Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Petrol Stn Forecourts  (Read 4191 times)

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
Petrol Stn Forecourts
« on: September 09, 2011, 10:35:47 am »

Hello,

I wonder could anyone please answer this question for me.

As of late I have seen a trend towards drivers that are going into petrol stations to fill up with fuel approach the forecourt and if there are  cars at each pump stop at the entrance to the station ie completely IN THE ENTRANCE to the forecourt, ( even if there is another 50 to 60 ft to the sets of pumps with no other vehicles there ) just off the road and wait there blocking access into the station for anyone else that may require groceries or water, or to check their tyre pressures etc or use the car wash. >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

People used to go INTO the station and que at the pump directly behind the vehicles that are filling up leaving the entrance clear.
Our local Supermarket is a classic example people do this and not only block the entrance to the forecourt but also the roundabout that it is on and the exit road, it is as if they cannot work out what is going on or deliberately just want to cause the maximum inconvienience to any one else, it is a completely selfish thing to do.

Last time I filled up I mentioned this to the staff at the station and they completely agreed saying that they think the people are just thick !.
They have even put up signs telling people to come into the station but yet they still do it ????????????? <*< <*<
Why !

Ok rant over ill go and find my Teddy.

regards to all
Sub.

treeboa

Re: Petrol Stn Forecourts
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 10:42:56 am »

i found out years ago how to alleviaten this issue for myself, i converted my diesels to run on veg oil, now other than the occasional sortie to top up the small aux warmup/shut down tank with diesel i now fill up at home

only issue now is the uncontrolled laughing as i pass the `tax` stations   {-) {-) {-) 

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 10:44:36 am »

Ahh so yours is the one that smells like the mobile chippie them.  :D :D

treeboa

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 11:09:34 am »

Ahh so yours is the one that smells like the mobile chippie them.  :D :D

dunno as i dont stand behind it - having said that people who like to tailgate dont stay too close for too long  {-) {-), i had some idiot boy racer on the a19 a few months back, two lanes so overtaking not a problem, now also bear in mind i drive a mitzi warrior

now all i could see was the back of thier roof in my mirors they were that close, im starting to wonder if they are trying to write on the tailgate, so bootfull of the loud pedal, three kebabs, a bucket of  chips and three pairs your best smelly socks please smell hoools out those back facing exhausts, boy racer after initially keeping pace suddenly looks like hes slammed on, at this i notice the sun roofs open, the windows are open and theres a car full of very unhappy chappies and chappess`s looking a bit green, me im happy as a monkey in a banana crop, , next thing hes back, i cant believe it, i assume hes trying to intimidate me being close in behind, so drop a cog, boot it - turbo kicks in and i see the cloud behind me, backs off rapidly again and still the roof n windows are open, back he comes, again i can just about see his roof, this time i had a better idea, wait till hes close then put the lights and rear fogs on, this time he was not just moving backwards but hes obviously in panic mode thinking i have slammed on and hes skidded onto the hard shoulder

penny must have dropped as he then came back and overtook me, one was screaming i need to learn how to drive  {-) {-) {-) {-)

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 12:26:23 pm »

I think its a lack of confidence, a lot of motorist's...word used loosely...! are not sure what to do in a confined space, I see the same at local supermarket car parks, poor car control also, read your post just before I had to go to local town, on my way back I often stop at the SS for fuel, quiet time usually, here's a photo of what I saw!!!

I see this all the time and you are right about the blocking of entrances to stations, I usually just make them aware I'm behind and they normally shift out the way O0

XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)

ACTion

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 12:29:46 pm »

In answer to the original question I'd guess it's so that they can see which pump first becomes vacant and get to it ahead of everyone else. It's a bit like being able to stand back and spot the supermarket checkout where the idiot customer is about to create havoc without finding yourself in the same queue.
My favourite example of folk trying to be first off the block is the clown who stands about three feet out into the road from the kerb, presumably expecting me to stop and let him complete crossing the road - usually at some arbitrary and/or dangerous spot and never at a proper crossing. I like these best when a) it's wet or raining, and b) he has new white trainers on...................  :P
DM

The long Build

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 12:33:34 pm »

Ours que on the side their petrol cap is, so you have 3/4 cars waiting.. I just drive into the empty bay put the filler round the back of the car and fill up, its amazing how many in the ques then must think Oh Never thought of that... :}

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 12:43:38 pm »

Im amazed at the number of people at fuel stations that will only use a pump  which is on the same side as the car filler! Still, helps me get fuel quicker because I dont bother, if the pump is free I just use two of the disposable gloves, one on each hand, hold the pipe off the car with one hand and fill, even if the filler cap is on the other side of the car!

As for using cooking oil, dont do that if you have a common rail diesel. Cooking oil is only good for the older pump systems. You still have to notify HMRC that you are using or making a bio fuel. And if you use more than 2500 litres, you still have to pay duty on the full amount on all the fuel used.

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 12:44:12 pm »

I remember this youtube vid from some time ago, don't know if the link will work as I've never posted one before...!

search for woman petrol station forecourt if it doesn't...its dated 4 jan 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-wvz3Y99ug
XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 01:13:51 pm »

. It's a bit like being able to stand back and spot the supermarket checkout where the idiot customer is about to create havoc without finding yourself in the same queue.

DM
Never saw you behind me your greatness, I could cause a till roll to run out just by joining the queue or the woman in front not having enough money to pay her bill and having to put some of her shopping back.   
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 01:27:58 pm »

Never saw you behind me your greatness, I could cause a till roll to run out just by joining the queue or the woman in front not having enough money to pay her bill and having to put some of her shopping back.   

Oh she shops there as well?
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 01:48:49 pm »

Mmmmm,
Thx for the replies, i don't think that is the case Action as you can sometimes just drive around the numpty and fill up a lot quicker than they do just by going to a pump thats being used, maybe its what some of the others have said it because they are too thick to realise that modern petrol stations have longer hoses fitted at the pumps so you can fill up at any pump regardless as to which side the petrol flap is on.

It appears that some people these days cannot think for themselves any more, and are oblivious to anyone else around them..........sad reflection I think. 

Regards.
Sub.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 03:12:18 pm »

Ours que on the side their petrol cap is, so you have 3/4 cars waiting.. I just drive into the empty bay put the filler round the back of the car and fill up, its amazing how many in the ques then must think Oh Never thought of that... :}
I quite agree with you....to a point. If I was to put the filler cap on the "wrong" side of the car then I wouldn't be able to read the rather dim digital display on the pump! The pump being just at the distance where reading glasses are too short and the driving glasses too long. Just a thought. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 06:16:13 pm »

It's a bit like being able to stand back and spot the supermarket checkout where the idiot customer is about to create havoc without finding yourself in the same queue.
Ever since barcode readers became common, it's been a tradition, or an ancient charter or something that on many checkout trips I WILL have something that the reader can't.  Come to think of it, I could do much the same before...
A lot of the "I can only fill from the side where the cap is" lot simply don't know where their filler cap actually is.  As I recall, all pumps used to have a visibly long hose, it's the more modern ones that look like they only have short ones which extend and retract, to the mystification of the numptys. 
Perhaps F1 could be enlivened by the reintroduction of fuel stops, with the driver doing his own filling, and getting a time bonus for having a card receipt printed.  Forming an orderly queue at the pump might be a problem....
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

The long Build

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 06:22:25 pm »

I quite agree with you....to a point. If I was to put the filler cap on the "wrong" side of the car then I wouldn't be able to read the rather dim digital display on the pump! The pump being just at the distance where reading glasses are too short and the driving glasses too long. Just a thought. BY.
Point Taken , but you could just stop filling for a few seconds move closer then start filling or finish, But would be a bit of a pain.., I always fill it to the top so just wait for it to click..
 The only thing I get is when I get in a que I get some numpty who takes forever or vanishes into the shop for a day or stops to chat to someone they know..

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2011, 06:22:59 pm »

Ever since barcode readers became common, it's been a tradition, or an ancient charter or something that on many checkout trips I WILL have something that the reader can't.  Come to think of it, I could do much the same before...
A lot of the "I can only fill from the side where the cap is" lot simply don't know where their filler cap actually is.  As I recall, all pumps used to have a visibly long hose, it's the more modern ones that look like they only have short ones which extend and retract, to the mystification of the numptys. 
Perhaps F1 could be enlivened by the reintroduction of fuel stops, with the driver doing his own filling, and getting a time bonus for having a card receipt printed.  Forming an orderly queue at the pump might be a problem....

And the free drinks glasses with every purchase.....

Maybe some BBQ briquettes as well
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2011, 06:33:29 pm »

And the free drinks glasses with every purchase.....

Maybe some BBQ briquettes as well
Ah yes - the Chunky tumblers.
I think it was Admiral Povey at a meeting trying to figure out if he had enough cash to put enough juice in his motor to get the vouchers he needed to complete his set of chunky tumblers.
This is getting dangerously close to boats again - that was from a "Navy Lark" episode.
Jos Verstappen might have had a use for the barbie fuel.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCykFawdq40
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2011, 08:24:07 pm »

You want to try delivering to these forecourt shops in an HGV, it can be a nightmare, especially in an artic.  %%  The amount of idiots I see is beyond belief, I had one 'customer' moan at me the other week because they had to GET OUT of their car to use the cash point ATM machine because I'd 'inconsiderately' parked my truck near it. I just walked away, oh how I laughed, Dave.  O0 {-) O0

craftysod

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2011, 10:10:23 pm »

What annoys me,i pull up to the hgv pump in my lorry,some idiot in a transit is filling up.
Or the garage has put the air/water pump for hgv's,2 feet away from the pump,and some prat in a car is checking everything.
Mark

Spook

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2011, 09:04:15 pm »

My local Tesco petrol station is having it's unleaded tanks repaired, so only premium unleaded amd diesel are available, at selected pumps only. So EVERYONE is stopping at the entrance, as nobody has a clue where to go. Happy days!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.