Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: courier services, or parcel service.  (Read 21248 times)

nhp651

courier services, or parcel service.
« on: September 08, 2011, 06:52:30 pm »

which is the cheapest.

i have to get a Speedline Severn lifeboat that i have just sold  packaged in two parcels down to Reading Berkshire.

it's in two packages as it's so large..the hull is 60" x 20" x 15".

can any one recommend FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE please which carrier to use and the safest to use, and if you have links, yes please.

cheers,
neil.

treeboa

Re: courier services, or parcel service.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 07:34:12 pm »

NOT ROYAL MAIL, IVE HAD PROBLEMS WITH DELICATE ITEMS WITH THEM  >:-o >:-o

nhp651

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 08:51:21 pm »

Thanks treeboa..................yes...had dealings with them myself, sadly at great expense to myself......took them to court about a model they smashed even though it was put in a special wooden packing crate clearly marked which way up.....they dropped it upside down............and the judge said to me.case dismissed..."what do you expect when you entrust your pride and joy to a THIRD RATE CARRYING COMPANY"..........he must have had a prize piece of royal doulton smashed  hmself.lol

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 09:09:39 pm »

which is the cheapest.

i have to get a Speedline Severn lifeboat that i have just sold  packaged in two parcels down to Reading Berkshire.

it's in two packages as it's so large..the hull is 60" x 20" x 15".

can any one recommend FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE please which carrier to use and the safest to use, and if you have links, yes please.

cheers,
neil.

I tend to use a courier for large parcels. Works out cheaper than RM and usually better insurance.

This site give quotes for different options and allows more than one parcel to be quoted for (wouldnt always select the cheapest though!) http://www.interparcel.com/

HTH

nhp651

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 09:34:14 pm »

cheers mate..just looked them up.a decent price as well.
thanks.

where abouts in thornton are you.

neil

gwa84

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 12:41:24 am »

i use myherms very good service

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 06:26:33 am »

www.parcels2go.com

They are cheaper than dealing with the big couriers direct.

when I ship stuff to Finland I always use DHL via parcels2go and have never had a problem.  Things I have had shipped to Finland via dhl include a LCD computer screens, 30 class RC heli and a couple of boat hulls

Myhermes are very good as well.  They have the customer service thing down to a tee.
The guy arrived to deliver my parcel, got no answer at the door and instead of just leaving a card he called my mobile to say he was trying to deliver the parcel.  We were in the garden and didnt hear the doorbell.
Saved a lot of hassle that quick phonecall.

Parcel Force, I only use if the item is low value and non breakable
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 09:22:23 am »

Parcel Force, I only use if the item is low value and non breakable

And don't really expect them to deliver.   O0

Regards Ian
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 10:15:51 am »

And don't really expect them to deliver.   O0

Regards Ian

removed

Not work safe as contains language that some veiwers might find offensive
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

ACTion

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 12:18:11 pm »

I reckon if I'd just sold a grand's worth of lifeboat kit then I'd probably sit it carefully on the back seat of the car and treat myself to a day out in sunny Reading. Fortunately our units are pretty much bomb/ParcelFarce proof when packed, but it doesn't stop the idiots trying to convert them into pure energy. If not then they just lose 'em.
We too use Interparcel for heavy export shipments (>2Kg) and tend to choose the Fed-Ex option as their best service.
DM

nhp651

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 01:09:37 pm »

cheers guys, and thanks for all the advice.

i'd love to have a drive down to my old stomping ground of maidenhead/reading, dave....

unfortunately the back pains wouldn't let me.
lol

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 06:35:44 pm »

Have you managed to arrange the transport for the boat?

Just thinking outside the box.......
XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)

nhp651

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 11:03:16 pm »

hi Jb, just picked up on this............well, because of the sizes of the two boxes that the Severn were packed in, ( one box was on the absolute limit of 1.5 mtrs x 580mm x 550mm) every one wanted telephone numbers for taking them, so eventuallty against my better judgement I chose Parcel farce to collect and deliver for a fraction of what parcels2go and others wanted.........and guess what........................ %% %% %% %%

NO, YER ALL WRONG!!!!

they actually got it there this morning ( sent at 4.05pm Friday) and was all in one piece,...........absolutely no damage at all.

So thanks Parcel farce you did well................

Now , any one wanna buy a six foot Clyde lifeboat.........this one I'll deliver myself if the price is right, lol {-) {-) {-)

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 07:22:28 pm »

That's a relief then...delivered safe sound and in one piece, I did have an idea how it could be moved without too much expense and in safe hands, bit of a long shot and the logistics might have been awkward but no matter now its all sorted.

I've sent and received quite a few parcels including a boat by PF and RM and I've never had cause to complain...not yet anyway, I used to do a group flying club order once a month to a place down south and the supplier..Inwoods...and PF always delivered on time and never any damage, always had next day delivery though and anything I send now can be tracked online with a signature to prove delivery.

Just looking at the Clyde...wow...no I can't...!!! to big for me and the wife would not be best pleased %%

Hope you are keeping well.

JB.
XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)

Marks Model Bits

• No Mustang Mark
  • Full Mayhemer
  • http://marksmodelbits.com/
    • Marks Model Bits
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 07:36:38 pm »

We use Parcel Force regularly, sent a sub to Spain recently using PF and the parcel arrived 3 days later with the same number of pieces in the box as there was when I packed it!!

Mark.
I HAVE NOT FAILED, I HAVE FOUND 1000 WAYS THAT DON'T WORK.!!!!

http://marksmodelbits.com/

nhp651

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2011, 11:03:38 pm »

Just looking at the Clyde...wow...no I can't...!!! to big for me and the wife would not be best pleased %%

Hope you are keeping well.

JB.
i've got a trolley that it fits on Jb.you just unstrap it and she launches herself, just like the Lizzard lifeboat, lol..............simmpppllleeeessss

yes, mate...keeping well, and getting on with the FLYING CHRISTINE ambulance launch,.....and you???.

Kozmyk

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 01:07:58 am »

I had to send a parcel to China this week and I got a shock when I started looking at prices.
A Google search led me to Yahoo Answers and these guys:
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/cheap-parcel-delivery
Transglobal turned out to be the cheapest I could find anywhere.
The parcel went through them via UPS at 2/3 the price that UPS quoted, and 1/3 of Parcel Force's quote.

For national deliveries there's a HeliAddict called "millerman" who has organised deals for fellow helliaddicts and may well extend a similar service to other modellers.
Ask him:
http://www.rcheliaddict.co.uk/sale/53125-rcha-courier-service.html
With him you know you'll be getting a courier who understands models.

Failing that, if MSE were that good for international it'd be a good bet that you'd find a good deal nationally as well.

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2011, 12:51:54 pm »

I've got a trolley that it fits on Jb.you just unstrap it and she launches herself, just like the Lizzard lifeboat, lol..............simmpppllleeeessss

yes, mate...keeping well, and getting on with the FLYING CHRISTINE ambulance launch,.....and you???.

The winter weather doesn't do me any good! I'll slow down if its gets really wet and cold, I'm hoping to make the Blackpool show this time even if its only for a couple of hours...have to see how I manage, might buy something to keep me occupied as the kit I have now won't take very long once I sort the running gear.

Interesting choice with the Flying Christine...nice...different too...scratch build I assume?

I've found some info and came across this youtube video, maybe you've already seen it, just 2 mins or so long and a very nice piece at the end :-))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA-l1wayCUU

JB.

Dekan

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2011, 05:25:25 pm »

My experience of Parcel Force is they are expensive...

I have received several items, recently, through parcel force. All  had vat and customs charges + an additional £8 processing charge..

One of the item's "charges" exceeded it's value ie £21 became £57 by the time it was delivered

A plan for a RC glider from the USA,I considered buying last year cost £15....postage would have cost an extra £12.50 ...

3 item received through carriers from Hong Kong, no vat, no customs or handling charge..So draw your own conclusions   

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2011, 06:16:55 pm »

Received a jiffy bag from Cornwall Model boats on Saturday via RM
Inside amongst other things another jiffy bag with a Graupner helmsman figure
RM had managed to dismember him.
Superglue and ten mins fixed him apart from a thumb which I can't find
Not worth bothering Malcolm over

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 22 queries.