similar range... a bit of a 'standard' really.

I was not aware that QE2 (you might have meant this as opposed to a QM2? - I might be wrong?), since I thought the QM sirens were in a museum - per a prev. Name that Part).

By what you say, it sounds that all ships sounding sirens on NY Eve. is standard in all Ports anywhere? All my three turbos' go off in variable sequence anyway! - literally sound wise I add! :-)) - & can be heard at least six miles away!!! :o {-) Lot's of fun! O0 :-))

Getting back to the jist of all this... who can tell me what sirens Belfast carried?

Regards, Bernard

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 01:24:28 am »

Meeting of the Queens

On 23 February 2006, RMS Queen Mary 2 saluted her predecessor as she made her port of call in Los Angeles Harbor, while on a cruise to Mexico.
 Ship's horn

The salute was carried out with Queen Mary replying with her one working air horn in response to Queen Mary 2 sounding her combination of two brand new horns and an original 1934 Queen Mary horn (on loan from the City of Long Beach). Queen Mary originally had three whistles tuned to 55 Hz, a frequency chosen because it was low enough that the extremely loud sound of it would not be painful to human ears. Modern IMO regulations specify ships' horn frequencies to be in the range 70–200 Hz for vessels that are over 200 metres (660 ft) in length. Traditionally, the lower the frequency, the larger the ship. Queen Mary 2, being 345 metres (1,132 ft) long, was given the lowest possible frequency (70 Hz) for her regulation whistles, in addition to the refurbished 55 Hz whistle on permanent loan. 55 Hz is the lower bass "A" note found an octave up from the lowest note of a piano keyboard. The air-driven Tyfon whistle can be heard at least ten miles (16 km) away.]
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 11:21:10 am »

The Titanic had Three whistles sounding together. The bottom tone was C# and the top tone was G. No one knows what the middle tone was as it was lost to the elements.

Also worth mentioning was that they sounded different with steam going through them as compared to today's air driven ones.

You can hear a demonstration of the sound on You Tube when they showed the two original ones sounding at very low volume to protect them from cracking apart.

Very emotional .

ken

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6vdR5Hp91Y

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 12:16:07 pm »

Goodness Ken  :-X ........one would need "audiophiles ear"  to differentiate  betown or between the sounds offered  :kiss: ;D .........Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 12:40:45 pm »

It was standard regardless of port, to blow the whistle at midnight new year, along with sending the youngest crew member forward to ring the ships bell 16 times (8 for the old and 8 for the new)

Mike

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 08:10:32 pm »

Goodness Ken  :-X ........one would need "audiophiles ear"  to differentiate  between or between the sounds offered  :kiss: ;D .........Derek

Hi Derek.

I plan to generate the sound myself on a Wav file now I know the frequencies.   %)   Once an enthusiast, always an enthusiast.    ;)

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

wartsilaone

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2011, 09:07:19 pm »

Just spent the last half hour playing on this site. Fantastic.

Ali.

The long Build

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2011, 09:56:25 pm »

Meeting of the Queens

On 23 February 2006, RMS Queen Mary 2 saluted her predecessor as she made her port of call in Los Angeles Harbor, while on a cruise to Mexico.
 Ship's horn

The salute was carried out with Queen Mary replying with her one working air horn in response to Queen Mary 2 sounding her combination of two brand new horns and an original 1934 Queen Mary horn (on loan from the City of Long Beach). Queen Mary originally had three whistles tuned to 55 Hz, a frequency chosen because it was low enough that the extremely loud sound of it would not be painful to human ears. Modern IMO regulations specify ships' horn frequencies to be in the range 70–200 Hz for vessels that are over 200 metres (660 ft) in length. Traditionally, the lower the frequency, the larger the ship. Queen Mary 2, being 345 metres (1,132 ft) long, was given the lowest possible frequency (70 Hz) for her regulation whistles, in addition to the refurbished 55 Hz whistle on permanent loan. 55 Hz is the lower bass "A" note found an octave up from the lowest note of a piano keyboard. The air-driven Tyfon whistle can be heard at least ten miles (16 km) away.]

You don't need to tell me amout the Qeen Mary's Horne..  Spent a night on her a fortnight ago Never saw the signs about her sounding her horn at 6pm whilst we were at the bow.. :}
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 23 queries.