Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can You Identify This Engine?  (Read 1996 times)

Antique Model Toys

Can You Identify This Engine?
« on: September 04, 2011, 05:04:01 am »

Hi there,

I have a boat with an engine just like the one depicted in the attached pic (not my pic) with the exception being mine has a NON-RC carburetor--just a needle valve you turn.

I know it was built by Frog.  I know it's a diesel.  I BELIEVE it's 1.49cc.

But I'd like any help with the following questions:

1.  What YEAR is this Frog?

2.  Why can't we see the (2) notoriously-inadequate cylinder/cylinder head hold-down bolts, that I've been reading about, that made these earlier Frogs difficult to maintain a head seal on?  IOW, it appears the water jacket on this engine just SLIPS ON, over BOTH the cylinder and head, and I've never seen that before.  What am I missing?

3.  What is this engine worth, approximately, assuming the good compression indicates that it would run, and IF it is in good condition?

4.  Was this model RARE, at all?

5.  What this model known for anything (good, bad or indifferent)?

6.  Where were Frog diesels manufactured, in this era?

7. Can anyone link me to some specs or other info on this model of engine?  I'm curious about minimum idle RPM, normal cruising RPM, etc....

Link to someone else's near-identical engine.  Apologies to the owner of the pic--I'm just trying to gain some knowledge, here:

I don't know how to add photos, so you might have to copy and paste the above link.

Thanks to all!  O0

Antique Toy Models

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Can You Identify This Engine?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 06:50:23 am »

Hi, ATM

Its a Frog 1.5 CC diesel, sorry don't remember the actul designation, but somebody will.  I just sold my broken and air-cooled version earlier this year
A little Googling suggests its a 150R
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1054975&page=126
There is a engine test in this link, and some discussion - but please remember that ALL engine tests were positive in those days, even of real lemons :}
It might be worth knowing that Frog made several different 1.5 diesels

Attempting some answers to your questions:

1.  What YEAR is this Frog?

1960s from the top of my head.

2.  Why can't we see the (2) notoriously-inadequate cylinder/cylinder head hold-down bolts, that I've been reading about, that made these earlier Frogs difficult to maintain a head seal on?  IOW, it appears the water jacket on this engine just SLIPS ON, over BOTH the cylinder and head, and I've never seen that before.  What am I missing?

It doesnt have any cylinder bolts, notorious or otherwise.  The cylinder itself is screwed into thew crankcase (paper gasket, I think) and  the cover is screwed onto the outside of the cylinder.  In the air-coooled version it is a blue anodised finned cover into which the compression screw fits

Owners manual in
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1054975&page=126

3.  What is this engine worth, approximately, assuming the good compression indicates that it would run, and IF it is in good condition?
Sorry, no idea, but this one fetched £21
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110705693192

4.  Was this model RARE, at all?
No, not as a basic engine - I have never seen a water-cooled version, tho

5.  What this model known for anything (good, bad or indifferent)?
It was a very "cooking" engine with plain bearings.  The equivalent of the ED Hornet and ME Snipe

6.  Where were Frog diesels manufactured, in this era?

Sorry no idea, but  again Googling FROG might help
It did - Hinckley, Leics appears to be the answer

7. Can anyone link me to some specs or other info on this model of engine?  I'm curious about minimum idle RPM, normal cruising RPM, etc....

Minimum idle on a cooking Diesel is not really meaningful - they were not made to idle and radio was far in the future.  In fact the ability to idle would depend mainly on the load and fuel
I would guess 2 to 2.5 thousand rpm if you want it to pick up again
Max RPM as per the test

Link to someone else's near-identical engine.  Apologies to the owner of the pic--I'm just trying to gain some knowledge, here:

Hope this helps, a bit
andrew
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 21 queries.