Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ANY ONE BUILDING WW2 IJN SHIPS  (Read 7193 times)

tassie48

ANY ONE BUILDING WW2 IJN SHIPS
« on: March 11, 2010, 08:47:01 pm »

Hi guys any one else building IJN ww2 warships I like the shape and the paint jobs that some of these ships had IJN AKITSUSHIMA seaplane tender TONE and TAKAO ,YUKAKIZE all in 1/48 just interested if others modellers build these as well tassie48.

Boathound

Re: ANY ONE BUILDING WW2 IJN SHIPS
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 09:16:04 pm »

Would like to but having trouble getting started, like the look of the Fleetscale IJN cruiser hull but have no idea where I would get the fittings for it from. Would like to build Mogami class but building that trunked funnel from scratch seems daunting!

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 01:16:58 am »

I drew up plans and lines for the Minikaze class,.. but only ever got the model blocked out..
One of my friends, "Tachikaze" got his finished...

Also drew up plans, and lines, and built the T103 fast landing ship....

8)

Where are you getting your plans?  :-)

tassie48

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 01:11:09 am »

Umi great work good to see the IJN fleet showing up just started the IJN AKASHI frames a huge repair ship with  FOUR working cranes all in 1/48 tassie48.

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 03:35:48 am »

Love to see the engineering at the working cranes... 1/48th scale... a bit big for me.
What would you load or offload to your model?

I forgot to post a fleet pic from our 2004 1/72nd scale nationals...

Kinagusa
Kagero
Tachikaze
T103 LST

tassie48

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 04:32:02 am »

Umi the cranes all work the aft port one  carries a motorboat, the stb one has a set of torpedo tubes, the fwd main crane has a triple 25 mm gun replacement unit being refitted the fwd one has a pump and hose all to scale.All  brass cranes all with seperate r/c control with speed controllers for correct scale speed slewing etc keen to build her this ship repaired some ships during ww2 will keep you posted having the cranes CAD drawn as we speak. hooks from milled alloy the 1/48 is a great scale to work in even looked at YAMATO in 1/48 could not get some friends to help operate her my bigger models have a Skipper whom controls things Engineer to operate the props, Gunnery officer to man the guns this way we spread the cost and the fun to operate then we all swap positions. still keen on the ships the IJN AKITSUSHIMA is going to be my pride and joy built to museum quailty just for the rivet counters haha tassie48

marinemole

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 12:25:15 pm »

I have a 'pipe dream' of building the Fuso to 1:100 scale and have scaled up the Profile Morskie and Anatomy of the Ship drawings . I've actually started building the guns but there are a LOT of them. I'm hoping that if I put enough effort into the details I'll have a reasonable kit of parts which will force me to actually build a hull to take them. I have to say the Akitsushima looks a really interesting project and I got the PDF from Profile Morskie recently but have more than enough just started and half finished projects on the go already.

tassie48

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 08:52:15 pm »

Marinemole The FUSO I looked at her and was keen on her in 1/48 even had the plans blown up to 1/48 that bridge was the thing that hooked me as in to the model which stood out .You should build her in 1/100 the Akitsushima is a beauty the research i have done on her is up to four books the paint job is the thing that will set her off on the water I have scaled up the EMILY seaplane all ready even that is huge the crane will rock people have a counter weigh to show the correct lean when plane is slung over board tassie48.

marinemole

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 11:35:05 pm »

Long time since I initially replied to this post.

Couple of pictures of progress and whole album at

http://s669.photobucket.com/albums/vv59/carmanmole/Fuso/

Andy

Dreadstar

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 11:56:21 pm »

That's really coming along nicely Andy,well done mate.

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plastic Ship Kit Previews
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 06:29:51 pm »

The Fuso looks very impressive! Will you be building the hull plating from styrene, like the rest of the model? And are you building it as a static model? (there doesn't look like much room in the hull for radio or motors).

Not very original I know but I have the Doyusha 1/250 Yamato which I bought a few years ago as a static project - gave up on it due to the amount of scratchbuilding needed (the kit is awful compared to the Nichimo or Otaki ones) but I kept the gearbox, metal props and shafts so have thought about completing it as a R/C project. My scratchbuilding skills have improved since then so I might be able to complete it to a half-decent standard!
I also have a second-hand built Nichimo 1/200 Akizuki (most of the small details missing or broken, but the hull is sound and has the gearbox) which I've also thought about restoring as a RC model. Should be a challenge though due to the narrow beam + relatively small size. Has anyone else here successfully RCed one of the Nichimo 1/200 destroyer kits?

marinemole

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 10:05:42 pm »

The Fuso looks very impressive! Will you be building the hull plating from styrene, like the rest of the model? And are you building it as a static model? (there doesn't look like much room in the hull for radio or motors).

I had originally intended to plate the model in styrene and possibly use as a plug for a GRP hull. Now leaning towards infilling most of the hull with foam and skinning with fine fibre mat and resin. I have already started to cut apertures for batteries, drive train etc. My theory is why do we need a hollow canoe type hull on a model. If a disaster I will revert back to a static model.

Stick with the Yamato as it would make a fantastic model. Would love to build one at 1:100 but will have to concentrate on finishing the Fuso. Thanks for replying and hope that it will encourage other IJN fans to join in.

Andy

richtea

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 11:17:57 pm »

For more Japanese builds,
try modelwarships.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 23 queries.