Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ebay are the charges over the top now.  (Read 3443 times)

elvis

ebay are the charges over the top now.
« on: September 08, 2011, 06:53:37 am »

hi all.
does any one else think that the charges on ebay are now way over the top.
just sold some goods on there and i got £411 for the stuff, ebay wants £47, paypal takes another 3%.
seems a little expensive now to sell on the bay.
all the best
dave {:-{

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
Re: ebay are the charges over the top now.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 08:00:54 am »

How much do you think the local auction house would charge?Last time we sold something they charged 15% plus VAT!

Barrie

nhp651

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 08:13:06 am »

How much do you think the local auction house would charge?Last time we sold something they charged 15% plus VAT!

Barrie

and some charge even more than that Barrie, plus on ebay you have a world wide audience.

I know I bang on about them, but only their "after sales" customer service and accountability...............is there any alternative seller who reaches the same audience..........sadly not.

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 08:51:23 am »

wait for free listing days, or try selling on gumtree    its free :-))

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 09:26:06 am »

wait for free listing days, or try selling on gumtree    its free :-))

Doesn't help much, because even though the listing is free you still get stung on the total sale price.  <:( <:(

What is needed is another on line auction site in competition with ebay.

Nige52

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 09:31:01 am »

There used to be a couple of competitors for eBay, but I haven't heard of them for a while, I don't even know if they're still trading.... :P

mariner4222

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 09:52:35 am »

There is one called ebid still going. has British and US sites. Don't know what their charges are. Word had it they used to charge a flat fee per item.

catengineman

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 10:00:08 am »

Also ebuyer.com
I also can not tell you costs etc as I seldom use auction sites.
but I have sold on eBay though I have had reasonable costs IMHO

The long Build

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 12:55:25 pm »

Yes the charges are getting silly particularly as they originally advertised how easy it was to sell items for 99p !! for which you would be lucky to walk away with 20p

The Current trend seems to be that in a majority of times if there are any issues they favour the Buyer , you only have to read their boards to see that this is the case..
They also Cap Charges for books,Dvds and other items to the point that you have no option but to add the postage costs on to the starting price..Only reason for this was that Ebay do not/did not take a cut of the postage  (Paypal Did)  so now as they are both effectively the same company they get a double payout.

All that being said it is to me the easiest way to move surplus Items.. 

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 01:07:15 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 01:26:31 pm »

ebid is very cheap - either free listing and 3% of sale price or £1 listing and no final value fee. You dont have to accept Paypal either if you dont want to.

catengineman

The long Build

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 05:47:04 pm »

http://www.ebuyer.com/

is that any help Martin

Thought that Ebuyer was only a site you can buy from , you don't bid and I'm sure you can not sell your own Items..?

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 05:48:33 pm »

Me too.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

fatcat123

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 06:11:35 pm »

Ebay's charges were over the top a long time ago.

I havnt used the site for years and will never use them again to sell anything. I only pay by cheque or cash.

I have the theory that less is more. If they made it more affordable and worthwhile for people to sell stuff on there, im sure they would have a bigger turnover in the long run.

Dan

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2011, 06:21:58 pm »

I did see a report that it is the larger 'businesses' that make the most money for Ebay and that individuals with low value items are being seen as a bit of a nuisance. perhaps the idea is to price them out in which case there might well be space for competitors to come in underneath.

Must admit I've never used Ebay myself although I did sign up.

My current nemesis is Amazon with their one click purchase, see it and buy it. I ordered a book last night and it was delivered this morning! My wife has commandeered it as a Christmas present though.  <:(

(Still, little does she know that there is another one being delivered tomorrow....)

Colin

Philipsparker

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2011, 06:29:34 pm »

Ebay's charges were over the top a long time ago.

I havnt used the site for years and will never use them again to sell anything. I only pay by cheque or cash.

I have the theory that less is more. If they made it more affordable and worthwhile for people to sell stuff on there, im sure they would have a bigger turnover in the long run.

It's hardly like there is a shortage of stuff on eBay so they probably aren't that worried. As someone said, it needs a rival. Setting one up is easy, there are plenty of free Persl scripts to do this and a decent techie could have the basics up in a day.

The problems is, are you going to sell on there ? Of course not, you will go to eBay because the pool of potential bidders is much larger and so you would expect a better chance of a sale and higer final price.

And it would be a brave man who went to the board to suggest dropping the fees because they "might" end up with a bigger profit. The fellow members would point out that more items equals more cost (server/bandwidth etc.) to the business and that they were doing very nicely now.

Phil

gwa84

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2011, 06:32:44 pm »

i regularly sell on ebay and the costs have been going up stedaly for the past 3 years and don't get me started on there favoritism towards buyers and sheer prejudice regards sellers it seems all you have to do is say i don't like the color blue this item is and bang refund and they get to keep it and your out of pocket  >>:-(
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.