Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Robbe U47 (U96) re-fit  (Read 11522 times)

eddieboote

Robbe U47 (U96) re-fit
« on: September 06, 2011, 10:13:03 pm »

Started the refit in August. I know i should have taken some photos from the beginning. I have a U-47, seriously modified to a VIIC. I'm done with the standard system, and concerns with the whole inner section stretching and breaking. Have gine for the bayonet system, and tech rack.

eddieboote

Re: Robbe U47 (U96) re-fit
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 10:16:44 pm »

Here one half of the bayonet in the main section; i had to be very careful with the dremil. Later it will be perfectly flat and levelled off

eddieboote

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 10:22:25 pm »

Here the stern section. I've installed some alternative mini hitec servos, very close to the end. This is to save space. Many people make the mistake to have the space here redundant, with the motors too far back, and the std servo forward of the motors. More on this later.

eddieboote

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 10:29:10 pm »

The Engel tank and motors soon to be introduced. A lot of checking, measuring before deciding. For the moment I await replacement bellows for the rubber and rear planes. Can't bond in the assembly before.

timsenecal

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 04:41:08 am »

some major surgery.

that's an 825ml ballast tank?

eddieboote

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 12:31:35 pm »

some major surgery.

that's an 825ml ballast tank?

Yeap. It's one of the earlier versions but 825ml. Was looking at the places I have available for all the stuff I need to re-install. 2x7.2volt (5300mAH NiMH) batteries will be up front(more on this later). Plastic tube running through that area to protect the threaded bar that exits the tank on diving. Above will be RX, Ballast control, and diesel engine sound/amplifier. Then working back, the tank, then in an area forward the motors one relay reverse switch, and multi switch (accessories), then the motors. Then the MP3 player and accessory battery pack. Then the rear plane servo, and rudder servo (already in position).

eddieboote

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 12:43:32 pm »

Batteries. I had some old Tornado 7.2volt (4300mAH NiMH) batteries. I recently bought some replacement but more gumff at 5300mAH. Only cost me around 55euros off french e-bay all in for the pair. Yes 55€ !! I was unsure, but these batteries are fine, and last. I took out 'The Grim-Rippers' U-47 (std build), with the thirsty std motors for a run at my nearest lake. I bought his boat during the St Albans meeting. This is a future project to make a VIID Minelayer (another post later). Anyway this was to check distance of the radio, and duration of these batteries. I must have gone up and down about 10times with over 150m distance (just surface runs). The boat ran fine, and I only stopped after more less 1hr 30minutes because of the weather (also shopping for err indoors) >>:-(. The batteries weren't dead. I packed up and checked. Motors red hot (normal). Batteries a bit warm. Forget the expensive US branded jobbies. I can provide the details (if forum rules okay). Nothing in it for me, just a case of helping people. Next post more on the rework.

thegrimreaper

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 07:29:06 pm »

The grim Ripper   >>:-(  {-)  {-)  {-)  {-) I hope that is just a typo glad your having fun with the old U47 am trying to persuade SWMBO to let me have another on so I can have a go at converting to static dive

Regards Mark

eddieboote

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 11:37:54 am »

Yeah 'grim-reaper', not 'grim-ripper', unless you're Australian  :-)) Wanted to take some pictures and video while testing your old boat, but was having too much fun. Using 2x7.2volts. Goes alright, but not enough to take her down, also need to load more weight. Getting the front plans working too would be better. I see you locked them striaght. I'll start the VIID mod, on your old boat when my original one is up and running again.

eddieboote

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 07:59:24 am »

Bit of calculating over the weekend. See images. The 2x7.2volt (5300), will be slung underneath (lowest centre of gravity), to reduce rocking of the boat. RX on top, with ballast control, and relay reverse switch for the up & down movement of the periscope.

eddieboote

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 08:05:05 am »

For the back section and the motors and speed controler. Behind, will be where the accessory battery pack are positioned (again low down), then multy switch, then MP3 player. Next step is to open out the holes for the motor shafts to pass (without touching the alu plate).  

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 11:33:04 pm »

How's the refit going haven't seen any new pic's
Who's conning tower did you use?
 {:-{

BailingBen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 11:48:22 am »

i have a model of u96 and in doining reasearch found out it didnt actually have a net cutter at the bow

Silent Running

• Shipmate
  • Can anyone smell burning?
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 08:53:18 pm »

Here one half of the bayonet in the main section; i had to be very careful with the dremil. Later it will be perfectly flat and levelled off

Where do you get the bayonette parts from Eddie?

Ian.
I'm unique, just like everybody else.

bbdave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 09:03:59 pm »

Engel or Norbert Bruggen sell the bayonet rings i got mine from Dream arts

Dave

eddieboote

• Shipmate
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2012, 12:02:20 pm »

Hello everyone. I'm back again. Over a year since I touched my U-boat project. Started again last few weeks. Tech frame is set, as are the bayonet fittings. Working on correct placement of the motors. Will post new photos in next few days, promise. %%

eddieboote

• Shipmate
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2012, 09:57:35 pm »

Where do you get the bayonette parts from Eddie?

Ian.

Looking through my receipts, I got mine from Piranha-Modellbau, Germany. Website www.modelluboot.eu   It cost me 150€ for the tech rack & Bayonet fittings inc sending to me (all in total price). Bloke is called Thomas Kuch. Helpfull guy.  He had an advert on ebay.de. I bargained for a discount. His add doesn't seem to be there now though. Use google translate if your German isn't up to scratch. Seems like Robbe have stopped making, selling U-boats. U-47 isn't online it seems. Anyone know why? Very popular kit I thought.  {:-{

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2012, 06:43:51 am »

yep both the seawolf and the U47 have ceased production :(
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2012, 09:05:47 am »

From what I've heard their entire marine range has been discontinued.

eddieboote

• Shipmate
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2012, 10:32:32 am »

Crazy to stop production of the U-47. I have Grim Reepers boat, that I'm intending to turn into a V11D (other project). I wrote to Robbe, asking if I could buy extra hull sections, and the inner WTC tube. Need to extend the boat in length. I guess with U-47 ceased now, impossible to get these parts. With people hunting and paying a fortune for un-made U-47 kits even more so.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2012, 10:42:22 am »

Yeah its certainly made me think twice about buying one
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2012, 12:39:37 pm »

You can use acrylic or PVC tubing instead of the original, and make some plaster casts of the hulls and mould your own from GRP- they'll be stronger than original, and it's not like you're doing Robbe out of a sale.

merriman

• Full Mayhemer
  • I wanna go back ....
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2012, 03:12:17 am »

No!

Do not make copies. That property is not ours to steal.

A cessation of production is not a license to pirate their good works!

By this logic (displayed by Andy, above), we should feel comfortable knocking off GATO parts the moment Revell puts those tools to the side for a year or two. That's stealing, so is the act of knocking off U-47 parts without the owners permission.

Too many in this game are fast-and-loose with others work -- making tools off other peoples work, other peoples PROPERTY!

Don't strike tools and/or make copies of others property without the owners permission. Unless you want to chase the Players in this hobby of ours out of the game.

And my admonition here applies to those who use the old excuse: "it's only for personal use". You want that part, buy it on the open market, through a source that sells original goods, not knock-offs!

David
"Anything the human mind can conceive is possible -- you know that, Blake!"

bikerdude999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2012, 09:49:48 am »

You can use acrylic or PVC tubing instead of the original, and make some plaster casts of the hulls and mould your own from GRP- they'll be stronger than original, and it's not like you're doing Robbe out of a sale.

Indeed and if you mess up a couple of times, no big loss cos you can always make up another section!

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2012, 11:29:26 am »

You want that part, buy it on the open market, through a source that sells original goods, not knock-offs!

David

Well the other option is to take lines off the original, make a new master and mould that. Only thing is, if you make a decent job of it, noone will know the difference, and you might still be suspected of taking a mould off the original- can you win?

It doesn't look like a brief hiatus in production- Robbe have chopped their entire marine range, having been in the game for decades. Clearly there isn't sufficient profit margin for them to continue production.

I think there is a difference between making copies of a part to sell on, or perhaps make another boat on the cheap, and making parts to keep a boat running when spare parts are not available for love or money- then you're left with an expensive piece of junk.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.