Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cabin Boy on Calypso  (Read 1694 times)

Graham Clark

Cabin Boy on Calypso
« on: September 07, 2011, 08:26:36 pm »

Thank goodness I have found this forum, because I am going to need more help as I proceed with the construction of a Billings Calypso near Bristol (purchased mail order in Austria from Schweighofer).
Not my first model boat. That was a Graupner Elke 30 years ago, followed 10 years ago by a small (non-floating) wooden dutch shrimping boat of about 1900. Last, was a small RAF Air Sea Rescue Launch.
I am not much of a model maker, but anything is better than television.
I have already found Don's thread on building the Calypso of great value (I did a Google search for 'build Billings Calypso'), so I reckoned it would be a good idea to join this forum and pick your collective brains, for which I thank you in advance.
Unfortunately, our local Church had the lead stolen from the roof (not by me) so I must now look elsewhere for 6-7 lb of Pb.

MikeA

Re: Cabin Boy on Calypso
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 09:20:56 pm »

no it was martin who had that  %)

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Cabin Boy on Calypso
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 09:53:13 pm »

Graham,
Forget all the instructions for internal fitting out.
Get as much as you can as deep inside the hull.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Graham Clark

Re: Cabin Boy on Calypso / lead ballast
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 09:23:29 pm »

Bob, thanks for the tip on internal fitting out. I think I have found a useful guru in Mike at Waverley Models. Now I need some advice on ballasting with lead.
I had the good fortune today to pick up 9 lb of scrap roofing sheet lead. Looks ideal for the purpose to me.
Question: should I pack in as much as I can below the internal baseboard? Or might that be too much? Has anyone got an accurate estimate of what I will need? Is this a critical weight?
Also, any ideas for making it fit snugly? Adhesive necessary between lead and hull?
All advice gratefully received.

Please don't forget to put your location on your profile

**     Ken   **

Graham Clark

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Calypso Window Cutting
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 05:15:01 pm »

Now that winter has arrived, my Calypso is back on the slipway and I need to cut perspex porthole windows. As well as I can measure, the diameters of the two sizes of transparent panel are 6.86 mm and 4.92 mm respectively. I have looked through my toolbox and have nothing that will punch/cut to this size. Can a forum member point me to a suitable tool(s) or other remedy?
I did a trial hull float in the Spring with lead down below, motors, batteries, speed controller etc., and it sits nicely in the water.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 22 queries.