Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Merchant Navy Seaman Records  (Read 1259 times)

chingdevil

Merchant Navy Seaman Records
« on: September 05, 2011, 10:38:21 pm »

The web site findmypast.co.uk has just put online merchant seaman records, to look at these records you will need to register and then pay to see the records. I have a subscription with findmypast, so if anyone wants me to look for an ancestor sedn a PM me. This is what the site says about the records:-

What are these records?

The records are index cards which the Registrar General of Shipping and Seaman used between the two world wars to produce a centralised index of merchant seamen serving on British merchant navy vessels. They cover the period 1918-1941.

The merchant navy consists of all seagoing UK vessels with commercial interests and their crews.

How will the records help me?

When you search these records, it is usually possible to find out the following key information about your ancestor: name, year and place of birth and rank or rating. Sometimes you will be able to see a physical description of your ancestor and a photograph.

Your ancestor's record may provide other useful details, such as discharge number, health insurance number, address of kin, list of official vessel numbers and signing-on dates.

People from across the globe can be found in the records, including the UK, Canada, the West Indies, Sierra Leone, Scandinavia, Somaliland, China and Japan

Regards

Brian

dave301bounty

Re: Merchant Navy Seaman Records
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 07:33:47 pm »

Thanks for this ,I will be trying to have a look ,at the moment ,,the computers are so very slow ,dont know why ,but very annoying ,but thanks again .Dave .
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 19 queries.